Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Classic Metal Guard Back on GW Site
Old 24 Aug 2008, 03:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Classic Metal Guard Back on GW Site

Has anyone else seen this?

Maybe its already been discussed but one of the primary complaints I hear from Guard players is a lack of models to choose from. Up until recently the only available options through GW not Forge World were the Catachans and Cadians. Now however the returned classic models are actually affordable and bring back the Mordians, Tallarn, Valhallan, and Steel Legion. As well as the Last Chancers and Gaunt's Ghosts. Combine that with the Death Korps and Elysians from Forge World the options available to Imperial Guard players has dramatically increased in the last year or so. Far from the low point late 3rd and early 4th Edition where only Catachans and Cadians are available the full list comes out too:

Catachan Jungle Fighters
Cadian Storm Troopers
Atillan Rough Riders
Tallarn Desert Raiders
Mordian Iron Guard
Valhallan Ice Warriors
Steel Legion
Elysian Drop Troops
Death Korps of Kriege
Vostroyan First Born
Gaunts Ghosts
Last Chancers

This brings the model ranges available from the mere 2 it was for a while, up to a surprising 12. However I still see pretty much nothing but Cadians and the occasional Catachan army. The other 10 Regiments are all metal models which explains the majority of the lack of players with those armies, but with the classics now returned does anyone thing we'll be seeing more Mordian, Tallarn, Steel Legion and Valhallan armies? Or will everyone stick to Cadians or anyone willing to spend the money will just go with the Death Korps from Forge World?

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2008, 04:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Classic Metal Guard Back on GW Site

Yeah I surely noticed, thought it was there for a while though and everyone new because the new GW site frustrated me but I thought I should check it out about a week ago and found this, I think this gives me the excuse to totaly drop a money bomb for GW this year.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 04:45   #3 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

*psst - they're Cadian Shock Troops*

I think the main problem with the metal models are the lack of variation. In an army like the Imperial Guard, when every squad uses the same few models, it can get a bit boring. The plastics and FW models offer a lot more customisation and slight variations between the models, hence their greater appeal (that and money).

Also I don't think Atillans really count. There's one IG squad that's based off them, so they're not really an army (although now I'm intrigued about conversion possibilites for an army... Could be hard to reflect using the codex though...)

Last Chancers aren't given a definitive look either. There's just Shaeffer, and the mainstay models are usually Cadians or Catachan.

I've previously considered Tallarn and Valhallans, but some of the models look a little bland. I'd go for Vostroyans if I was to turn to metal, though I reckon if I was already going for expensive models, I'd just wait that little bit longer and go FW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2008, 04:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

They've been up ever since they redid the site.

Most of those ranges were available, albeit in Classic/Collectors, where they were 5 USD a model and a poor selection.

Once these came up, I immediately bought a Valhallan squad, Missile Launcher, and classic Stormtrooper squad for my army, have to say its probably the best spent money yet with GW. They're very VERY surprisingly cheap, I was shocked that all that was under 100 USD, and officers aren't over 6 USD!

Seems they want to either get rid of them, or are cutting us aficionados a break!

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2008, 04:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
The other 10 Regiments are all metal models which explains the majority of the lack of players with those armies, but with the classics now returned does anyone thing we'll be seeing more Mordian, Tallarn, Steel Legion and Valhallan armies? Or will everyone stick to Cadians or anyone willing to spend the money will just go with the Death Korps from Forge World?
I don't personally think the other regiments will come back to much. As is previously stated, they lack variety which is a problem when guard are concerned. Also they're twice as expensive which is hard to justify considering Cadians are allot more interesting to build paint and field.

I'm slowly but surely working on a Death Korps army. When i move away from home that will become more of a reality and less of a Christmas list.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2008, 05:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal585
Also I don't think Atillans really count. There's one IG squad that's based off them, so they're not really an army (although now I'm intrigued about conversion possibilites for an army... Could be hard to reflect using the codex though...)
They have models so I'm counting them for what its worth.

Quote:
Last Chancers aren't given a definitive look either. There's just Shaeffer, and the mainstay models are usually Cadians or Catachan.
Thats not what I meant though, take a look at this. See now?

Personally I think the classic models have an appeal just as classic. Older gamers who remember those models when they were popular, or even have a few may use this new release as an excuse to finish a half spun project, or even collect an army that they never got around too in the past. I recently had the pleasure of seeing a Steel Legion army fielded at 2500pts and it was very impressive and really didn't look too bland overall. Hopefully GW will release some more plastic kits for different Regiments than just the Catachans and Cadians but, who knows.

Old 24 Aug 2008, 07:05   #7 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal585
Thats not what I meant though, take a look at this. See now?
Hmmm... I'd forgotten about those. They're not up on the other sites.

P.S. It'd be helpful if you could mention which site you're using. GW's new homepage annoys me, as it constantly asks me to choose and I don't know which country you're using.

So on the subject of Attilans, are they an entirely mounted regiment? Maybe a house codex is in order... :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2008, 08:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

The old websites are very obsolete, a lot of material has been dropped from the hosting and nothing has been updated. this is the only site I've seen that is kept up to date. Yea its a pain in the arse to use but its the only bloody thing GW's keeping updated so...

I mean there is a reason they did the new format, its hardly logical to do that and keep the old sites around, I'm surprised they are even still marginally hosted.

Old 24 Aug 2008, 15:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Everytime you link, it brings me right to the GWS home page, where you choose a country. I dearly wish GW had left thier site alone.

Anyways, regarding Attilans, Imperial Guard Ed. 3 tells us that they do field all cavalry regiments, though these are very rare indeed as they are most often broken down to be attached to other units.

Although, I believe in truth, most worlds just use thier own Rough Riders, so say a Mordian regiment needed cavalry, they would take units from a dedicated Mordian Rough Rider regiment, and whilst thier regiment is official, its never really organized, just a vast collection of units and a few Munitorum officials to see to delivering them to regiments across the sector.
Just my opinion on what goes on...

I recall seeing the Last Chancer models on the US or UK site shortly after the update, which are some of my absolute favorite models, although they are not on GW US anymore, as far as I know...

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2008, 16:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Ugh. Just when I'd decided I didn't REALLY need anymore infantry for my guard army, they go and bring back Steel Legion models.