Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Alternate Rough-Rider
Old 13 Sep 2008, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Alternate Rough-Rider

I know everyone here knows about the God awful Attilan Roughrider models, and it's the typical reason why no-one ever uses them. However, I was just browsing around the collector's section of the American GW store and there's Tallarn Rough Rider models that actually look really good. I thought I'd bring it up because I never see anyone recommend them or mention them whenever a rough rider topic pops up.
Old 13 Sep 2008, 23:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Alternate Rough-Rider

They are a nice alternative certainly, but just like their Attilan counterparts they do have a distinct flavour to them. I think a principle reason rough riders see so little use is that they simply don't mesh with a conventional Cadian or Catachan army. Cadians are typically very well equipped and 'modern', whereas Catachans would simply have no use for horses in jungle warfare. Rough riders might fit in in a fairly archaic army like Tallarn or Death Korps of Krieg, but those armies are rare on the tabletop.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 04:18   #3 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

I agree that the Tallarn seem a much better prospect. I was originally thinking of using them for my Rough Riders, but I'll probably convert with Cadians (would Knights of Minas Tirith work? They've got some nice horse designs but might be a little smaller in scale...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 05:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, myself running a Valhallan army, I've always dreamed of converting those goofy fur sombreros into more appropriate Cossack style caps, so I could field Attilans.

That said, I do love the Tallarn models, they are, despite differing only in head design from the Attilans, very unique.

However, I think Attilans are more favored because they're easier to convert (they could be Cossacks, Vostroyans, even just fancy Cadians...) The chief problem I find with Tallarns is the kayifa (headdress) doesn't really mix well with other armies. Now, I think there's nothing cooler than a Tallarn army with match Rough Riders, but such a sight is rare indeed.

With a new Guard army possible on the way, perhaps we can expect more modernized Rough Riders? Maybe a plastic bike kit?

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 05:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's been a lot of cutting, sawing, and scratch building, and I'm still not done, but I've been working on converting the SM bikes into ATVs, and am working on up a 10-man unit of Steel Legion Rough Riders.

Buy a 3-pack of bikes + Dark Angels battleforce. Buy 20 extra wheels as bitz. Custom-build rear suspension out of several different sizes of plasticard rods (2 different sizes used), beams (2 sizes used) and strips (1 size used). A lot of cutting on the bikes, reversing the front wheels and re-pinning them, and finally, cutting up Cadian legs and greenstuffing a lower torso/groin, swapping hands with the bike kit, and some Pig Iron heads.

Probably about an hour and a half of assembly per ATV, by the time I'm done, and that doesn't include painting!

I've got all 10 ATVs done, one rider. Need to finish the rest of the riders, make something to replace shock lances, and add kit and possibly custom bases.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 11:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalissimo Stankov
Well, myself running a Valhallan army, I've always dreamed of converting those goofy fur sombreros into more appropriate Cossack style caps, so I could field Attilans.

That said, I do love the Tallarn models, they are, despite differing only in head design from the Attilans, very unique.

However, I think Attilans are more favored because they're easier to convert (they could be Cossacks, Vostroyans, even just fancy Cadians...) The chief problem I find with Tallarns is the kayifa (headdress) doesn't really mix well with other armies. Now, I think there's nothing cooler than a Tallarn army with match Rough Riders, but such a sight is rare indeed.

With a new Guard army possible on the way, perhaps we can expect more modernized Rough Riders? Maybe a plastic bike kit?

Stankov
hmmm thats sounds quite cool really cossacks could be made by removing vostroyan heads....
i wont use rough riders cos' if i want to get into combat il use a wave of conscripts :P
Old 14 Sep 2008, 20:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

yea i saw them... i just don't like the idea of horses in a city... i would love to add rough riders but i have no idea what to mount them on... maybe on the back of giant bears... motorbikes have been done too many times. hmm... what about jetpacks... like Ork's...
what do you guys think of little gun drone type things? like the Tau drones, but more uh... simplistic.
give them a small bionic arm with maybe a chainsword on the end, and a little laspistol built in. could be cool. maybe a little grenade launcher replacing one or the other for hunting lances. so much to ponder now... and i still have to get on with that tank thing... and the various other ting's i got left over...

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 20:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Fun With Matches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc [messyart
Ork step by steps on there way link=topic=72065.msg1031772#msg1031772 date=1221423159]
i would love to add rough riders but i have no idea what to mount them on... maybe on the back of giant bears...
BEAR CAVALRY! but seriously, that could work, ive been contemplating using the new cold ones from fantasy as a mount for my rough riders, now that they look more like mini godzillas or possibly raptors. does anyone remember that white dwarf article ages ago about the creature feature? on that article they gave you rules that you could use for alternative mounts, but now chapter approved is .... well i suppose redundant is the word, i suppose theyre out of the question.

give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

http://www.onemanga.com/
Fun With Matches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc [messyart
Ork step by steps on there way link=topic=72065.msg1031772#msg1031772 date=1221423159]
yea i saw them... i just don't like the idea of horses in a city... i would love to add rough riders but i have no idea what to mount them on... maybe on the back of giant bears... motorbikes have been done too many times. hmm... what about jetpacks... like Ork's...
I had considered, before settling on ATVs for Steel Legion roughriders, using the giant sabretooth cats that the Skorne ride in Warmachine/Hordes.

See here: http://www.amazon.com/Hordes-Skorne-.../dp/B000V56PR6
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

i had a similar idea because my IG previous [they were jungle fighters, they had these massive sabretooth cat/bears that were evil...] had creatures like them.

but i would prefer to sculpt the entire cat myself. plus... since it's a bear cat... a little work to be done on the basic anatomy. those models are ok, but... not uite big enough for me

i was thinking of having some sort of steroid injector to count as hunting lances.

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote