Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anti-Tyranid Tactica and poll
View Poll Results: Who finds Tyranids a pain to beat?
Yes 7 50.00%
No 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 30 Jul 2008, 01:46   #11 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Anti-Tyranid Tactica and poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieLauren
Autocannons tends to kill MC's better than lascannons

Last chancers are terrifying to me (you have HOW MANY powerfists?)
Couple points:
  • An Autocannon's two shots can't compete with a Lascannons AP value. Monsterous Creatures are typically better armoured than 4+.
  • Last chancers are restricted to 15 points from the armoury. Given that powerfists cost 20 points each, I'd say it's about time you called your opponent(s) for cheating.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 08:46   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just putting myself out on a limb here, my first forum post...

Not having actually play nids myself, but instead watched a lot, what ever I say is open to be completely destroyed, or assassinated, your choice.

From what I have gathered, one way of taking them down, is to take out senapse creatures, using autocannons or lascannons, and then try to inflict as many leadership tests as possible... I would go into more detail, but haven't got 5th yet, so don't know what has changed.

Easiest leadership test that you can inflict is probably 25% casualties on shooting. (regarding rank and file weapon options, pinning is another option)

Old 30 Jul 2008, 09:13   #13 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

I was just about to ask whether it is usually better to target the big beasties holding the force together, or the small critters that are going to cause the most damage (not necessarily in combat/shooting, but holding units, preventing fire and allowing heavy hitters to get in). I'd imagine on the face of it that it would be better to take out the synapse creatures as Darth Riah said, but then I've seen some Guard armies swamped by the little critters that have been able to reach the lines unharmed with attention focussed elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Old 30 Jul 2008, 10:19   #14 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Riah
From what I have gathered, one way of taking them down, is to take out senapse creatures, using autocannons or lascannons, and then try to inflict as many leadership tests as possible...
Right on target. That's exactly what you're ment to do against (swarm) nid armies. Problem is, it works a lot better in theory than in practice. :-\
Old 30 Jul 2008, 10:33   #15 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As the last two posters indicated, the problem is that the nid player will try and provide too many options for you take down before they reach your lines and deal damage...

I guess you have to try and give priorities to targets... take out the one which will hurt the most if left alone...

Old 30 Jul 2008, 13:15   #16 (permalink)
Shas'O

I suppose you have to judge for yourself which is the better target on a game by game basis. If your opponent has a writhing carpet of gribblies under the command of just one or two synapse creatures then I guess you gun for the leader beasts. Conversely, if he has a great many synapse creatures you should probably ignore them and focus on gunning down as many critters as possible.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 13:24   #17 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've always had a difficult time with Tyranids as well. I think my problem might be the lack of armoured units such as Leman Russ' and Hellhounds that simply ignore the attacks from the basic units such as 'gaunts. (Which might change now - as all attacks go to the rear armour...?) When playing an army like the Tyranids, you can't rely on one section of your force to win you the game. Even if you succeed at killing thw big creatures by throwing all you have at it, the genestealer and 'gaunt squads will probably still rip your troops to itty-bitty pieces.

I like pulse rifles, you are on your last warning from me good sir. The majority of your posts are unnecessary, trivial and spam. The only thing preventing this thread from being locked was the good advice given by the members here. Your behaviour here is appauling. If other people can post within the guidelines and be wonderful members - why can't you?
Old 30 Jul 2008, 13:32   #18 (permalink)
Shas'El

May I add that traditional Nidzilla armies can no longer win? THey ususally have one or two tyrants, and anywhere from 2 to 6 carnifex (And maybe a red terror as well). To save points, we would take ripper swarms as our troops. But swarms don't score, and with only troops scoring now...

Nidzilla will go through a revamp. Probably just a couple of spinegaunt suads hiding behind LOS or behind a MC. Not as effective though...
Old 31 Jul 2008, 00:16   #19 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Personally, I have never really had a hard time with the Nidz. From the very beginning my list has been based around Cityfights... as a result, I have a good number of Hellhounds and even some Catachan pattern sentinels that help quite a bit.

As has been already mentioned, it's really just a matter of targeting the right units.. personally for me that means usually gunning and flaming my way through the swarm and hitting the Synapse critters.. but hey, every list is different.

I've actually never played against a Nidzilla list before.. sounds scary though.

~ For Him on Terra! ~

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Closed Thread