Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deep-Striking a Command Platoon
Old 11 Aug 2008, 11:53   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Deep-Striking a Command Platoon

OK, If I have a Command Squad, a Heavy Weapon Squad and 2 Special Weapon Squads, can I deep-strike the 2 Special Weapon Squads while the others deploy normally?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2008, 12:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Deep-Striking a Command Platoon

Yes, they deploy as separate units even though they are all 1 HQ choice.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2008, 12:47   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

OK, next problem; how do I convince my opponent that this is a legal?

EDIT: Never mind. I got it. Just need to wait now.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 13:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ok I'd say it is legal Zenny. I do it a lot with heavy weapon squads.

as for convincing

I'd point to the FAQ for this one. Where it says that if a infantry platoon's squads have inflitrate and the command squad doesn't they deploy seperatly.

It shows that platoons can deploy at seperate times.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2008, 14:00   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Alright, thanks for the input. Just need a few more blokes to check on this then I'm good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
I'd point to the FAQ for this one. Where it says that if a infantry platoon's squads have infiltrate and the command squad doesn't they deploy separately.

It shows that platoons can deploy at separate times.
Ah, the thing now is; that the unit are deployed at different turns and are in reserve. That's what I'm expecting I asked a few more fellas so just waiting for input from the others. I want to be super sure on this one.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 14:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

For all intents and purposes, Every squad acts separately, is deployed on their own and plays in their right.

For all intents and purposes, Many Squads fall into the same slot as other. The Platoon being the basic example.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 15:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

As Johnnyboy pointed out, the FAQ makes particular reference to platoons with some squads using the light infantry doctrine. This is an exception to a rule, presumably cited to sidestep the problem of non-infilrating units from holding back their infiltrating counterparts during deployment of entire FOC selections in custom scenarios. It has no bearing whatsoever on any of the scenarios given in the 40k rulebook.

As a redundant precedent for the existing scenarios, its application in 'Pitched battle', 'Spearhead', and 'Dawn of war' is unnecessary. Only in the 'Dawn of war' scenario do players set up only a portion of their army, and even then its up to two Troop units and up to one HQ unit. Page 92 addresses the issue of multiple unit choices and makes it very clear that such units are only bought as single choices, and operate and count as seperate units in all respects. This being so, deploying two units from the Troops selection means two infantry squads or an infantry squad and the platoon command squad; it doesn't mean you may deploy two whole platoons. So whether or not you can hold particular units from those platoons in reserve is a moot point here. Just don't deploy them. The rules for reserves stipulate that "players may choose not to deploy one or more of the units in their army and instead leave them in reserve. So, for the existing scenarios, there's your answer right there.

It's an interesting precedent for custom scenarios though. If the scenario expects players to deploy entire FOC selections as a oner, then some might say it's relevant because the same principle would apply (i.e. non-deepstriking units would force deep-striking units to deploy simultaneously). But there is no single FOC selection in the Imperial Guard army list that may comprise a combination of deep striking and non-deep striking units. If using the drop troops doctrine, then all units in an infantry platoon can deep strike, so perhaps they should deploy simultaneously (whether by deep strike or conventional deployment)? That said, this only applies to player-designed custom scenarios though, so I suppose you'd be best discussing it with your opponent before the game begins. Bottom line, the existing rules do not cover this eventuality because it cannot emerge from the existing rules!

To summarise, to make this clear, you can deep-strike the two Special Weapon Squads while others in the HQ platoon deploy normally because the reserves rule exempt units from deployment with the army. And nowhere in the 40k rulebook is it stated that units comprising single FOC selections must be deployed simultaneously.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2008, 16:00   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Oh, thanks much, Mr JD and Mr Tom Now, all I need is the coup de grace from Mr Wargamer and I safely explain to my opponent that this is legal
Old 11 Aug 2008, 17:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

There's really a much simpler explanation :P In the paragraph under the drop troops doctrine it states that any guard infantry unit may deepstrike if it chooses to do so. On the preceding page it goes on to define a guard infantry unit as officer's with their command squads, anti-tank squads, fire support squads, special weapon squads, mortar squads hardened veterans squads and normal infantry squads.

It is important to note that each squad is considered a separate unit, and not the entire platoon. When it actually comes to deploying those seperate units, I've always rolled for each force org choice for my reserves rolls, but now I'm thinking I've been doing that wrong....
Old 11 Aug 2008, 18:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
There's really a much simpler explanation :P In the paragraph under the drop troops doctrine it states that any guard infantry unit may deepstrike if it chooses to do so. On the preceding page it goes on to define a guard infantry unit as officer's with their command squads, anti-tank squads, fire support squads, special weapon squads, mortar squads hardened veterans squads and normal infantry squads.

It is important to note that each squad is considered a separate unit, and not the entire platoon. When it actually comes to deploying those seperate units, I've always rolled for each force org choice for my reserves rolls, but now I'm thinking I've been doing that wrong....
The question is rooted in 4th edition thinking, in which entire FOC selections were diced for collectively when rolling for reserves. This is no longer so (you were doing it right before, but not anymore).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote