Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skitarii Guard Uniform and Representation Questions
Old 23 Sep 2008, 19:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Skitarii Guard Uniform and Representation Questions

I think I might start a Skitarii army using Grenediers and allied Daemonhunters to represent the Mechanicus officials.

First, I would like to know if my thoughts on their uniforms would conform to fluff. Would a Skitarius wear a uniform that blends more to their enviroment, or always a red uniform?

I was hoping I could paint my Tech-Guard in a diffrent scheme (charadon granite or similar for plates, catachan green for cloth) with just a red shoulder pad and Mechanicus symbol. And continue this with just a stripe or small section of red on tanks.

My second question is how well would Inquisitor Lord, or Elite-choice Inquisitor rules work to represent an Archmagos or Magos to lead my force? Or would just a normal Guard command squad be better?

I would only pick a few select things from the Daemonhunters, it mostly would be a Guard force, hence why I posted it here.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 19:56   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Skitarii Guard Uniform and Representation Questions

On the topic of the color scheme I beleive that the shoulder pad being red should be ok...(I dont know a whole lot about Skitarii other than there Adeptus IG) I would say its safe to say that they (being a kind of elite guard) would try and minimize there own losses,
On that same note I can also see them not using Camo since it would hide their Adeptus colors(kind of like some SMurfs won't wear camo because it insults their bravery or their chapter colors or such) :
As for the command I think you would be better with the Inquisitor Lord, you would just have to make sure not to give him special Demon Hunter gear and probably give him bionics purely for fluff... The 3+ armor save from the armor the Lord gets should be like that of a mechanicus Archmagos, however I think you should take something that ups that to 2+ because he would be armored as heavily as possible...(being so very important)
Old 23 Sep 2008, 20:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Agreed. I think you're best off with an Inquisitor to represent your Archmagos as he has access to a wider range of exotic wargear than the bog standard Imperial Guard officer; most notably power armour. With a little creativity, his psychic powers could represent some other manner of techno-sorcery.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 20:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks guys.

I thought an Inquisitor would work for an Archmagos better than a Guard officer, and psychic powers sounds good. The only really useful ones don't directly deal with daemons. :

But what other Guard Doctrines do you think would work? I was thinking Grenediers, Cyber-enhancement (purely for fluff reasons, as I don't think it is quite worth it from a gamer's stand-point), and Techpriests, but what else? I know I don't really want drop troops or mechanised.

-By Timjim
Quote:
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 21:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I reckon restricted troops would make good use of the last two doctrines. Special Weapon squads seem appropriate given the level of technology likely to be prevalent. Similarly, veteran squads will allow you to field a lot of plasma (which is what I think of when I consider Skitarii). You might also consider Storm Trooper squads if you fancy infiltrating or deep striking with a squad or two.

Otherwise I suppose Carapace armour might be a suitable doctrine for an army such as this?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 21:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think I will go with:

Carapace Armour (acess to best equipment)
Cyber Enhancement (wouldn't be tech-guard without it :)
Sharpshooters (targeter implants)
Techpriests (duh)
Veterans (for the plasma, like you said Tom)

I decided that my Storm Troopers could come from the Daemonhunters, as I need them anyway for the Archmagos.

And one other thing, what exactly are Praetorians (as in the elites of the Skitarii, not the colonial British)? I have looked them up and I have seen the described as almost like Obliterators, and I have also found them being between Storm troopers and space marnies. So which is more accepted as canon and what would be best to represent them with?

-By Timjim
Quote:

Old 23 Sep 2008, 22:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar, Master of Armour
I think I will go with:

Carapace Armour (acess to best equipment)
Cyber Enhancement (wouldn't be tech-guard without it :)
Sharpshooters (targeter implants)
Techpriests (duh)
Veterans (for the plasma, like you said Tom)

I decided that my Storm Troopers could come from the Daemonhunters, as I need them anyway for the Archmagos.

And one other thing, what exactly are Praetorians? I have looked them up and I have seen the described as almost like Obliterators, and I have also found them being between Storm troopers and space marnies. So which is more accepted as canon and what would be best to represent them with?
Colonial english imperial guard...
unless theres something missing...
what have i not read?
Old 23 Sep 2008, 23:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes, there must be some sort of confusion... Praetorians are guardsmen based off of Colonial English troops during the Zulu wars period.

I'm not sure what else it could be, the only unit like Obliterators are Ogryns... and even then loosely so.

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 23:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalissimo Stankov
Yes, there must be some sort of confusion... Praetorians are guardsmen based off of Colonial English troops during the Zulu wars period.

I'm not sure what else it could be, the only unit like Obliterators are Ogryns... and even then loosely so.

Stankov
The Skitarii maintain elite troops called Praetorians as well.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 23:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Err... sorry. I did mean the elite Skitarii units. Not the British. :-\ I'll change it.

I also have seen them with treads for legs. : So now I'm really confused.

I think I might just convert some terminator armour wearing cyborgs and use GK terminator rules. I have seen mentions of Terminator-like units under Mechanicus control.

-By Timjim
Quote: