Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop Troops against Horde Armies: How do you handle them?
Old 06 Aug 2008, 17:25   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Drop Troops against Horde Armies: How do you handle them?

Well, I'm going for Drop Troops since Static Guard ain't working for me. Drop Troops seems fun and competitive but I played a VASSAL game against Orkwarrior's Orks. Now, his Orks are the typical WAAARGH!!! with mostly Ork Boyz and whatever comes with them. I've loss the game with him.

Now, the problem is; how do you handle horde armies with Drop Troops?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 17:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Drop Troops against Horde Armies: How do you handle them?

Well I suppose the answer is essentially the same as the means by which any army fights hordes; use lots of area effect and anti-personnel weapons. For drop troops I guess this depends upon how fluffy you want your army to be and whether or not you're using the Elysian army list.

Presumably your question relates specifically to the predominance of deep striking infantry, so my advice would be to field a lot of flamers, demolition charges (if playing Elysians) and Catachan pattern Sentinels. The advantage of drop troops is that they can be deployed within spitting distance of the enemy and fire immediately without risk of getting charged before they can take a shot. The other side of this coin is that such troops will likely be overrun immediately afterwards.

To be honest, the only real way to handle a horde is by having a massive firebase of pie plate chuckers, inferno cannons and heavy bolters pressed up agains the back of your deployment zone. Deep striking into close quarters with a swarm is almost always going to end badly, no matter what weapons you take. In my opinion, there is no way for drop troop guard to gain an advantage against horde armies.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 17:58   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Well, that suck Well, I got 8 Sentinels (2 Catachan and 6 Mars Patterns) and 10 Infantry Squads with Flamers on them. I supposed those would be enough to hold off until Turn 5 or at least Turn 3 :P
Old 06 Aug 2008, 19:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

Deep strike some flamers close to the enemy and watch them burn. Sentinels are great for this and special weapon squads. Hellhounds also helps a lot when facing large numbers of weaker (as in non space marine) infantry. The look on the nid player's face when I deep struck 2 sentinesls right behind his horde of bugs and then a hellhound rolled up and set another 12 on fire. Best thing about open top sentinels is that they are cheap and they explode when killed in close combat a lot of times, I've had a sentinel kill 10 orcs with the flamer, get charged by 2 mobs of orcs and then killed 12 more when it exploded.

The key to guard is balance, the bets thing I found is to go both static shooting and drop troop at the same time. It confuses the hell out of the other guy. I normally have about 1/4 of my army deep strike or get close to the enemy in some sort of way. While he is trying to handle my deep strikers my static gun line shoots the hell out of them.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 20:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah a static fire line and a drop troop section is good for balance and competitive lists, but you get absolute zilch fluff wise.

Since when do airbourne units have access to hellhounds? Some people may, and will have some reason to, call you a powergamer. Sure, all of us true drop troop armies wish we could have a trio of russes, but it just wouldn't... feel right...
Old 06 Aug 2008, 20:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

While flamers are useful dont forget w/ the new rules grenade launchers are a nice alternitive.
Old 06 Aug 2008, 22:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Grenade launchers are a good option if you keep your distance with 4 of them in a command squad. Orks, gaunts, other IG... All of them will take serious casualties from massed frag grenades.
Old 07 Aug 2008, 02:44   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Well, as a rule for me, I don't take tanks along with Drop Troops for fluff reasons and I'm not sure about Infantry Squads as static fire base so I extend that rule to it.
Old 07 Aug 2008, 02:55   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If like me you play agains orcs I find DS BEHIND the horde to be VERY effective ... making the foot slogging boys about face and have to go back to get me. I try to take out a boss or buggy with my vets and then leave him the options of come back and get me ... delaying getting to my fire base OR ignoring me and have em shooting him in the back for the rest of the game ...

A win win situation for DS I reacon
Old 07 Aug 2008, 03:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Gecko is back!
Yeah a static fire line and a drop troop section is good for balance and competitive lists, but you get absolute zilch fluff wise.

Since when do airbourne units have access to hellhounds? Some people may, and will have some reason to, call you a powergamer. Sure, all of us true drop troop armies wish we could have a trio of russes, but it just wouldn't... feel right...
Easy, the 133'rd War Pigs is a Joint Ops force with Cadians holding the static line and Catachans doing the ambushing and assaulting (getting close to the enemy). Who said any thing about the troops being dropped from the air, the catachans were there the whole time using super camo skills to ambush the enemy.

I only use Catachan models for deep striking and Cadian models for static line, so no one has ever complained. It looks like it fits my army perfectally. They normally see the cadian static forces when the game starts and as it progreses crazy Catachans start poping out all over the place. Those cazy Catachans you never know what they will do next... this just dawned on me, if I was a power gamer would I be playing IG?

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote