Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Advisors
View Poll Results: What advisors do you use?
Commissars 42 47.73%
Psykers 16 18.18%
Priests 15 17.05%
None 15 17.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08 Oct 2008, 00:23   #1 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Default Advisors

So what advisors do you use in your army? What background/history do they have (if any)? And how do you prefer to equip them?

Priests seem illogical in an IG army, so I'm interested if anyone takes them.
Psykers are an advisor I'm thinking of taking, being cheap and random, but requiring a doctrine point use.
As for Commissars, they're cool and I would take them if it wasn't for the Summary Execution rule. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind so much getting taken out by friendly fire, it's just that it seems final from a narrative perspective. I like to have one Officer leading my army through my battles, and if he gets killed I can explain it away as getting injured so he can no longer participate int he battle. I've thought about non-fatal shots, with the Commissar just 'incapacitating' him but it seems a bit soft. How do you get around it, or do you just ignore those battles where it occurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2008, 00:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Advisors

In 5th, I won't be taking any, because in 1/3 of my games do I want even more kill points? :

I like the models and fluff for both Commissars and Psykers, but can't really justify them in a list. I might possibly take Independent Commissars, as the last place I would put normal Commissars are in command squads.

I still have 2 Commissars and plan on getting a few more just for the models and use in Apocalypse.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2008, 00:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

You know, this is a subject I've always found interesting. For instance:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=590.45 (scroll to the bottom)

An ancient piece, to be fair, but hell, its somewhere in the archives of Tau Online

Just as they order me, I...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Guard Ed. 3
Always take 2-3 Commissars.
...even in smaller games. They really serve to hold the line, as there's nothing more annoying than capable units running away. I have to say the most fun is when a Commissar summarily executes an officer, there's nothing quite like the look on your opponents face.

I was playing one game against Blood Angels. My opponent dropped a Vindicator shell right on my Command HQ. The pysker and 2 guardsmen instantly turned to a fine red mist. However, a fully kitted out HQ remained, that had, in previous games, bested his Death Company, destroyed tanks, and even slain his commanders and chaplains.

I rolled the die for a leadership test, and lo, a five and a six.

My Commissar turned to the most expensive single man in my army, and shot him in the face. Needless to say, it was absolutely hilarious.

Commissars are like Demo Charges. I've had games where they scatter right back and wipe out the squad that threw it, their enemy just scratching their heads and looking around. They can kill your own units, but they are so much fun to use.

As for pyskers, I think the Perils of the Warp is stupid. Between myself and my friend, we decided to buy a Deamon model, and when a pysker suffers the attack, the Deamon (who has close to 10 attacks, he's all kitted out with Khornate gifts) appears, and most of the time ends up killing everyone nearby. At that point, my friend and I concentrate on killing the Deamon, then turn to our own battle.

As for priests, I'm not a fan. Not because of the rules, I frankly like 'em, but there's no real great models out.

Which means, of course, that I plan to sculpt one. But he's on the waiting list, I've many more projects before him, notably a Savlar kill-team and a few tank-crew.

And, I don't think you can get around the summary execution rule fluffwise. Shooting someone in the face or back of the skull isn't really something to lay a Band-Aid over. Fluffwise, if he's executed, there is no return, I think.

Excellent topic!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 22:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

I use none becauese my IG are Traitors...well Gue'vesa. So none of the advisors make sense since Priest, Psyker, Commisar are all loyal to the Emperor.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 22:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I being a IG regiment fallen under the malign influences of chaos take 3-4 Enforcers (Commissars) and give them a power weapon. They work great for holding the line against assaults, and yes shooting (my own) guys in the face. I don't complain too much about this as I go for massed infantry waves, so it's nice when I can pass a moral check once in a while.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 07:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

What I find funny, is that there are currently 19 users voting, and 8 votes are allocated to none. Thus, you would assume that they didn't select anymore than that. But one of the other options has 12 votes, which, if none of the voters selected none as another option, leaves 20 voters. At least 1 person has selected both none and another option. ;D

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 07:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

I have always been a fan of Advisors in my Imperial Guard army. I've been using Commissars with my HQ as both for tactical advantages and packing in some good melee power. As a Commissar is not an IC, I love having him in my squad, pimpslapping him with a power fist whenever the Emperors Champion shows up snuffing my honorifica equipped Junior Officer..."Nobody kills my men, but me!"

I've also have a love for Priests, but I have never actually used them in a serious game. I just don't like what they do to the squad...In a tryout, some Khornites came too short for a charge which resulted in me having to charge them in return. It all ended with "CHAERG! 4 the Emprah!" And my very important squad got chainsawed in the face. It all might be fluffy to some point but going suicide with the most important lads in the army just doesn't feel right... Still. I love everything about the Imperial Creed. It has a fantastic feel to them. Which can be showed in most armies I play. I'm particularily proud of my Necromunda Redemptionists. You can't go much more fanatically religious than that.

I've also been a fan of Sanctioned Psykers... but I don't feel they are worth the points. I might choose them if I needed another body in the HQ squad. But not for much else. Technically a guardsman that could, perhaps, use an, under par, psychic power, maybe. And goes "kablooey" if he fluffs it.
...still, the models look awesome...so I bought a pack when I was in Nottingham :3

In my opinion, the entire Advisors section have needed a revision for a very long time. Even moreso with the new 5th ed. rules.
A pointsdrop and a larger spectre of use. Like the ability to put them in different squads. Perhaps having a "Master Advisor" in the HQ and then being free to add more advisors to any squad you want. (with certain restrictions of course...)
And making them not count towards kill points...
I feel a "buff" on several points is in order.
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 23:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Winter
I have always been a fan of Advisors in my Imperial Guard army. I've been using Commissars with my HQ as both for tactical advantages and packing in some good melee power. As a Commissar is not an IC, I love having him in my squad, pimpslapping him with a power fist whenever the Emperors Champion shows up snuffing my honorifica equipped Junior Officer..."Nobody kills my men, but me!"

I've also have a love for Priests, but I have never actually used them in a serious game. I just don't like what they do to the squad...In a tryout, some Khornites came too short for a charge which resulted in me having to charge them in return. It all ended with "CHAERG! 4 the Emprah!" And my very important squad got chainsawed in the face. It all might be fluffy to some point but going suicide with the most important lads in the army just doesn't feel right... Still. I love everything about the Imperial Creed. It has a fantastic feel to them. Which can be showed in most armies I play. I'm particularily proud of my Necromunda Redemptionists. You can't go much more fanatically religious than that.

I've also been a fan of Sanctioned Psykers... but I don't feel they are worth the points. I might choose them if I needed another body in the HQ squad. But not for much else. Technically a guardsman that could, perhaps, use an, under par, psychic power, maybe. And goes "kablooey" if he fluffs it.
...still, the models look awesome...so I bought a pack when I was in Nottingham :3

In my opinion, the entire Advisors section have needed a revision for a very long time. Even moreso with the new 5th ed. rules.
A pointsdrop and a larger spectre of use. Like the ability to put them in different squads. Perhaps having a "Master Advisor" in the HQ and then being free to add more advisors to any squad you want. (with certain restrictions of course...)
And making them not count towards kill points...
I feel a "buff" on several points is in order.
A priest with holy relic (Might not be worth the points) or a power weapon attacked to a group of hardened veterans with shotguns sounds pretty nice, but thats something to be tested later.

Oh you know what'd be cool?! A priest attached to a rough rider squad! For X ammount of points more, for sure (To get the 'fleet' horse) equip him and the leader guy with power weapons, and everyone else with hunting lances, and that should do some hurt.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 20:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Priests work well with assaulty command squads, if you take those (especially if you take warrior weapons and really stock up on priests). I once ran a 305 point command squad. Once. It cleaned up, actually, but it's something that only works once. Colonel with power sword, honorifica psycher with witchblade (hehe, jab at ancient eldar players), priest with eviscerator, comissar with power fist, four veterans with pistols and swords, it was glorious. Not something that belongs in an everyday army, though. I did know a guy with last chancers, first and only, and an inquisitor in his army. Tons of rock-hard T3 models, there!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2008, 18:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ah advisers. The meat and potatoes of all good command squads.
Well all combat command squads.
In my usual combat squad I have one of each.
Commissar Fredrikson is the oldest living man in the Regiment, well over 400 with juvenat treatment and heavy bionics. he uses the Traitors Bane, a powerfist made from a modified terminator gauntlet.
And Vengeance his stormbolter.

My Psyker is Deepthought age unknown. he is a beta class Psyker and a master of Biomancy. His merest touch on exposed flesh can cause instantaneous destabilisation of any organic matter and is capable of producing powerfields around his hands. However he is not suicidal and wields the Pyraxian Glaive, an ancient and deadly weapon, whenever possible.

And my priest is As of yet unnamed the other two have gotten most of the attention. of coarse he has an eviscerate and rosairius.
All characters above have Medallion Crimson, carapace armor, and bionics, the Psyker has an Honurifica Imperialis. these guys have done alot for me and i use them whenever possible.

First thing first, but not necessarily in that order! - Doctor Who

Fight well and Die well. What more can a guardsmen hope for?

Duality is key, good and evil, dark and light, only when both come toghether can man truly prosper.- Lord Bale

No matter what you do to me I am safe in the knowledge that nobody cares about me anyway!
Psyker11 is offline   Reply With Quote