Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Weapon help.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 10:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Weapon help.

Ok. I've created my Lieutenant/Junior Officer, and i wanted to experiment with some cool weapons, so i gave him two pistols (well actually four but he's holding two of them).

Now, i didn't think about what i was going to do with the choice of weapons, but i think i can work something out with your help.

As they are the Empire Pistoliers pistols, i was thinking of having Duel Master-Crafted ........ (......... being some pistol; plasma, las or bolt).

If you have any other ideas, i dunno, count them as 'Power weapon and pistol' or something, please speak up.

Thanks

Mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko- New and Improved

Amazing.

The butt might need some cleaning...
(It looks dirty in the middle )
Malendricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 11:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Weapon help.

No point in duel MC. As duel makes it twin linked and MC makes it re-roll to hit. So It's legal to have two of the same pistol but they become twin linked.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 11:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller (JD)
No point in duel MC. As duel makes it twin linked and MC makes it re-roll to hit. So It's legal to have two of the same pistol but they become twin linked.
Ah so i could just use the twin linked rule for them? But what type of pistol could they be, they don't look like las, bolt or plasma, does it matter?

Mal

Quote:

Amazing.

Old 18 Aug 2008, 12:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Well no...

Bolt or Las would be best suited for the look however.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 13:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hang on, no, no, no!

JD, models with two of the same weapon do not treat them as a single twin-linked weapon. It doesn't say that in Codex: IG nor in the rulebook. Just because it it true for Tyranids and Tau battlesuits, doesn't mean it's true for the Imperial Guard. It makes specific mention of it in the aforementioned codices, but a ruling in one codex doesn't extend to another. They're independent rule sets each meant for exclusive use by one army.

Mal, if they're flintlock pistols, then I suppose a las pistol stat line is as close as you can get to representing them with 40k rules (leastwise if using weapons available from the Imperial Guard armoury). It is imperative however that your opponents are made aware of what they represent. Such unassuming weapons cannot be revealed as master-crafted plasma pistols once your officer gets behind your opponent's Leman Russ for example, because that just wouldn't be cricket. Likewise, if you do plan to use them as a power weapon and pistol then it is important that your opponent knows this. A power weapon might normally be identified visually by being particularly colourful or fancy...or in the very least by having a blade.

Codex: IG states that Imperial Guard characters may have may have two weapons, of which only one may be two-handed. So it is important to note that he can't actually use the spare two pistols modelled onto him. You could certainly use the brace of pistols to represent a single master-crafted las pistol however (for all intents and purposes having the same effect as 'twin-linked&#39, thus leaving a slot open for another weapon if you wish (perhaps the aforementioned power weapon, or a close combat weapon, represented by the pair of pistols).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 14:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman

Codex: IG states that Imperial Guard characters may have may have two weapons, of which only one may be two-handed. So it is important to note that he can't actually use the spare two pistols modelled onto him. You could certainly use the brace of pistols to represent a single master-crafted las pistol however (for all intents and purposes having the same effect as 'twin-linked&#39, thus leaving a slot open for another weapon if you wish (perhaps the aforementioned power weapon, or a close combat weapon, represented by the pair of pistols).

Ok. Man that's a lot of helpful stuff, but let me see if i understand. what JD said is not true about twin-linked pistol? Or are you saying i could have a twin-linked pistol, then a c/c weapon too?

P.S. the other two pistols are for the look so i'm not bothered if they count as weapons.

Quote:

Amazing.

Old 18 Aug 2008, 15:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Use the stats for Creed, but then you gotta give him a bodyguard and perhaps you used his model too.
krizztheberzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 15:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizztheberzerker
Use the stats for Creed, but then you gotta give him a bodyguard and perhaps you used his model too.
Read the topic. This had nothing to do with the question.

Tom basically answered your question. If you made one pistol look really mean (Fancy I mean) then it could be a power weapon, then all those other pistols could make it "Master crafted" since they are flintlock and take forever to reload, it's just easier to switch weapons, right?
Old 18 Aug 2008, 17:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal the Great
what JD said is not true about twin-linked pistol? Or are you saying i could have a twin-linked pistol, then a c/c weapon too?
What JD said was incorrect. Two pistols of the same type do not count as a single twin-linked pistol.

What I'm trying to say is that the pair of pistols could represent a single master-crafted pistol. Twin linked weapons may re-roll any of their to-hit dice, whereas master-crafted weapons can re-roll only one. In this instance however, there's no difference as a pistol only rolls a single to-hit dice anyway. Therefore, equipping the character with a single mastercrafted pistol would be just as though he had a twin-linked pistol anyway.

The point is, there is no need to buy two seperate pistols just because the model itself has two; so long as you make your opponent aware, the pistols can represent anything at all, they don't even have to count as two weapons (they could count as a single master-crafted pistol for example...or even just a normal pistol), thus freeing a slot for a second weapon.

Given that mastercrafted pistols perform in exactly the way as twin linked pistols, you can in essence have a twin-linked pistol and a close combat weapon (the same as Creed, but without the high price).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 17:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I agree with TN, since Master-crafting and Power weapons do pretty much the same thing, and since pistols are CC weapons . . . . Makes sense to me.

But would a master-crafted pistol re-roll in shooting and in CC? Would it do both in the same turn?
Vyrion is offline   Reply With Quote