Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What? Rear armor?
Old 23 Jul 2008, 23:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default What? Rear armor?

Back before 5th edition, I bought two armored companies to build and play. Im not even done with it and now that 5th edition came out, my tanks are sooo much weaker! So now that any melee done against the tank counts as rear armor, what good is my armored company?
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 23:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: What? Rear armor?

Very.

Now.[list type=decimal][*]There are no partial hits[*]Glancing hits will never destroy a Tank in one go[*]Nothing strength 3 can get at you anyway[*]Units still cannot consolidate after fighting a tank[/list]
But the downsides
  • Defensive 4 weapons
  • attacking rear armor

The positive make up for the negatives in this. Especially the No partial hits.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 23:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

If dedicated anti-tank infantry are in base-to-base contact with your tank, chances are it is dead anyway, or they can move thar further 3-4 inches to get at your rear anyway. Best thing to do is just stay away from them...

Battle/demolisher cannons have recieved a huge boost, so that alone can re-balance the tank. Only bad thing, is we lose what shooting we could have had with the heavy bolter..
Old 24 Jul 2008, 00:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Whoa whoa whoa...Okay so in addition to making my tank's armor in melee range as weak as a loaf of water-logged bread, they made only str 4> weapons count as defensive? Way to add insult to injury GW... What can I do increase my survivalbility now? I mean AC was already a bit of a difficult list to play if played right now its just downright difficult yeah? What did you mean by partial hits? Also what boost did the Battle/Demo Cannon recieve? I have been out of touch with 40k rules for about a month, and just now freaked when I saw the punked out rule regarding armor.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 00:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Hits that would have been partials in 4th are now full hits in 5th. How do you make your tanks more surviable? Easy. Stand still and paste your enemies with templates until they get close, and then move 6" while you paste your enemies with templates, focusing on the ones that are most threating to you in the assault phase.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 00:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I see. Well how would one counter something along the lines of a Winged Hive Tyrant?...It'll take quite a few templates...
Old 24 Jul 2008, 00:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_drummer_boi
I see. Well how would one counter something along the lines of a Winged Hive Tyrant?...It'll take quite a few templates...
Oh for the love of... :

How did you counter winged Hive Tyrants before? If one of those things attacks you in close combat it doesn't much matter which armour facing takes the punishment!

Reserve judgement until you've actually read the rules. Tanks themselves have actually benefitted in more ways than they have suffered. In addition to JD's list of avantages, we can now can tack on the option to ram other tanks.

What has hurt the Armoured Company (and to a lesser extent the Armoured Battlegroup) is that only non-vehicle, non-swarm units from the 'Troops' allocation count as scoring units. Two out of the three standard missions are now almost impossible for an Armoured Company to win. But even that shouldn't be a particularly sore point for you, because as a tread head I expect there is little you like more than slinging HE shells about and blowing the buggery out of everything in sight. And as pointed out several times already - With the new template rules our ordnance weapons are now even more potent!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2008, 00:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Theres always the upgrades such as extra armour and track guards to help keep your tanks rolling, but generally if something gets into close combat with you, it is pretty much over.

The winged hive tyrant is always going to be a problem, along with all the other absurdly fast units scattered throughout 40K assault armies.

Best way to deal with that flyrant in my opinion? hit it with every lascannon, crack missile, heavy bolter, heavy stubber, storm bolter etc. etc. you have.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2008, 10:55   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Tanks have now become god.

Case in point, my club has some forgeworld "Tank Bunkers"; a rectangular sandbag with the fourth side open, and big enough to fit a tank inside.

Whilst parked there, my Tanks get a 5+ Cover Save (4+ if we decide it's an armoured rampart).

So, let's do the math; Glancing Hits can't kill me, Penetrating Hits kill on a 5+ (not a 4+ like it used to be), and I get a Cover Save against the lot of them.

Anyone touched by my Ordnance Templates are hit, and as was proven vs Tau on Monday this helps (a Whirlwind took out an entire Kroot Squad in one shot!). In terms of accuracy, the difference is only slight; in 4th, the average scatter roll was 3.5, now it's 4 for the Guard (2D6-3 = 4 average).

Yes, our tanks are more vulnerable to assault, but the price we pay for that is greater resilience against shooting, and an unholy increase in firepower!

Oh, and on the subject of Defensive Weapons... you're a Guard player, why the hell are your tanks moving!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2008, 19:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Have the Moving and Shooting rules changed at all? Because before with the main gun taken out, I would fire all 3 heavy bolters. Now I have to shoot only one due to the str 4> defensive rule unless the moving and shooting rules have been altered.