Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help against uber space marine of death please
Closed Thread
Old 18 Aug 2008, 21:25   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Help against uber space marine of death please

I have a friend who plays space marines and relies on his command squad consisting of a commander with double master crafted power fists and 4+ invulnerable save, artificer armor, and whatever else he has managed to throw on him and so far i haven't been able to beat him with my 1000 point Cadian imperial guard. whatever i throw at his command squad he rips apart, any suggestions would be much appreciated :
Old 18 Aug 2008, 21:54   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: Help against uber space marine of death please

Well, it looks like it is Magnus Calgar, does your friend play Ultramarines? AKA are they blue?

If so, then he is cheating, you cannot have Calgar in games less than 1500 I believe. Also, you cannot equip a regular Chapter Master with two power fists anyways. You may only purchase an item once from the armory.

But, anyways. Demo-charges, Leman Russ, Basilisks, etc. All of those will destroy that squad. Plasma, lots of plasma. Different things like that, or lots of dakka, lots and lots of lasguns. Heavy Bolters, Autocannons, Mulitlasers. ETC. all of those will slowly whittle the squad down.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 22:13   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hes too lazy to paint his marines. No he doesn't have Magnus Calgar. so what you're saying is he's going to have to rip his arms off his commander then? That will be good news to give him >. haha.

Also, would 3 basilisks be a good investment against a space marine army and necrons. Or should i get more leman russ tanks?
Old 18 Aug 2008, 22:15   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

The thing that I like to do is either 2 bassies and a russ or 2 russ and a bassie, so its all up to you.

But yes, he will have to rip at least one arm off, but not both.

And please, tell him to read his codex, expecially the rules for equipping a model.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 22:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Are you sure about not being able to purchase 2 power fists?

I thought you could buy multiple weapons. For pistols it made them twin linked and for weapons it counted as the +1 A. But now with powerfists only being able to get an extra attack when you have two of them... it seems reasonable that he has both power fists.

IF he ha a ranged weapon then there is something wrong.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 22:36   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'm positive, you can do it if you purchase a Thunderhammer and Power fist, but for Marines you can only purchase one.

"No model may pick the same item twice" Its under the rules in the Black Templar codex, and the templar is copied directly from the Space Marine codex, almost word for word. Only time its changed is removing units that we dont have, or removing the words Space Marine and replacing Black Templar.

I could go get my Marine Codex, but it is upstairs.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 22:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Heh. Icer beat me to the punch on the 'he's cheating' point, but I suppose the loss of a single powerfist attack does very little to negate the unit's overall scariness.

Well I guess Icer and I are probably teaching you to suck eggs here (why would anyone ever do that?) but weapons with a low AP value are your best bet for smiting power armoured Marines. A Leman Russ' battle cannon is a nice tool for the job, but plasma guns will work well too. I personally don't subscribe to the idea of massed firepower working as an effective means of slaying power armoured models. Sure, Lasguns can still do it, but I don't think they're the most efficient way to go about it (mathematically, a single plasma gun shot has much the same chance of inflicting a casualty against a power armoured marine as eight lasguns).

Option 1 - If slinging ordnance appeals to you, I favour Demolishers over Leman Russes; they're superior in almost every way, and the short range is only really an issue on turn one. If you can thin out the command squad enough to force a save for the commander when you plant a Demolisher shell on the squad you'll negate his artificer armour and force him to roll a save on his Iron Halo. Also note that unless he's given the guy an adamantine mantle too, failing a save against either a battle cannon shell or a Demolisher shell will mean instant death.

Option 2 - Demolition charges work too, and a special weapon squad is disposable enough to sacrifce by closing into such close quarters with a fiendishly murderous Space Marine command squad. Whether you actually take two other special weapons in such a squad is a judgement call though; they can't take plasma guns, and meltaguns are of less use. Last chancers are another way to take demolition charges though if you fancy them.

Option 3 - Rough Riders, baby. They're a one shot smart-bomb countercharge unit that are of particular use against heavily armoured foes. Don't expect them to slaughter the enemy command squad, nor last particularly long once they've made their charge and expended their lances, but they're a comparitively inexpensive unit that can tear a sizeable chunk out of the enemy squad and leave them floundering in the open begging to be splattered by a demolisher siege shell.

Option 4 - Another way to put the hurt on the guy's commander is to take a Vindicare assassin as a Daemonhunter ally. This does mean taking an Inquisitor Lord and retinue too (which can be a big investment in a 1000 point army), but warrior henchmen can take plasma guns and the Inquisitor Lord himself can be suitably equipped to make an effective like-for-like countercharge character for the enemy commander. If you don't want to 'pollute' your army with inquisitorial models, then an Inquisitor Lord and retinue of warrior henchmen can quite easily be represented by Storm Trooper or Kasrkin models (or whatever other models your army might use to represent Storm Troopers/Grenadiers). Even if you don't like the Vindicare model or think it looks out of place in your army, there's nothing to stop you from converting a suitable looking sniper (or from simply using a Cadian/Catachan stock sniper model). In short, you can use the rules for inquisitorial henchmen without taking models that look out of place, giving you an effective anti-marine unit and a unique means to specifically pick out his commander.

If the problem is that the command squad in question deploys by Land Raider or some other transport and lays in with an assault before you can really go to guns on them, then try to lock them up with a disposable unit and use the time to move a number of big guns into position to turn them into mush as soon as they finish breaking your cannon fodder in half. Or I suppose you could tie them up in combat with a large and inexpensive unit like Conscripts? A fully tooled-up Space Marine commander and command squad is a damned expensive unit, so they'll be wasted if they spend the duration of the battle fighting against a unit five times their size and half their value.

Good +1 Karma - JD
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 22:45   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Jeeze Tom, and sometimes I wonder why I dont get Karma :

Completely forgot about the Rough Riders, I guess thats because I dislike the models and I never wish to use them.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 23:05   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

those all sound like good ideas and we are working up to 1500 and 2000 point battles, he's their but I am a little over 1000.

option 1: demolisher would be pretty cool to use with the plasma cannon and sounds like a good idea. The commander has the Immune to Instant Death.

option 2: demolition charge doesn't appeal to me that much.

option 3: I hear they're pretty expensive, and also they wouldn't tie into my army and i don't like the whole Mongolian rider thing.

Option 4: I've been trying to figure out a way to get a vindicare assassin into my army just because he looks so cool. is there a way to get one in my army without having it be a daemon hunter army, i like to keep it cadian or cadian looking with a vindicare so i can make up some fluff of his space marine commander being a heretic and the inquisition sent an assassin to get him. payback for him calling my cadians heretics >

long story short: Would like further info on vindicare please ;D

Also he doesnt have a landraider or anything so he just hoofs it the whole time.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 23:12   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

He's cheating, again. You cannot have both an Iron Halo and an Adamantine mantle, dont worry, I've had a veteran player not know that either : "You may have ONE item from this list per army."

Yes, you can take Daemon Hunter or Witch Hunter units as allies, you may have 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 1 Fast Attack, or 2 troops in an Imperial Guard army, if you get either of the codices it will explain it better than I did here.

But yes, you can get a vindicare assassin in your army.
Closed Thread