Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Leman Russ Conqueror, a more viable option now?
Old 27 Jul 2008, 16:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Leman Russ Conqueror, a more viable option now?

Hey guys, this is regarding the Leman Russ Conqueror and the new fifth edition rule set.

Is the conqueror a more viable option now? Usually people would take an exterminator instead, but because of its nerfing (I will take about this in a moment) is it a better choice to take the conqueror now?

The exterminator can't shoot nearly as many of its weapons now, which was its best advantage over the other Russ varients.

The conqueror is more mobile, can still shoot, and with no partials on its blast weapon, it seems much more effective now, not to mention the boost in armour resistance (glancing I mean)

So what do you all think?
Old 27 Jul 2008, 16:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Leman Russ Conqueror, a more viable option now?

All ordnance weapons have been made into more devastating weapons, though they are incredibly inaccurate. with no partials though, an ordnance blast that scatters its maximum of nine still has a chance of taking out some units, provided you target the appropriate units.

with defensive weapons now only strength 4 and lower, the exterminator will have to sacrifice its mobility in order to fire all those heavy bolters and earn its name.

So in my opinion, the Conqueror is now a better choice than the exterminator, though I myself will continue to field the Standard Russ MBT and Demolisher.

As a side note, the Demolisher is much stronger, as it doesn't receive an accuracy penalty for moving...

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 18:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

My demolisher is my main stay tank for my army now. I add normal russes after my demilisher, not the other way round.

What is so special about the Leman Russ Conqueror again? I never thought if it as much of a tank, just a weak russ.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 18:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Isn't the conqueror the same or more expensive than a Leman russ?

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 18:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Yes, it is more expensive than the Standard russ, so in 5th its in fact even less viable than it used to be. Standard russes are cheaper, equally accurate and FAR more devastating. The conqueror was made for 3rd edition, and that has been the only rule-set it has ever been viable under.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 22:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Mmm...well I can see Gecko's point of view here; the new template rules mean the Conquerer cannon will likely hit more than it used to (potentially more than the Exterminator's TL autocannons) while still being eligible to fire at the same time as other weapons (while stationary); that's still something ordnance weapons can't do. That being so, Gecko is suggesting that the Conquerer is now a viable choice as a static line gunpig (which just turns its fluff on its head). I'm still not a fan though, I'd rather pay the same for a pie plate slinging monster, but I do agree that -in a way- the conquerer has actually been upgraded by 5th edition.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 16:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Mmm...well I can see Gecko's point of view here; the new template rules mean the Conquerer cannon will likely hit more than it used to (potentially more than the Exterminator's TL autocannons) while still being eligible to fire at the same time as other weapons (while stationary); that's still something ordnance weapons can't do. That being so, Gecko is suggesting that the Conquerer is now a viable choice as a static line gunpig (which just turns its fluff on its head). I'm still not a fan though, I'd rather pay the same for a pie plate slinging monster, but I do agree that -in a way- the conquerer has actually been upgraded by 5th edition.
Thanks Tom, you read my mind!

I know I am paying more, when there is a better choice, but the conqueror is also a better choice then it had been. My main interest in the conqueror is for fluff reasons, where my not-40k army uses light tanks alongside their infantry lines, and a leman Russ normal varient or demolisher really does not give the 'light' feeling.