Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ten Reasons To Play Imperial Guard
Old 30 Sep 2008, 18:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Ten Reasons To Play Imperial Guard

It could be argued, seeing as I received karma cookies for both my Ork and Dark Eldar articles, that I am simply trying to milk this as a cow for karma. A cow for karma? Fairly Hindu by my reckoning.

Anyway, that is not the case. This is the third and most probably last in this series of articles, and my reasoning for doing the Guard is fairly simple.

Orks are my latest army. Dark Eldar were my first army. Imperial Guard are an army I have never done, nor have I ever particularly wanted to do - unlike pretty much every other army in Warhammer 40,000.

So I'm doing this article as sort of a challenge =P finding 10 things I really like about the Guard and arranging them in the same fashion as the DE article, i.e. no numbers, and I can just feel that by the end of this article I will want to start a Guard army. However the wallet reels me in and I think this one may have to wait a while - however, one of my points here will feature a reference to what it will take to get me to play Guard.

Anyway, with no further ado and silliness on the part of the Circus here are ten reasons to play as your bog standard human chappy.

Variety
There are a million worlds in the Imperium, so they say. I reckon this number is a pretty conservative estimate, but still. That's room for probably every single Guard player to have their own unique regiment. Within the range we have models for Catachans, Cadians, Death Korps, Elysians, Steel Legion, Valhallans, Tallarns, Mordians, Vostroyans and Praetorians. Combine with other ranges from Fantasy (say Empire) or other ranges from 40k (perhaps even Tau) or perhaps stuff from Necromunda and you've got the conversion opportunity to show whatever kind of regiment you want. With the Doctrines you can even represent them on the tabletop to be different from the other regiments.

Sadly, many of these models are metal... or resin... and either way are expensive or otherwise hard to get hold of. But that's just a challenge and it doesn't stop most of us - just take a look at the chap we have here (is it Stankov? Not sure) who decided "Hey! Why not just SCULPT my own Rough Riders!"

Men and Guns are fine, but give me more Tanks!
Okay, no army has more tanks than the Guard. Basilisks, Demolishers... pick up IA and you've got a stupid amount of armour you can field. IA started with just Guard stuff, and it's only increased so there's an absolutely ridiculous number. Some of these are rather expensive but... hey, a Malcador is worth it. Tell you what else is worth it - the Stormblade. Plasma cannons just aren't enough. If it's not a Blastgun it doesn't count. Damn I love the Stormblade. Arkurian Pattern conversion kits are great news too for our wallets. But this point leads me nicely onto...

The Space Wolf Connection
This one warrants its own point. Tanks are nice and that covers Malcador chassis, Baneblade chassis and Chimera chassis but the Leman Russ stands apart. The Leman Russ itself, the basic one, is lovely on its own but there are so many different variants (see Imperial Armour =P) and they're all useful in their own right and that's damn cool. What's even better is that they're named after everyone's favourite Primarch, the hairy barbarian metal fan himself Leman Russ. And if you field a Tank Company, which actually aren't as filthy beard as they at first appear, you can have an army of them. And the ones from the second point. Tanks tanks tanks. Just drop pie plates all over everybody and see them get covered with appley goodness.

Techpriests
I'm not sure why I felt these guys warranted their own point. Oh wait, yeah I am. You guys all got Techpriest models? No? Well look up the picture.

Look at his axe.

Yep, that's why.

Weird Shit
Ogryns and Ratlings. People don't tend to use them so much, but they are pretty cool. The fact that Ripper Guns (apart from being called Rippers, which just reminds me of UT, which can only be remembered fondly - more fondly than Gorkamorka anyway as my UT playing buddies had a distinct lack of twats in their number) have an ammo inhibitor to stop Ogryns accidentally shooting their buddies - not because they try to, but because they just get carried away. That's cool. Ratlings are funky mainly because of a themed battle report in one of my first White Dwarfs - back when they were good - anyone remember Glazer's Farm? With the Praetorians vs Orks? Hooky the Ratling Sniper. Now he was cool. You can have a whole squad! Admittedly in 5th with changes to sniper rules they're not quite as good but they're still worth taking - I remember when the Guard Codex came out in the Designer's Notes they had a section called "Putting the Imperial back into Imperial Guard." Ratlings, Ogryns and Sanctioned Psykers (who I'm not too fussed about) remind us that we're in the 41st Millennium. Which is good, because I know far too many Guard players who seem to forget it's a sci-fi game. And it leads me neatly onto...

You Better Watch Out...
Commissars. You run away, they shoot you. Damn that's cool. We'll have no cowards in my army, because anyone who shows any signs GETS SHOT. Now THAT is military justice, executed (literally) on the battlefield. And they have mega cool uniforms. I'm just not a big fan of the pseudo-religious side of the Imperium. It kind of lends justification to them being evil bastards, and I'd rather they were just... just evil bastards. That'd appeal more to me. But I can't deny a big chunk of the fluff! ;D (Unlike some of you :)

Drop Troops
Paratroopers are cool enough in the present day. They're even cooler with grav chutes. Even if they could do with being a bit more effective perhaps. I quite like BS4 ^_^ but with Drop Troops there's also the added coolness of the Vulture and Valkyrie, which are just plain groovy. It shows that it's not just the Tau who have their silly SAS-esque tactics.

Plastic Greatcoats!
We've been talking about these pretty much since I joined the forum, nearly a year ago now. They must be coming out soon. We've not seen any, but they must be there. They gotta be. Cadians are far too obviously Cadians and Catachans are more useful for conversions if you want to do anything other than Catachans. But greatcoats? Yep, this is it. This is what it's gonna take to make me play Guard. With the right mix of heads (easily done with new moulding techniques) we're talking Valhallans, Steel Legion and Death Korps... all in plastic. That would be made of dynamic win. Them with new Codex? I sure as hell hope so.

Nothing Braver Than A Guardsman
This isn't a selling point for me. I like my superhumans, evolutionary-manipulated berzerkers and space elves. But I know a great deal of people are drawn to the Guard because they are just like us. A bloke in flak armour with a gun that, while powerful by our standards, utterly pales in comparison to every other Troop choice's gun. They are the grizzled underdogs, and I know a lot of people find that very attractive. So it gets its own point on my list. Aren't I kind and lovely

Sentinels
I know this feels a bit like I'm scraping the barrel, but I'm really not. It's just coincidence that this has come up last.

I really like the Sentinel kit. It's actually very, very cool. Almost as cool as the Crisis kit is. They're very poseable, and their rules aren't too bad when you consider what they are. But it's the kit I like. Not huge amounts of stuff, but those legs are damn cool. You can have them running, or stalking, or advancing cautiously... they're easier to pose dynamically than a Crisis is.

[hr]

Well, that's ten reasons to play the Imperial Guard written by someone who doesn't. I hope that's made some of you think.

I'm still waiting for plastic greatcoats.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 18:30   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Ten Reasons To Play Imperial Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Nothing Braver Than A Guardsman
This isn't a selling point for me. I like my superhumans, evolutionary-manipulated berzerkers and space elves. But I know a great deal of people are drawn to the Guard because they are just like us. A bloke in flak armour with a gun that, while powerful by our standards, utterly pales in comparison to every other Troop choice's gun. They are the grizzled underdogs, and I know a lot of people find that very attractive. So it gets its own point on my list. Aren't I kind and lovely
This should be the number ONE reason to play Imperial Guard. I love their fluff; ordinary men protected by Flak Armor and armed with a Lasgun and forced to charge into alien, heretics and traitors and worse yet, Chaos Space Marines. And the line from the IG Section of the BOB:

The nameless heroes who live and die so that the Imperium might endure.

Quote:
Variety
There are a million worlds in the Imperium, so they say. I reckon this number is a pretty conservative estimate, but still. That's room for probably every single Guard player to have their own unique regiment. Within the range we have models for Catachans, Cadians, Death Korps, Elysians, Steel Legion, Valhallans, Tallarns, Mordians, Vostroyans and Praetorians. Combine with other ranges from Fantasy (say Empire) or other ranges from 40k (perhaps even Tau) or perhaps stuff from Necromunda and you've got the conversion opportunity to show whatever kind of regiment you want. With the Doctrines you can even represent them on the tabletop to be different from the other regiments.

Sadly, many of these models are metal... or resin... and either way are expensive or otherwise hard to get hold of. But that's just a challenge and it doesn't stop most of us - just take a look at the chap we have here (is it Stankov? Not sure) who decided "Hey! Why not just SCULPT my own Rough Riders!"
Second only to Space Marines on the amount of Models, Fluff and Novels published I love the Grand Opportunity to write my own regiment's damn fluff! I got Cadians, Catachans, Steel Legion, Mordian Iron Guards and Tallarns

Quote:
Drop Troops
Paratroopers are cool enough in the present day. They're even cooler with grav chutes. Even if they could do with being a bit more effective perhaps. I quite like BS4 ^_^ but with Drop Troops there's also the added coolness of the Vulture and Valkyrie, which are just plain groovy. It shows that it's not just the Tau who have their silly SAS-esque tactics.
Much agreed. Can anyone say "Air Cavalry"? If the rumors are true, I'll be fielding as much Valkyries as Leman Russes for my Drop Troops >
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 18:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like guard cause I like star wars which remind me of the empire. An inquisitor can easily look like the emperor and a greyknight terminater can be lord vader. Space marines look like storm troopers. Sentenals look like At-Sts. I think it would be cool to make an At-At one day. Two sentenals and a chimera chasis. Might do that one day. You could order breather mask from forge world and make cadian imperial storm troopers. Than the officers in the grey and green uniforms can easily resemble the commisar or other officers. Not to mention boba fet can easily be one of your assassins.

Anyway that's why I'm building a guard army cause it reminds me of the empire.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 19:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

I got to agree with the Variety...including the old OOP stuff you can so mix and mash your army it's not funny. One of the many thing that attract me to them

And The Sentinel. here also I got to echo your feeling, Sentinels are great to model, easy to make, cool looking and easy to convert if you want to.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 19:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

11th Reason: The numerous amount of men & women charging towards you with a lasgun and other weapon assortments! :P Be afraid, very afraid! ;D

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 20:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Like I said storm troopers from new hope.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 21:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
Like I said storm troopers from new hope.
Then Guard would be BS1.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 22:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Obi Won Kenobi said those blast marks can only be presice from imperial storm troopers when they was in the dessert with Luke before he learned of his aunt and uncle death. I think bs 3 is fair. I concider new hope troopers to be guard. Episodes 1-3 is basically space marines. Darktroopers are terminaters and the sith is greyknight terminaters.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 22:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Where are you getting your opinions from?

Episode 1-3 are Space Marines... so Episode 4-6 are Guard with Terminators? Darktroopers are 4-6 era.

There is ONE difference between the quality of Troopers in the Original and New trilogies.

In the New trilogy they are the good guys. That's it. So they can shoot straight because they're not hitting protagonists.

And the only thing remotely "Grey Knight Terminator" about the Sith is psychic powers. Nowhere near that kind of armour.

You may call me Circus.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 23:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Okay you two, this is a little irrelevent.

Stankov, you go ahead and give Circus karma.