Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Non-mobile weapons in "Dawn of War" scenario
Old 12 Aug 2008, 22:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Non-mobile weapons in "Dawn of War" scenario

I was wondering how an immobile weapon such as an earthshaker platform would move on to the board in a Dawn of War scenario. It's suppose to come in from reserves but count's as moving, but these weapons can't move.

how does other's think it works? Does it just come in and sit on the board edge or what?
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 22:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Non-mobile weapons in "Dawn of War" scenario

I'd say they start on board just because its the only way it could work

If this effects anything else I have no idea
Old 12 Aug 2008, 23:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
I'd say they start on board just because its the only way it could work

If this effects anything else I have no idea
You have to remember the only gun platforms in the entire Imperial Guard arsenal that are truly 'immobile' are turret emplacements, and -being pillboxes- perhaps they really shouldn't mysteriously appear on the table edge of their own accord? Every other Imperial Guard 'static' gun (i.e. Earthshaker/Manticore/Hydra platforms, Medusa siege guns, Quad launchers, Heavy mortars and Tarantula sentry guns) can be towed or mounted in a transport and has the option to buy such a vehicle for this purpose too.

That being so, do you think it's really reasonable to be allowed to move an immobile unit just because you were unwilling to pay for a tow?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 23:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Doesn't the rulebook say that immobile stuff arriving from reserve deepstrikes, to represent it being air-dropped or something?
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 23:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

so count them as being towed on the turn they come in then they can't move anymore? so kindof like the centaur crew towed them into position then left the battlefield?

that would probally work.

any other ideas are welcome however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
Doesn't the rulebook say that immobile stuff arriving from reserve deepstrikes, to represent it being air-dropped or something?
Never heard that one before. Can you tell us what page?
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 23:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Fun With Matches

that could make sense though games wise, simply say that its coming on as reserves but its been air dropped in (not deepstriked cos i dont think thats the actual rule) thus it spends a turn setting up and being prepped.

or as Tom said trojans could tow it on and then set it up and leave the field, forge world even sell the trojan tractor units towing gun emplacements

give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

http://www.onemanga.com/
Fun With Matches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2008, 01:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun With Matches
...or as Tom said trojans could tow it on and then set it up and leave the field, forge world even sell the trojan tractor units towing gun emplacements
It was Johnnyboy that said that. I rather think you should have to pay for the towing vehicle if the option exists.

I forgot the Sabre gun platforms when mentioning those that were truly 'immobile'. Unlike turret emplacements which are actually buildings and therefore should not be allowed to move on at all, Sabre gun platforms are small enough that they could perhaps be moved by four men? So I think it's reasonable to deploy sabre platforms in this manner, but if the option exists to buy a tow then it should be taken.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2008, 07:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I think its unreasonable for a scenario to force you to change your list like that Tom. You shouldn't be required to pay for an upgrade just so you can actually roll onto the board to use your unit.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 08:57   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Everyone knows the Guard do not move; all Guard immobile positions should be deployed at the start - I refuse to believe the Imperium air-drops a trench network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2008, 10:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Furthermore, you may have written your list before deciding the mission, so Tom, do you have to pay for something you may not have any use for just in case?