Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A First Look at the 5th Edition by Colonel Zenai
Old 24 Jul 2008, 15:42   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default A First Look at the 5th Edition by Colonel Zenai

OK, some of you may have played the 5th Edition. This isn't a discussion about the future Imperial Guard Codex but how the 5th Edition affects the current Imperial Guard Codex. Now, let us take a look at the 5th shall we?

Movement
Nothing much here except it give more clarification with picture so people don't cheat by moving 7". And some more clarifications but nothing to point out.

Shooting
TRUE LINE OF SIGHT! I've been playing this already since the start Ok, the problem is that if you're on top of a building you can't bring your guns to bear because the models behind can see through the floor :P So, only those at the ledge are the only ones that can shoot. So, I recommend putting your Heavy Weapons and Special Weapons at the ledge so you can fire them.

Another problem is; the units can block each other's sight so you might give your opponent +4 cover save. With some smart deployment, you can fix that So, it's a double-edge sword, you can get +4 cover save as well as your opponent. But someone (either Yriel or Fish_Ead) has come up with a tactic for this but Crazedmongoose already explains it on his Tactica but I will explain it to you too;

1) The units are arranged thus with C being Conscripts and I being Infantry Squads with those precious Heavy Weapons. With this formation before you shoot, you can have your line of sight for your Infantry Squad to your target and shoot without them having the +4 Cover save.

C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C
I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I

2) After the Infantry Squads done shooting, run your Conscripts so they shield the Infantry Squads thus giving your Infantry Squad the +4 Cover Save. And don't forget; Cameleoline will be great for this

Wound Allocation; this is good especially they're in rapid-firing range. We have a chance to get rid of that Painboy among the Nob Bikerz or that Tyrant protected by Tyrant Guards. But again, this is a double-edge sword as your opponent has the chance of getting rid if that Heavy Weapons we loved so much

Pistol, Plasma, Snipers and Ordnance; OK, so pistol is an Assault 1 weapon now so no more 2 shots if you don't move. Bad for those who likes to use Plasma Pistol. But good news for those Plasma gunner junkies like me, we will only get the 'Get Hot!' result on a 1 only so rapid-fire away! Sniper rifles has Rending now! Yay for those Ratling and/or Special Weapons Support Squad with Sniper Rifle and/or Light Infantry But again, better to have Sniper Rifles en-massed.

Ordnance! Nothing change especially Defensive Weapons being Strength 4 only. We already be using either our Hull-mounted and Sponson Weapons or our Ordnances. NO PARTIALS! And even if we move our Leman Russ 6", we still have that 2D6 - BS. A bit of a nerf but I always like them to scatter >

Assault
Consolidation; Oh, Babe! No more consolidating into the next unit after your opponent slaughters a unit. This is the chance to rapid-fire it to Hell! Revenge for our fallen comrades! Yes, this saves us from having an Assault unit consolidating every time it wins combat.

Defender Reacts; Forward, you dogs! We can bring our full strength of our Infantry to bear......ya, 10 strikes from a guardmen...yay! BUT this is good for Conscript Infantry Platoon especially when they're at full strength of 50. Daemon Princes and MCs will think twice before charging into a 50-men Conscript Platoon > 200-point Conscript Platoon with 50 wounds and 50 attacks vs 200-point Daemon Prince/MC. Oh yes, please charge my Cannon Fodders >

Morale
Nothing much change here except the Ld modifier for Combat. This could be bad especially when we're taking more wounds and that's not uncommon if we fight MEQs or Horde (Orks and Tyranids).

Vehicles
Movement; 12" at the most and 18" on the highway 8) And if we move at 6" instead we still scatter (if you're firing Ordnance) no worse than if we're stationery. Can be good especially when you want to move your Tank forward.

Shooting at Vehicles; HELL YEAH! Nothing at Str 8 can pop our Leman Russes, provided they're aiming for the Front Armor Value :P Stick them in cover or give them Smoke Launchers and you get a Ninja-Tank! AV14 and +4 cover save! This is gonna frustrate your opponent's attempt at getting rid of anti-MEQ Ordnance weapon > The new Vehicle Damage Table has made our tanks much, much tougher.

Vehicles and Assault; No more maneuvering just to get to that Rear Armor Value. But I think we're less likely to be assaulting vehicles.

Squadrons; OK, this is bad for Sentinels. An Immobilized result will automatically pop a Sentinel if it's in Squadron of 2 or more. We may have to think real hard on this if we're taking Sentinels. Give them cheap weapons so their loss isn't so significant.

Ramming
; AV14 + Movement at 12" + Tank = Str 9 hit! Oh, yes. Something to do with that Leman Russ with no weapons at all. But be cautious when trying to ram Skimmers and Walkers.

Mission Special Rules

Infiltrate/Outflank; Nice if you're going objectives or want to strike from behind with your 3 Plasma guns or 3 Meltagun (if you're using Hardened Veterans, of course) But the ol' Infiltrate will do nicely as well. You just have to see the circumstances and react accordingly.

Outflank can also be used by your opponent. Static IG gun-line might find themselves facing 2 fronts. So, be cautious. Bring in units to protect your flank as well as you can.

Deepstrike; Deep-striking is better now as your units will have a better chance of surviving their drop.

Missions
Seize Ground; No longer table quarters; for those with static gun-lines, this is trouble. For one, static gun-line is made for defending, not capturing objectives. So, we really have to move across, out of cover to capture the objective. For Drop Troops, some of your units will go harass the enemy while the others will capture the objectives. For Mechanized, go straight for the objectives, block and contest the objectives. If you can't win, go for a draw instead.

Capture and Control; This is more suited for static gun-lines as you just have to defend the objective from your opponent if you want to have a draw, of course. Again, have one element to defend the objective while another element (either Conscript Infantry Platoon Rush, Drop Troops or Armored Advance) to flank the enemy and go for the objective.

Annihilation; This is, by far, the worst mission we can get. 7 KPs from one FoC slot (One Infantry Platoon has 1 Command Squad and their Chimera Transport and 5 Infantry Squads). I suggest avoiding this for the moment until we get our new Imperial Guard Codex that may fix this problem.

BUT We can sorta fix this my maxing the first 2 Infantry Platoon meaning full 1 Command Squad and 5 Infantry Squads in each platoon and even maxing out the Command Platoon by filling it with 1 Command Squad and 5 Support Squads.

- Credit goes to Tom Norman and Jordan

Deployment
Pitched Battle; nothing new and very familiar to us all.

Spearhead; this is kinda new. But I have yet to play this so I'll leave this until later.

Dawn of War; OK, this is VERY bad for us especially when we're fighting Orks and Tyranids. They can get to us faster and swarm our gun-line. I suggest getting some 'speed-bumps' to slow down your opponent and we can mowed down their numbers to a more manageable level.

So, it's important to get that first turn. You get to place your 1 HQ (1 Command Squad and 5 Support Squad) and 2 Troops (1 Command Squad and 5 Infantry Squad each) in the first turn and with that, we can get more fire power than your opponent can muster. You can also just deploy your units at the table edge's to widen that gap between you and the incoming horde of CC monsters

- Credit goes to Jordan

Alright, that's all for now from Colonel Zenai. C&C is always welcome
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2008, 18:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Re: A First Look at the 5th Edition by Colonel Zenai

I've got some points to disagree on, especially about Dawn of War. For a static gunline, this scenario actually favours us against orks and tyranids. Most of an IG army's firepower is packed into the HQ and first 2 troop slots (and with the new KP system, we should be maxing out the first 2 platoons before adding more to minimize # of units) So, we've got a lot of firepower on the board that's going to be in range of whatever 3 units your enemy decided to place as close to your deployment zone as he can. If you get first turn, most of your army shows up, you completely waste his 3 units and mop up the rest as they come in from his edge on his first turn. You get second turn, you've got a few priority targets on your turn, but otherwise, most of his army is still going to have to slog it up the field from board edge.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 18:50   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Oh, right. Good point. I'll add that bit later
Old 24 Jul 2008, 22:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Good article, Zenny.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 01:58   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Thanks I've edited some of the points especially the Annihilation and Dawn of War.