Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anti-Tyranid Tactica and poll
View Poll Results: Who finds Tyranids a pain to beat?
Yes 7 50.00%
No 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 29 Jul 2008, 12:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Anti-Tyranid Tactica and poll

N/A
Old 29 Jul 2008, 13:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Who hates Tyranids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i like pulse rifles
Since playing 40k I have found the most annoying army to play against and that is the Tyranids (I hate them! > > >). So i set this poll up for all you Imperial Guard players to find if you feel the way.

Death to the Xenos
Not at all. it's just a matter of knowing how. Although they do seem better in 5th (hence I've gone and got me an army of my own gribblies).

Old 29 Jul 2008, 13:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Come on, bud. Is this poll anything but useless hatemongering? Does this serve any useful purpose? If you're looking for advice to beat them that's fine, but if this really is just an open floor for people to whinge about Tyranids then that's not on is it.

Look, if you know you're going to be fighting Tyranids then there's no sure-fire way to beat them (especially with the new rules), but some weapons are more effective than others. Hellhounds are your new best friend. As fast attack choice you probably ought to have three of them. Heavy bolters should be your preferred heavy weapon, and if your opponent is ok with you using Imperial Armour units, then you can't go far wrong with an overgunned Exterminator to lay down a deluge of AP4 fire. Flamers might seems like an appropriate weapon, but nine times out of ten your men will simply get overrun before they can fire a single shot with them. Meltaguns aren't a great choice for the same reason, but plasma guns can be used to bring down big beasties and even grenade launchers have use now (new template rules). Multilasers for your Chimeras are a fine choice as they are acceptable gribbly-killers and have the strength to be a threat to monsterous creatures too. A squad of ratling snipers is no bad choice against Tyranids - Use them to pick off the leader beasts. Don't waste your points on close combat gubbins for any of your units though. If Tyranids get into close combat with you, you've lost.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 14:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tom is right, this thread is pretty shallow...

But we could transform it into something grand! An Anti-Tyranid tactica! ;D

The Nids are the bane of the Imperial Guard, because they are a pure assault army. They are incredibly fast, and lethal in close combat. With the new rules they can move forward, run during the shooting phase, and then assault you. In a best case scenario, that means they can basically assault from 19 away. In a worst case scenario, then can assault from 24 away...That completely takes away your chance to even fire your lasguns, muchless things like meltaguns and flamers.

I have come up with a handy tactic for tying up those ridiculously fast gaunts. Sentinels. Sentinels can't be killed by gaunts (unless they are in a squadron in which case an immobilized result by upgraded gaunts will kill it) and they are strength five. They can tie up a gaunt brood for quite some time (unless of course a hive tyrant comes along and smashes you to bits). Use sentinels to tie up gaunt broods, so that you can focus your firepower on the big nasties.

Like Tom said, the best means of taking out those lightning fast gaunts the hellhounds, but I have used my sentinel tactic several times now, and it works well in buying me time.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 14:40   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Anti-Tyranid Tactica and poll

N/A
Old 29 Jul 2008, 15:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

luck

seriously though, I'll add my two cents here. Lascannons are great against the big beasties, especally if they only have 2-4 senapse creatures. Hit the tyrant and zontropes with the lascannons and warriors with heavybolter/autocannons. If you can take out senapse in the first turn or two you can concentrate of the larger threats like carnifexes and genestealers.

This is pretty basic info to most of you but if your in a tourny and are using a balanced list(you'll most like have lascannons) you'll have to use all your weapons to their best effect.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 15:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Vall, don't forget your sentinels are open-topped though, so you can still get destroy lone sentinels. They're a good choice for tying up spinegaunts and other garbo S3 gaunts though.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 16:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall
The Nids are the bane of the Imperial Guard, because they are a pure assault army.
Not so. Template weapons such as the barbed strangler combined with Deathspitters will wreak havoc on a Guard Infantry line (especially massed infantry when it doesn't really matter if it scatters) to soften your units up for the crunch.

Quote:
They are incredibly fast, and lethal in close combat. With the new rules they can move forward, run during the shooting phase, and then assault you. In a best case scenario, that means they can basically assault from 19 away. In a worst case scenario, then can assault from 24 away...
This is more likely, but only because of the Run rule. They'll still want those Hormagaunts to be in Synapse range just in case they flop in combat. The real danger is from Outflanking Genestealers, but a good tactic for dealing with these is to ensure you create multiple combats that the involve smaller, easier to kill gribblies in with the harsher ones. If they lose combat, every unit involved has to take No Retreat saves. True, this tactic is better for Marines who have that extra surviveability, but if it comes down to H2H you'll need all the help you can get.

Quote:
I have come up with a handy tactic for tying up those ridiculously fast gaunts. Sentinels. Sentinels can't be killed by gaunts (unless they are in a squadron in which case an immobilized result by upgraded gaunts will kill it) and they are strength five. They can tie up a gaunt brood for quite some time (unless of course a hive tyrant comes along and smashes you to bits). Use sentinels to tie up gaunt broods, so that you can focus your firepower on the big nasties.
Beware of Toxin'd Homies, here, they can kill open-topped Sentinels through sheer weight of numbers, but in essence this kind of unit could come in useful in the multiple combats mentioned above...

Old 30 Jul 2008, 00:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

As a Tyranid player I have some good input for this board. Firstly, hating an army is not going to help you win any games. I don't like necrons, but I'll play them given the chance. It feels so much better to beat your msot hated enemy, does it not?

Firstly, what kinds of tyranids do you play? Nidzilla (while suffering form the only scoring troops rule) is much different from a swarm, or a genestealer cult, or a flyign circus...

Swarms require tanks. And oh boy, do the IG have tanks! Battle Cannons can wreck havoc amongst tyranid swarms, while being resistance to all shooting they can do (Save for a carnifex venom cannon or similar). Hellhounds are effective as well.

Agaisnt an army with monstrous creatures, veterans with lascannons can work because of the good accuracy, either that or teams of lascannons which will be a big target, or just massed heavy bolters (Take twenty saves and not fail two, I dare you!)

Any actual questions for me? Or just more whining?
Old 30 Jul 2008, 01:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have a few suggestions:

Autocannons tends to kill MC's better than lascannons
The "No retreat" rule means that you can actually BENEFIT from a big, swirling melee - if you manage to take out a bunch of those weaker spinegaunts. If you win by even one wound, EVERY UNIT IN THE ASSAULT recieves one wound - which can cripple an assault after the first round. So don't be afraid of spreading a counter-charge to touch one of those stealers and all those spinegaunts.
IA exterminator tanks are great at anti-bug
Swarms are vulnerable to blast templates - that is, you double the wounds for each wound - and they flow onto other models.
Cover/smoke grenades are your friend against VC's - as are sponsons. We now have to immobilise twice or destroy all your weapons before you die with out main anti-tank weapon.
Remember that although nids have many good close combat options, they're either slow or troops - and iif you take out all the troops, they can't win most scenarios. You may have difficulty against nidzilla in annihalation though...
Remember that if a MC hits your special character, it's insta-gob, so buried powerfists may be better.
Last chancers are terrifying to me (you have HOW MANY powerfists?)

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Wu
You must conserve shampoo for the greater good.
Closed Thread