Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard good change of pace?
Old 03 Aug 2008, 18:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Imperial Guard good change of pace?

So I have been playing Tau and Thousand Suns for a while now, and I have just been bored lately. Running around and shooting for Tau, and basically the same thing for the Suns (just much slower).

I was hoping to start an Imperial Guard army, but I like the idea of hordes of people running to their deaths. Or maybe even just static line shootiness. Is it even a good idea to make something that consists of just foot-slogging humans ready to die? I know the lack of armor would make it a good change of pace, but would it be smart to pour money into Guardsmen and a new codex?

I would like any good suggestions. (My friends play Khorne CSM, Necrons, Eldar, and my g/f [Who I play with the most] plays Orks)

Thanks ahead of time!
lami13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2008, 19:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Imperial Guard good change of pace?

*Pssst* Sons. Thousand Sons.

Static gun line IG armies are typically chronically boring to play after the first couple of crushing victories. If you're bored of moving and shooting, then swapping to an army that only does the second bit isn't a great choice. They're effective, but I wouldn't recommend such an army as a 'change of pace'.

We've been discussing the merits of different styles of infantry squad based IG armies on this thread. Take a read. You might find an idea that appeals to you.

If you want something really different though; something that wins by way of waves of infantry and doesn't simply out-shoot the enemy, then might I suggest a Tyranid horde?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2008, 19:57   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for your input, I think that Tyranids don't really look as cool as the Guard do. I was looking at some SIGAFH list and almost goo'd my pants. And it would be an amazing start to a 3000 point army. I will look at some 'nids again, but all your points were spot on about it probably being boring after a while.
Old 03 Aug 2008, 20:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Try death world veterans, there book can be found online on the GW website, the guardsmen but w/ next to no tanks and are kinda a guard army yet very diffrent.
Old 03 Aug 2008, 20:42   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

How much would I be looking at if I were to build something close to a 1500 to 2000 point army? I would do something along the lines of just standard troops, heavy weapons teams, and some elite troops. Tanks would be a while away, as I have not gotten that far into IG mentality.
Old 03 Aug 2008, 20:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Fingon

i Would not suggest starting an IG at this very moment.
The new codex is going to come within a year so you may waist money on units you don't need.

Second, i would not suggest an entire army consisting out of infantry, the reason for this is that it is boring, lots of painting work, expensive and most of these list are kinda cheezy. if i would have been you i would use infantry as a main attack force but would take some backup from tanks(or either basilisks).

This may vary from your opponents and your play style but its just my opinion. ;D

How does one kill that which has no life?

The statement below is false
----------------------------
The statement above is true
Fingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2008, 21:05   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ok, I guess that gives me more time to save up some money. I would still like the idea of all infantry, just to see how many losses I can take and still win. I guess I like how my g/f plays her Orks and just wish I could do something of the likes. All right, I guess I will just have to wait.
Old 04 Aug 2008, 11:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingon
i Would not suggest starting an IG at this very moment.
The new codex is going to come within a year so you may waist money on units you don't need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lami13
Ok, I guess that gives me more time to save up some money. I would still like the idea of all infantry, just to see how many losses I can take and still win. I guess I like how my g/f plays her Orks and just wish I could do something of the likes. All right, I guess I will just have to wait.

I don't agree with that. GW aren't exactly going to drop units from their cash cow model range. There are currently only two unpopular models in the IG army list; Ratling snipers and Rough Riders. But other than that, there's no way in hell GW are going to discontinue some of their most popular models. Leman Russ? Here to stay. Chimera? Ditto. Cadian infantry squad? Don't even think about it. Besides, how many units can you really drop from a codex before the existing collectors become outraged? How many units can you really drop from a codex before it ceases to truly resemble the army it was?

There is no reason to avoid buying the models now. Perhaps unit configurations will change and maybe some squad re-numbering might be necessary, but you'll still be able to use your models. The codex, however, will be replaced...but if you can't afford twelve quid for a new codex once in a blue moon, I think you're in the wrong hobby.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 11:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

For the rough riders, they are just too expensive to make a viable option. Something like 6 pounds for a model- when you have five models you could have bought a basilisk, 10 riders and you can have a basilisk squadron.
Im thinking of doing a cold one conversion as its five for 12 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 17:18   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think what he was trying to get at is the fact that some games (not friendly ones) play by WYSIWYG, and that some things may have to be taken apart or have to be added on in newer sets. Even if I do wait a year, I meant that I didn't have to be in a hurry to start buying models now. I do have two armies I play with now and I even get to play as Orks once in a while. I also have college bills, apartment, and a new GTI to pay (and modify) for. So with what he said (if I heed his warnings), I don't have to be eating Ramen Noodles for a semester or so (a man can only eat so many empty carbohydrates).