Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

HW Crews: Reloaded
Old 19 Sep 2008, 05:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten
Default HW Crews: Reloaded

I figured this would be a suitable topic for my first post back from the bleak warp called "Ohio" and "Death of a Relative", and I don't seem to find anything through search.

Now, many moons ago, I asked this here: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=57369.0
However, apparently while I was trapped in my information-less limbo GW released 5th edition rules, and while I have not been able to obtain them yet, some of the excerpts I have seen here require me to ask the question again.

If I'm understanding correctly, models must now be attatched to the base that they come with (citing: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=72026.0 ), so does that mean that HW crews must now be based on the large round base now or be subject to the fickle whim of your opponent?
Would not be too fun to be setting up for a game against a vehicle heavy opponent and have them pull that on you after they see you pull out 15 AV heavies and begin selecting which of your guardsman shall be manning them...

Thankfully I never got to finish all my HW models due to stuff happening, but that's going to put a large cramp in my modeling/conversion plans if it's true. This will also be a problem with the rough riders I finally manged to finish collecting materials to make, but I always intended to ask before using those... But since they're like 2.37x-3.224x bigger than the standard RR, I really don't think any opponent would object when it's so easily shot to hell... Especially with TLOS.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 05:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: HW Crews: Reloaded

I'm under the impression that the bases supplied to HW teams are there for easy of mobility and for putting a large gun on a base that would normally hold a guardsman. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bases are to act like two separate Guardsman on the standard guard base, just holding a heavy weapon.

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2008, 05:58   #3 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

For everything except the Missile Launcher, you could just man the Guardsman on infantry bases and the Heavy Weapon by itself on the large base. You're using the base it comes with and it's easier to carry around in base contact, without providing a lager target.

But with he new wound allocation, you need to single out the loader and firer as they're the only two in the squad that are allowed to fire the weapon.

Personally, I'm not that competitive in my games where I have to reduce every cm/inch possible and I'd prefer to have something that looked better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2008, 06:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

Yes, I understand that is how the errata/faq says to treat them (as though they were based seperately), but what I'm asking is whether or not your opponent can call on these apparent new basing rules of which my citing speaks to disallow any of your HW not based together on the large round that comes with HW squad boxes.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 06:36   #5 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

I'm not sure (not having the book), but I'd say you should be fine. Most players won't care anyway, and there's precedent cases of individual bases. IIRC the metal variants use infantry bases, thereby legitamising the option to do the same for other armies based on Cadians or Catachans.

Checked and the Mordian/Valhallen/Tallarn lines all have individually based heavy weapon troops. So therefore I'd assume it is obviously perfectly legal to have an Imperial Guard army on individual bases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2008, 14:13   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

The large bases are for convinience especially with heavy weapons on tripod. Missile Launchers (Dunno, why they give us those stands rather than the Guardsman carrying it which looks much cooler. Anyway....) totting Guardsmen can be put on smaller bases and can be put on standing Guardsmen rather than kneeling Guardsmen that are common among those Guardsmen carrying other types of Heavy Weapons.

And Cal585 is right. Anyone that brings it up, you should show them the FAQ which states that the large bases are for convenience of moving the model.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2008, 18:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeran Van Houten
Yes, I understand that is how the errata/faq says to treat them (as though they were based seperately), but what I'm asking is whether or not your opponent can call on these apparent new basing rules of which my citing speaks to disallow any of your HW not based together on the large round that comes with HW squad boxes.
The rulebook doesn't actually lay down anything concrete on this, it just says that some people like to use 'impressive scenic bases' and that such players should check that their opponent doesn't mind as some extreme basing can effect the way models interact with the rules. It certainly doesn't expressly prohibit it.

This note is included to cover the sort of powergamers who might mount their battlesuits on 12" tall flying bases just to give them a line of sight advantage, or some such nonsense. I think you're going to be really hard pressed to find a player who'd have a tantrum over your heavy weapon team members being based individually. Even if you could find such a player, I think you'd really have to question whether or not it's worth playing a game with him. Ultimately though, one might assume he wants a game too, so if he refuses to let you use your 'illegally based' heavy weapons teams, then he doesn't get a game at all. It would take someone supremely petty to abandon an entire battle on the merit of such an insignificant 'breach'. This is a non-issue.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2008, 21:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Awesome, I hoped that's what it was going to boil down to.
Guess I should get the new rules asap so I don't have any more kinds of panic attacks about these kinda things.

Thank you everyone for your help and for dealing with my acid newb flashbacks.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 23:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I have a great way around the large base problem. I ordered the weapon sprues by themselves with some steel legion gunners and a bunch of small bases so those ARE the bases my models came with :P
Old 19 Sep 2008, 23:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
I have a great way around the large base problem. I ordered the weapon sprues by themselves with some steel legion gunners and a bunch of small bases so those ARE the bases my models came with :P
Heh. You add an interesting point.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote