Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armoured fist
Old 31 Jul 2008, 20:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Armoured fist

This is sort of a question as well as any tactics for armoured fist squads you have.
First off.
Can an armoured fist squad claim an objective if it is still in the chimera?

And what sort of weapons do you take for the chimera and squad itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 21:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Armoured fist

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic-swede
This is sort of a question as well as any tactics for armoured fist squads you have.
First off.
Can an armoured fist squad claim an objective if it is still in the chimera?

And what sort of weapons do you take for the chimera and squad itself?
Yes the rules (don't know which page number) states that vehicles do not count but a unit can still claim even if its in the transport. At least thats what I remember.

As for the weapons, I like the Heavy flamer. No to hit roll needed, no cover saves due to it being a templet weapon.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 23:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBunny
Yes the rules (don't know which page number) states that vehicles do not count but a unit can still claim even if its in the transport. At least thats what I remember.
It's on page 90; under 'Scoring units'.

[hr]

If using Imperial Armour rules, you have access to TL Heavy Bolters and Autocannons. I rather like the Autocannon myself. I really can't extoll the virtues of the ubiquitous Autocannon enough; it's useful against infantry, skimmers, fliers, transports and monsterous creatures. And when you put enough of them on the table, you're sure to get side/rear armour shots at enemy vehicles, and the Autocannon really excels in this fashion.

If restricted to codex options then I suppose the standard multi laser is never a bad choice. It's a good all-rounder.

I suppose it depends how you want to use your Chimeras. Are you going to use them to race forward at the last moment to seize objectives? If so then you'll probably want a general purpose weapon with a bit of range. The multi laser is a reasonable choice, but it lacks the AP value to defeat most saves and if not used in a proactive fashion it might not get to shoot up side/rear armour facings. In which case I think I would take a pair of heavy bolters and just hose down infantry from a distance. Conversely, if you mean to use your Chimeras to ferry special weapons troops or Ogryns to the enemy, then a pair of heavy flamers is a fine choice.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 23:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Armoured Fist Squads don't really exist any more - do they?

Now that transports are not restricted to transporting their dedicated units, taking an armoured fist squad in the Force Organization Chart is just a way to take another single infantry squad and a chimera that can shuttle all your guard infantry squads around.

With that in mind, I would equip your armoured fist squad as you would a standard infantry squad in a your platoons. That way, you play your armoured fist squads as you would a normal infantry squad. In my army list, they would simply take a place in the main battle line with every other model. And that's what I'd recommend you do as well.

I'd give your chimera a multilaser and heavy bolter, hunker down and fire until you need to taxi your infantry squads to the objectives.

Good luck manic-swede!
Old 01 Aug 2008, 09:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I use two armored fist squads in my SoB army...I use them strictly for fire support. Each squad effectively comes with an autocannon, a multilaser, and a heavy bolter. The chimera not only multiplies the volume of fire, but if the enemy gets dangerously close, the squad can load up and reposition. This is rather costly, as you lose two turns of shooting, but it beats being overrun. Realistically, if the squad has to mount up, they might as well sit out the rest of the game inside their rolling coffin. Unless it happened on turn one or two, you don't realistically have time to set up the autocannon and get enough shots off to be worth re-exposing the unit to enemy fire after you've moved out of danger. Even if you never get forced to, you'll want to mount up late in the game in OBJ games and move onto an objective (unless you're guarding one from deployment). If guarding an OBJ or playing KP, you will want to either mount up or, more likely, hide behind the vehicle when your model count drops to the point where you think you may be a turn away from annihilation.

To summarize, the plusses of a mechanized squad are:

1) Two extra heavy weapons (six additional medium-strength shots)

2) The ability to effectitvely reposition, either to preserve the unit or sieze an objective

3) Chimeras are effective LOS-breakers in TLOS games

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote