Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Do you think the new codex will keep the guard's "weirdness" factor?
Closed Thread
Old 08 Aug 2008, 08:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Do you think the new codex will keep the guard's "weirdness" factor?

I remember reading WD when the last IG Codex came out. They said something about how they wanted to keep some of the funkiness and stuff from the previous fluff that makes the guard unique. We've got some new ogryn figures, so I'm sure those will stay around. What about some of the other units?

Rattlings? Priests? Psykers? Tech Priests... ?

How about rough riders?

Think these will be around come next codex?

Current models for some of the above figures are ancient, really. Hopefully they'll get a makeover.

Think they'll come back with the penal legion (I know conscripts counts as, etc), or maybe human bombs? Any other ideas from IG past?
Old 08 Aug 2008, 14:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Do you think the new codex will keep the guard's "weirdness" factor?

The diversity of the Imperial Guard has been well established in fluff and the new codex will do well to embrace that. I think the freedom offered by the Guard codex is one of its principle strengths. I think most other players (especially Necron and Dark Eldar players) have to be very creative to make an army that is full of unique character, but IG (and Ork) players are bombarded with a variety of different flavours to choose from and are actively encouraged to design their own. IG also have an extensive model range to support this. Eldar players have but one Guardian model and must paint it and convert it in their own unique way to seperate it from other Guardians; but IG players (if they've got the tin) can choose their Guardsmen from Vallhallans, Catachans, Elysians, Tallarn, Death Korps of Krieg, Cadians, Mordian Iron Guard, Vostroyan Firstborn and Steel Legion!

I don't know exactly what will happen to Rough Riders, but I don't think they'll vanish. They're a welcome addition to a Death Korps of Krieg army in the guise of Death Riders, so perhaps we'll see some plastics come out?

Ratlings on the other hand I think are altogether too unpopular. People like snipers because they have a certain irrevocable 'cool' factor to them, and the rules for sniper rifles now make them quite a bit more deadly, but cowardly halflings with archaic ballistic rifles just don't mesh with the classic image of a ghillied up sniper lurking unseen and waiting for the perfect shot. I really think Ratling squads might go.

I have no doubt they'll bring in some other interesting stuff though; some reborn from yesteryear, some entirely new. But I rather think 'human bombs' might be deemed too controversial in this day and age.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 14:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Do you think the new codex will keep the guard's "weirdness" factor?

But since when has GW minded being controversial? Plus the Orks get living bombs.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

Old 08 Aug 2008, 14:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

The fluff of the iG will remain Im sure, the rumors for the codex keeps almost all the old doctrines as upgrades to make things easy and Im sure that rattlings will be improved as they supposed to have now entire units with snipers for guard and as the rattlings are better for that they must provably will be like the eldar pathfinders that have rending on 5+ hope for that :P

but well we must wait for next year when it comes up to see it and test it
Old 08 Aug 2008, 15:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by viorlashasui
But since when has GW minded being controversial? Plus the Orks get living bombs.
Little green critters doing wacky stuff that inevitably gets them killed is one thing, but the representation of human suicide bombers hits you a little closer to home. Perhaps you're right; GW do play off the events of both World Wars in codex IG, but I think suicide bombers might still be just a little too current, espcially for the British public. I don't think GW will go there just yet.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 15:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Half the imperial guard is ripped off Soviet or Nazi stuff! I don't think it's a stretch for them to do suicide bombers. Make them Tallarn and send 'em against my Eldar any time.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

Old 08 Aug 2008, 16:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Half the imperial guard is ripped off Soviet or Nazi stuff! I don't think it's a stretch for them to do suicide bombers. Make them Tallarn and send 'em against my Eldar any time.
I thought I just made this point myself. Thanks for listening. :
Old 08 Aug 2008, 17:05   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
I find it very insulting but I leave it at that :
Old 08 Aug 2008, 17:07   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Aye, Human Bombs... probably not going to be in anytime soon.

I was considering adding a unit of rattlings to my army, and doing some greenstuff conversion on them to make them more "sniperish". Maybe put some masks, file away the furry feet to add boots, etc.

I am concerned the rattlings will go the way of the squats as well, though, and don't feel like putting that much effort into the models just yet. Rattlings are a great way to field lots of sniper rifles though, a much better way than taking special weapon squads.

Upgraded rough riders would be nice. I'm tired of the Atilla the Hun guys, and I don't run Tallarn or Death Corps.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 17:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Suicide bombers are out of the question, they can safely do what they want with Nazi's because the Nazi threat is long gone (I'm not sure what Imperial guard you are refering to being Nazi anyway?) the threat of suicide bombers is ever present.

Back on topic, I think all those things you mentioned will stay bc99, except for the Ratlings for reasons already stated by TN, Rough riders may be replaced lightly armoured bikes or something else similar although I'm hoping they will keep the horses.
Closed Thread