Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anti-tyranid tactics.
Old 03 Aug 2008, 21:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Anti-tyranid tactics.

Many people believe that tyranids are the bane of an imperial army. So instead of complaining about it i decided to create this thread. Any comments on any of the tactics or descriptions are welcome and feel free to add missed tactics. It will take a while to get up so will be put up in sections.

Section 1). Synapse.

Synapse is the heart and soul behind the tyranid drive, it makes nearby squads fearless and immune to instant death. Stopping instant death is the most difficult to deal with as the synapse creature themselves are multi-wound. The toughness of synapse creatures also helps them deal with small arms fire although las-guns are able to wound even hive tyrants, this is important to remember as you may end up falling back on this technique if nothing else works.
Synapse creatures are tougher than than the rest of the army (carnifex excluded) and so are inevitably your first target. By killing these guys you will deny the army of a lot of its heavy shooting abilities and make the swarms themselves less effective. As a rule ordenance would be better used on the horde to try and wittle the numbers down. But don't be afraid to target the rest of your high strength shots towards the creatures as these have the best chance of taking them down although the swarm will give them a 4+ cover save. Target the creatures who are supporting the most swarms with their twelve inch synapse range. If you can make a flank collapse you can use that to your advantage.
Tanks will help you here as a successful tank shock and failed death or glory will kill even a synapse creature although it will leave your tanks at the mercy of the rest fo the horde.
A final comment on synapse is that if you do destroy the synapse most of the army will have to pass a leadership test of 5 or fail to count as a scoring unit. Even if the unit chooses to lurk it does not count as a scoring unit. If you are capturing their objective they will probably have a small squad on the objective and this unit will probably not have synapse support. Remeber this and try and force leadership tests on this single squad using mortars or deepstriking stormtroopers (not normally done against tyranids.
(also remember that not all creatures are protected by synapse ( insta-kill them to see the look on your opponents face))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 11:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Anti-tyranid tactics.

I don't have trouble with bugs...just shoot them. The little ones go down easy to lasgun fire, the medium ones are a pie-plater's wet dream, and the big ones can't stand up to massed multilaser and autocannon fire.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 11:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Im just doing it to help those who get stuck.
Plus im very bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 12:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

MISSILE LAUNCHERS, MISSILE LAUNCHERS, MISSILE LAUNCHERS are now THE bane of the nids. Stock up on like ten of those and like ten mortars with something along the lines of a 70+ lasguns and lots of multilasers. With all that the Nid player is going to have to go the bathroom to change underwear >
Kharvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 19:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

ok as bieng a nid player my self i have the folowing to tell you:

weapon not good for nid killing:
lasgun/pistol

weapons good for nid killing:
anything between ap2 and ap5

two of the best film quotes EVER:

One crow, sorrow. Two crows, joy. Three crows, a letter! Four crows, a boy. Five crows, silver. Six crows, gold! Seven crows, a secret never to be told.

Congratulations, Monkey! You just bought yourself a fighting chance!
jacktheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 20:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

and i can say, having been a previous nid player...

weapons good against nids:
anything that can fire at them at a range beyond their assault.

bad:
if it was a bad weapon, you wouldnt use it...

altho lascannons were never very usefull >
my nids loved em.
but maybe thats cos of how i managed to keep em alive...
thats the joy of distraction...
a 10 base swarm of flying rippers scare the poop out of people. especially when they have no idea just how evil they can be
i rememerbi had a carnifex named boberic st james . dont ask y... but he personally loved anti tank weapons . he was only ever felled by a psychopathic chaplain with a plasma pistol. and only then because his claws had been tied [i got bad rolls on the random attack dice...]
i almost wish id kept them nids... but.. i have too many armies already...

yeah, one good point i remember of nids is thus:
dont let them intimidate you. just shoot them.

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 22:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In my experiences against tyranids:

PRIMARY WEAPONS

Lasguns: Generally don't do jack, but since we all have over a hundred of them, they will kill off some gaunts. Problem is you only get one round of shooting before your assaulted.
Hellguns: Hellguns have 2 advantages. Firstly, they deny most 'Nid saves, and secondly, they are carried by stormtroopers who are BS4. Use these to take out wicked close combat units like genestealers, since they are fragile.

SPECIAL WEAPONS

Grenade Launchers: Good for taking out medium toughn
ess units with the krak grenades, and good against those gaunt swarms with the frag grenades. Especially with the new blast template rules.
Flamers: Next to useless. Your almost never gonna get to use them without moving, and the last thing you want to do against the 'Nids is move closer.
Plasma Guns: Nice for taking out the monstrous creatures. Also nice for frying your own men.
Melta Guns: Not that scary against the 'Nids because they don't have any vehicles, but they are still usefull for taking out those monstrous creatures with excellant saves. Short range is a serious handicap.

HEAVY WEAPONS
Mortars: Excellent choice for taking out swarms of gaunts. The best use of mortars however is taking out assault units such as genestealers who will almost always be using cover to advance, as they are vulnerable to small arms fire.
Heavy Bolters: These things rape "Nids of all shapes and sizes. Heavy bolters will slaughter swarms, and have enough strength and volume of fire to put a dent in monstrous creatures.
Autocannons: Excellant for taking down monstrous creatures. They don't have a very good AP, but they have a high enough strength to wound the big nasties quite frequently. It helps that they get two shots.
Missile Launchers: The perfect anti tyranid weapon. Frag missiles wipe out gaunt swarms, and krak missiles take down even the carnifex with ease.
Lascannons:
Great for taking down the fexes, but lack versatility. I would take the cheaper missile launchers instead.

VEHICLES

Sentinels: Give 'em a heavy flamer and go obliterate some gaunt broods. You can also wade through them in close combat since they are only strength three. A multi laser is another solid option.

Chimera: This sucker throws out quite a few shots that will rip through tyranids, and is well armored. It has always proved effective for me.

Russ MBT
Battlecannons are the 'Nid players worst nightmare. Take a pair of these bad boys. It's virtually impossible for the Nid's to kill it at range now, since their most powerful weapon the venom cannon can only glance.
Demolisher Tank: This sucker dishes out more death than the grim reaper. Pie Plates are your friend against 'Nids.
Hellhound: The hellhound was basically designed to fight tyranids. High strength and good AP ensures that no horde survives contact with the hellhound. Take at least one.
Basalisk: I feel like I've said this before, but pie plates are your friend. That being said I would rather invest my points in a Russ MBT or a Demolisher because I prefer presenting a target that simply can't be killed to not presenting a target so that they can target my fragile infantrymen.

As a side note, keep in mind that Ripper Swarms have the vulnerable to blast weapons special rule.

Hope that helps.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 23:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

my anti tyranid tactic is as follows missile launchers, shotguns.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 01:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcyca
my anti tyranid tactic is as follows missile launchers, shotguns.
Shotguns eh? Gotta be honest, I baulked at that when I first read it, then I gave it some thought and I can see where you're coming from - A unit with shotguns can serve as a countercharge unit for when the line of conscripts in front of them gets eaten by the Tyranid swarm. Once those gribblies finish their lunch they're all lethargic and thereby unable to consolidate into the line of veterans standing only a few feet away brandishing shotguns, with murderous intent.

I suppose when close combat is almost a forgone conclusion its best to prepare a way to deal with it than fuss over a way to prevent it.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 07:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc [messyart
link=topic=70203.msg1004064#msg1004064 date=1217968848]
a 10 base swarm of flying rippers scare the poop out of people. especially when they have no idea just how evil they can be
i rememerbi had a carnifex named boberic st james . dont ask y... but he personally loved anti tank weapons . he was only ever felled by a psychopathic chaplain with a plasma pistol. and only then because his claws had been tied [i got bad rolls on the random attack dice...]
WHAT!?! 10 FLYING RIPPERS, ANTI TANK WEAPON LOVING ST JAMES.....U MY FRIEND ARE TRULY...EVIL > IN A GOOD WAY

back to topic.

ok heres some more advice:

if it goes under ground,aka deep strike,heep a minmum of 7inch distance between each unitand when it pops it little head up and it scatters hopefully it will miss. do NOT. i repeat, DO NOT use scatter weapons when they are close to a freaindly unit....

i found out this the hard way...flashback...

it was an 'apoco' game and my side had orks(me a long time a go), chaos(me), ig, dark angles and tau. their side had nids with a trygon, nids, foot slugger orks and a farsight tau.

it started on the second turn, the trygon had come up underneth the baneblade and taken away a structer point. so my orks with a looted wagon, and two battle wagons(all with boom guns and the bw's had lobbas were close enough to use them) unleashed hell on the beast 9 big shootas hit, 2 rockets hit and 1 boom gun hit, the rest scattered....the trygon was felled along with:
the baneblade, went nuclear killeing a nearby platoon(whole)
2 karskins squads
the command plattons
and a heavy weapon platoon.
what the ig player did to me was pick up a wooden ruler, that he uses to cut straight lines , and hit me repeatly on the head....
amazingly we wo-lost

two of the best film quotes EVER:

One crow, sorrow. Two crows, joy. Three crows, a letter! Four crows, a boy. Five crows, silver. Six crows, gold! Seven crows, a secret never to be told.

Congratulations, Monkey! You just bought yourself a fighting chance!
jacktheodd is offline   Reply With Quote