Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Another IG start-up: Tank-crazy Gue'vesa
Old 05 Sep 2008, 16:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Another IG start-up: Tank-crazy Gue'vesa

While Tau's battlesuits made me pick them to be my first army, there was something about ordinary men armed with nothing but lasguns and buckets of courage that tugged at me from a corner of my mind.

Having achieved 3k pts for my Farsight Enclave collection, I've begun collecting IG, with the Damocles Gulf setting in mind. My Guards would be heavily, if not completely, mechanized, as inspired by their Tau counterparts, and would focus on bringing as many tanks and Sentinels to the table as reasonably possible.

That said, even after discovering the IG subforum and reading most of the updated tactica available, I've still absolutely no idea what was I going to go about building this new force. 12 Armored Fists, 3 mounted Vets, a Command squad in a Chimera, Hounds, Sentinels and the Russ trio sounds awesome, but as I said, I don't know what am I getting myself into, nor do I know how to outfit them properly. The environment I play in is almost entirely SM/CSM, with IG forming the 3rd leg, but there are sometimes the odd few who break the mould, so I'd rather make a take-all-comers, heavy metal list.

What is a heavy metal list strong and weak against? Any tips and suggestions? Or am I just doomed to make a fluffy but fail list? :P

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 16:35   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Another IG start-up: Tank-crazy Gue'vesa

Mechanized is a nice change of pace from the more common Static Gunline that most Imperial Guard players used. The Chimera Transport is a robust Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV) sporting a Turret-mounted Multi-laser (or a Heavy Bolter, whichever floats your boat) and a Hull-mounted Heavy Bolter.

You still outnumber your opponent by nearly 2-to-1 which is all important for the Guard. Use the Chimera as mobile wall, shielding your Infantry as you go for the objectives. Then once you're there, dig into cover if possible.

You may surprise your opponent by the number of Armored vehicles and he/she may not have enough AT weapons to deal with them nor the 3 Leman Russes and/or Hellhound advancing along.

Quote:
What is a heavy metal list strong and weak against?
Horde. You're gonna get outnumbered easily. As well as other AT heavy armies but that's just because someone tailored it to be so but I wouldn't worry too much. Deep-striking armies will get behind you to face your rear armor and pop your tanks. Another is CC armies. Especially one with Melta Bombs and Power Fists (or in Ork's case, Power Klaws)

Quote:
Any tips and suggestions?
I recommend you use your search-fu for that

Quote:
Or am I just doomed to make a fluffy but fail list?
Mechanized is just as competitive as Drop Troops, Armored Company and basic Infantry Regiments. It's just up to you to make it as fluffy as it is competitive.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 16:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Mechanized is a nice change of pace from the more common Static Gunline that most Imperial Guard players used. The Chimera Transport is a robust Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV) sporting a Turret-mounted Multi-laser (or a Heavy Bolter, whichever floats your boat) and a Hull-mounted Heavy Bolter.

You still outnumber your opponent by nearly 2-to-1 which is all important for the Guard. Use the Chimera as mobile wall, shielding your Infantry as you go for the objectives. Then once you're there, dig into cover if possible.

You may surprise your opponent by the number of Armored vehicles and he/she may not have enough AT weapons to deal with them nor the 3 Leman Russes and/or Hellhound advancing along.
My Tau roots have made me a firm believer in mobility of arms, and SIGAFH just doesn't cut it for me.

Quote:
Quote:
Horde. You're gonna get outnumbered easily. As well as other AT heavy armies but that's just because someone tailored it to be so but I wouldn't worry too much. Deep-striking armies will get behind you to face your rear armor and pop your tanks. Another is CC armies. Especially one with Melta Bombs and Power Fists (or in Ork's case, Power Klaws)
I thought the IG had plenty of blast templates to deal with hordes?

I understand deepstrikers and CC; spent my short blue-bottomed career dodging pods so I can cope with that weakness for a bit... I hope.

Quote:
Quote:
Any tips and suggestions?
I recommend you use your search-fu for that
Will do harder. :P

Quote:
Quote:
Mechanized is just as competitive as Drop Troops, Armored Company and basic Infantry Regiments. It's just up to you to make it as fluffy as it is competitive.
I see... what's the difference between Mech and Armored Company?

Quote:
Quote:
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05 Sep 2008, 17:03   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Quote:

My Tau roots have made me a firm believer in mobility of arms, and SIGAFH just doesn't cut it for me.
So, no heavy weapons on those Infantry Squads They'll be not so useful when you're on the move. So, really on your heavy fire from your vehicles.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought the IG had plenty of blast templates to deal with hordes?

I understand deepstrikers and CC; spent my short blue-bottomed career dodging pods so I can cope with that weakness for a bit... I hope.
Yes, IG have plenty of template weapons. Just pointing out, that's all.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I see... what's the difference between Mech and Armored Company?
Mechanized is Infantry using APCs to get around. Armored Company is a full all Tank Regiment with little or no Infantry whatsoever.
Old 05 Sep 2008, 17:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Mech is armored infantry, Chimeras and troops, veteran squads and so on.

An Armored Company is a zillion TANKS without so much troops.

BTW the flamethrower rules add lots of firepower against horde armies.
Old 05 Sep 2008, 17:06   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Actually, the Chimera IFV and Leman Russes have enough firepower to handle it. The only problem I see is that they aren't dedicated Tank Hunters. I don't trust Ordnance weapons to be my AT. Unless you tank a Destroyer Tank Hunter or Leman Russ Vanquisher.
Old 05 Sep 2008, 17:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Armoured Company is a sublist of dubious legality that allows you to field nothing but Russes. Mech is infantry in chimeras with a lot of armoured support.

A mech list actually shouldn't have too much trouble causing damage to a horde list, but the problem is surviving. Chimeras are more than capable of causing heavy damage to gaunts, boyz and guardsmen; but on the flip side, A typical guard horde will have plenty of heavy weapons to blow your tanks apart, and there'll be orks striking against your weak back armour and tyranid gribblies doing the same if either of those 2 armies reach you. Essentially, because the chimera isn't quite as mobile as you'll be sued to with devilfishes and hammerheads, you're going to have to hug the board edge against CC hordes and try to kill them before they reach you.
Old 05 Sep 2008, 17:16   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Or you could use a Catachan Pattern Sentinel (Heavy Flamer variant) to go forward, flame the Horde then assault them. This will either tie them up or the Sentinel will lose combat by a penetrating hit from a Power Klaw or an equivalent and if you're lucky, a Destroy - Explodes result will pop up and kill every Horde unit within blast radius :P
Old 06 Sep 2008, 04:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wow thanks again! Finally found the rules for Armored Company and Battlegroup. As it turns out, AC is pretty much dead in the water until some allowance is made for AC troop tanks to score in 5th ed. That leaves the Battlegroup list, which I rather like, and have a few ideas forming.

However, I've also read Tom's expose about diluting the AV14 wall with Chimeras. Since that was a 4th ed perspective, I wonder how do AB lists score in 5th ed? How many Armored Fist Chimeras is too much in a list unable to spam demolishers cheaply? Also, with the new S4 defensive rules, are sponsons useless options now?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06 Sep 2008, 08:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
...with the new S4 defensive rules, are sponsons useless options now?
Not at all. They're of reduced worth for Annihilators, Exterminators, Executioners and Conquerers, but other russ variant tanks are typically going to want to fire their ordnance weapons anyway (especially with the new template rules), so little has changed. It's only really a big issue for tanks that have suffered a 'weapon destroyed' result - Now such tanks have to choose between firepower and mobility. But 'weapon destroyed' results are far less rampant than people would have you believe.

You can still merrily fire all sponsons and the hull weapon if static though, so they make a good choice for gunline armies. Besides, they're cheap as chips, so you can't really go far wrong by taking them.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote