Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Scout Sentinels and Flame Death
Old 04 Oct 2008, 23:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Scout Sentinels and Flame Death

Now in 5th edition you can fully utilize the sentinels scout move.

You can now outflank from the sides of the board with several heavy flamers.

You have 6" movement on the board than you can unleash the flames. This tactic will force your opponet if he's smart to keep his troops away from the sides forcing him to set up in the center for your leman russes to give them some love.

Also it would cause pressure with a couple of sentinels coming from the sides and using heavy flamers. Also it makes these cheap vehicles more viable to use and make them more deadlier in previous incantations.
Old 05 Oct 2008, 03:56   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Scout Sentinels and Flame Death

By RAW, you can't do this. Someone will later explain because I, honestly, don't how to explain. Just heard it from somewhere.

By RAI, yes! You can frakkin' do it. I've done it myself a few times and the problem with Outflanking, you got a 33.33...% of not getting to the side of the board you want. That's why I got Mars-Pattern Sentinels, just in case Cheap and good enough. But that's just me. I like to keep them cheap.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2008, 05:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What do you mean Zenai? It's perfectly legal by RAW unless I'm missing something. Outflanking states that units with inflitrate or scout special runs may outflank.

on the artical at hand. I love flamer sentinals, They work alright in this respect but I prefer Deep striking with flamer sentinals, I'm assuming you're playing drop troops here because flamer sentinals aren't as effective outside a drop troop army IMO(unless you play a lot of cityfight or on terrain dense tables). All you're opponent has to do is stay about 14 inches away from the board edge and you can't hit anything with you're heavy flamer.

add that on top of the fact there is a 33% chance they won't come on the side you want.

They are useful yes. But I think deep striking is better. If you don't play drop troops however this can be a good and cheap unit if you have decent luck.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2008, 06:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Forgot about the deepstrike part. Was gonna flank with veterans with 3 plasma rifles and a plasma pistol as well. But the new rules for deepstrike is a lot nicer so I'll think about it.

It's just I didn't want too buy the jump packs from forge world.

Still buying and working on my IG so I might keep the ds option in mind.
Old 05 Oct 2008, 12:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Flamers or autocannons?

Those units that stay at the back hurling high explosive shells at you don't normally have high AV.
Against Tau this really works as you can take out most of their units in CC without being harmed.
Just don't kill them too quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2008, 22:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

The RAW issue to which Zenai referred is that Sentinels don't technically have the 'scout' special rule. They've got a special rule called 'scouts'...that does the exact same thing. Only the most legalistic power gamer would ever call you on this though as it's a third edition codex, and if you ever come across anyone like that you really need to question why you're bothering to play them.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2008, 00:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ah so that's what he meant

... and I do know some assholes that do stuff like that...

thank god I haven't seen that guy for awhile.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2008, 20:50   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Only the most legalistic power gamer would ever call you on this though as it's a third edition codex, and if you ever come across anyone like that you really need to question why you're bothering to play them.
The reason you would play someone like that is to piss them off... >
If there that rule stingy then usually there also an extreme power gamer, and the one thing power gamers hate the most is someone who doesnt care if they win or lose to beat them... ;D
Old 07 Oct 2008, 23:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Heck, extreme power gamers *always* hate losing. So, break out the cheese, and have fun.

Seems like a great tactic, and one I'd gladly use. For many armies, being 14" away from the table edge is a real handicap(any gunline would probably be annoyed by it), and if Im facing an assault army, I don't HAVE to outflank them.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2008, 15:56   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've used this tactic to a great degree, and can say it works most of the time. Great for taking out rear gun emplacements, slow infantry (i mean really slow). IMO best 40pt i've ever spent.

- Deathodia920 -