Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Flyers: good models as proxy/ new rules [incl my own :D]
Old 11 Sep 2008, 21:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Flyers: good models as proxy/ new rules [incl my own :D]

i want to know what kinda military models you think are good for flyers in a basic IG army.
i have revently seen an A-10 Thunderbolt model at 1/48 scale from Tamiya. i opened it up and found room for a cadian model as a pilot [the actual pilot model wasn't too far off for scale either] even better it only costs around £16.
i know that real world kits and GW tanks are way out of synch for size and scale, but looky:

that is my Comanche it was 1.48 scale [alas, i cannot find them this size any more...] i use VDR to field it...
i will try to find my rules...
aha... fluff too... don't laugh, i wrote it a while ago and couldn't think of much to put... and the name was just something hastily thrown together...

L13- Destroyer

A very simple flying vehicle powered by two simple engines. The L13 has a very smooth and brutal appearance, the many accounts by those against it describe it as horrendously loud, fast and aggressive machine that strikes before being seen. Its main gun is a triple barrelled bolter; it fires at about 1000rpm and generally uses explosive rounds. It has armoured wings that fold into its body, opening up to expose four missiles and two chaff launchers, which can be replaced by anti aircraft missiles or bombs. An option is two wings mounted on the mid-body; they are each equipped with a rack of four missiles.

Current estimates reckon that the Parian Militia have at least five of them, a small number but considering the lack of anti-air weaponry that other gangs can get hold of, and the relative impunity from which it can attack, numbers mean nothing.

One defensive measure that has been tested is a mini missile; it seeks out enemy missiles, those that seem to pose a threat to the L13.

Average land speed in open terrain is 200mph, in the centre city where the L13ís are based the speed is reduced greatly to 95mph, even at this speed enemy weaponry has very little time to react. It usually aims to unload its entire missile load at a single target. Priority targets include tanks and enemy fortifications. Although many rogue pilots have targeted enemy bases and struck the mess halls and barracks. This tactic, while effective at slowing and even stopping enemy movements, is frowned upon, it takes long enough to plan attacks in Herrithia and the sudden halt of the enemy greatly confuses the coordinators.

i also made a set of alt' missiles for this bad boy but i will refrain from putting them up just yet.

so yeah, does anyone else use crazy half proxy type things? i know my comanche could pass for a vulture so..
and i am so tempted to add the A-10 thunderbolt model and count it as a Marauder maybe. it had a nice minigun mounted in the nose so i suppose i could just use it as its name-sake [well... kinda... mixed around but still ] so yeah, anyone else use military kits or just flyers in general? i wanna know, and if possible, i want to see yours.
below is the rule set i made for the 'L-13' using VDR.
i think that was all... hope you like my efforts with it. it is yet to be painted up, but i can't pick a colour...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nbchbgdfkjv.jpg (27.7 KB, 59 views)

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2008, 21:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Flyers: good models as proxy/ new rules [incl my own :D]

Rules seem fair to me...I don't know what the rockets do (I'll have to go dig up my WD that has the rules in it), but unless their over the top this seems okay.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2008, 22:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

They function as HK missiles I do believe. I think you might be better of using it as a counts-as vulture though. Carries the same weapons for the most part (not quite as many rockets) and comes out a lot cheaper
Old 11 Sep 2008, 23:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
They function as HK missiles I do believe. I think you might be better of using it as a counts-as vulture though. Carries the same weapons for the most part (not quite as many rockets) and comes out a lot cheaper
Agreed. The Vulture is essentially designed to be the 40k equivalent of an attack helicopter anyway, in the same way the Valkyrie is pretty much a Black Hawk.

As for colour, my Vulture used to be green like Jordan's, but I decided I didn't like it that colour so I changed it to grey to make it look more navy-like. Sounds boring I know, but it had the effect I wanted. My entire armoured battlegroup (and my Elysians) followed suit though, and in retrospect I think I might have preferred them in desert yellow, so it might be a better idea to match your aircraft colour scheme to your existing infantry/tanks. Even if they're not technically attached to the regiment, they're operating in the same theatre, very likely as part of the same task force, so they're probably going to be similarly camouflaged. It also lends your army a measure of visual coherency. This might not be terribly important for the Herrithion 1st, being such a rag-tag bunch, but it's easy on the eyes.

When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 00:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

main reason i can't decide on colour is this:
Troop base camo pattern= black base, blue and grey blotches and lines.
Tanks/ Sentinels base camo pattern= black base, brown and grey roughly applied all over [with very large and hairy brush, just stippled uncarefully all over]
and then there are the various off-shoots... Ogryns have their own colours [in fluff they are merely an allied 'gang'
and Ratlings use a black and grey camo pattern [again, allied gang].

i was thinking of using maybe the vehicle colours, it looks damn cool [here's a pic for an idea] but then it won't really stand out as much as it deserves [and that is a damn sexy model...]

that is my basic vehicle camo, this upcoming is my trooper camo [alas, i have no recent pic's of my ratling camo, it looks cool ]

that was the best i could find of my current photobucket mess... you get a rough idea of the overall look.
so yeah... you get the idea that they are city fighters, obviously it would help if maybe i decided the kind of atmosphere the planet has, maybe the underside could be painted up to represent the sky. but then, thats more for winged craft, the positition a helicopter would be in as it rolls up would kinda negate any usefullness of an underbelly sceme... hmm..
ooh i suppose i could do jet black with flames up both edges, make it imposing, scary as hell, and looking absolutely awesome on the battlefield obv' it would be the most blatant thing in the sky, but it would at least be a scary sight. and a good morale booster [hence letting me use that custom paint scheme upgrade thing]
The only thing i didn't like about the Vulture's missiles pod rules is that... fluff wise... it's just not right... they couldn't take out tanks in anywhere near the way it's described... i suppose a saemon face wouldn't be too bad on the front either...

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
Old 12 Sep 2008, 02:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thats pretty cool Marc, if you could find a AC-130 that would be totaly awesome IMO but the heli is nice, suprsingly to scale with the crew, good work.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 11:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

TY MR. Statue
and yea, i've been torn recently between a few of the kits at my local indie store...
and since i can get that Thunderbolt for £16... even more tempting..

hmm.. Sam not on for another few hours... i could go get it today...

wait... AC_130... that thing is a beast
well i don't think i've seen a model for it in any stores. i could look, but for the moment, the thunderbolt will do

Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
Old 12 Sep 2008, 11:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Agreed. The Vulture is essentially designed to be the 40k equivalent of an attack helicopter anyway, in the same way the Valkyrie is pretty much a Black Hawk.
See Marc, I suggested to just use it as a counts-as Vulture =P
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 12:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc [messyart
link=topic=72014.msg1030153#msg1030153 date=1221178091]The only thing i didn't like about the Vulture's missiles pod rules is that... fluff wise... it's just not right... they couldn't take out tanks in anywhere near the way it's described...
That's what hellstrikes, lascannons, missile launchers and hunter-killer racks are for. Rocket pods are for saturation fire; they're for turning large infantry formations into mush. Seeing as the Vulture can take two hardpoint options, it can be equipped for both roles if you want.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 12:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

ye i suppose i could count the various missiles as las and missile launchers..

hmm, having just checked my IA, i like this set up:
T.L missile launchers
H.K missile racks

and for the hell of it
distinctive paint scheme and chaff launchers. and typically i put the book down without checking points : right: 220pts for this thing using vulture rules. hmm, not bad.

Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw