Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The sentinal. Your views
Closed Thread
Old 03 May 2005, 07:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default The sentinal. Your views

I feel the sentinal is a great inovation of IG tactics. The light armour and fast yet very manourvable steel frame of this formidable machine is matched only by its tactical advantages.

I find most inexpirenced players will tend too unnessesarally watse most small arms fire on them being either very ineffective or completely wasted. As for expirenced players the threat that a few of these simple yet deadly machines pose is more then that of a Banblade. Although a good tactic when fighting vechiles is too kill them after the main force is dead, this dosnt apply too sentinakls as against most forces a small 3-6 sentinal force will hold their own.

The varity of weapons and equiptment also make them 'value for money' (well value for points). The variety of weapons carried by these brutes will cause damage too just about anything and everything. The catachan chainsaw warrior version is perfect for CC and assaults while the Cadian pattern with las-cannon is perfect for taking out the bigger things and most armoured. These versitile, cheap and small vechiles seem completely out of place and vunerable but will put up the greatest of fights.
Old 03 May 2005, 07:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Warbird Send a message via MSN to Warbird
Default Re: The sentinal. Your views

I have 3 squads of 3. One is armed with a flamer, one with a las cannon, and one with a multilaser. My squads have done very well.

I am a ordinary person living a extrodinary life
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/
Not as good as pron but it's damned close
http://www.turnsignalsonalandraider.com/
Poke'em in the eye
Old 03 May 2005, 08:43   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I've used them in a variety of roles, anti-charge unit being one of the most successful.

When the enemy starts to close to assault range, my Sentinels step between them and their target, and pepper them with Multilaser/Autocannon fire.

Suprisingly, Sentinels also seem to make excellent tank hunters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 03 May 2005, 09:37   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
I find most inexpirenced players will tend too unnessesarally watse most small arms fire on them being either very ineffective or completely wasted. As for expirenced players the threat that a few of these simple yet deadly machines pose is more then that of a Banblade. Although a good tactic when fighting vechiles is too kill them after the main force is dead, this dosnt apply too sentinakls as against most forces a small 3-6 sentinal force will hold their own.
Well I was playing my Space Wolves against Armoured Company yesterday and the lightest armour in my opponents army was Sentinels and hence the only thing I could hurt at range. I actually found small arms fire is more effective than close combat against them. Bolters with a vast number of shots work well because you 6's to glance which is do-able, the problem I had was once I engaged them in combat I coudn't hurt them.

Sentinels are really cool, In my Praetorian army I have some old Rough Trader Sentinels that have multi-lasers that look like gatling guns. It is also amazing how long Sentinels last even tohugh they only have a low armour value. I feel that they amongst the most under-rated Guard vehicles.

Inquisitor Verwoerd
Old 04 May 2005, 09:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion

Ya they are very dependable for what they do.

Usually i'd go with a mix of weaponry in my sentienal squads say 1 lascannon 2x autocannons i like to keep the ranges about the same.

Personally i dont find them to do much damage in combat but are great for holding back a full unit of gaunts for example. Charge lock is great with them.

Also always having them on the board really helps on tourneys where reserves are usually used.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 04 May 2005, 21:47   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Setienals are very reliable and help full

but the one thing you have to look out for is heavy weapon squads they always destroy my squad
so if you are fighting a heavy weapon squad have your setienall get behind cover and blow them away then(better chance of living if the enemy attacks back) or have you infantry kill them as fast as you can
Old 04 May 2005, 23:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

i like sentinels cause they are cheap and are good support units,and with the magnets, they can have any weapon you wish

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 05 May 2005, 01:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I personally like sentinels for all of the reasons already said, but the problem I have with them is that they are extremely easy to destroy, and with nothing protecting them but their weak armor, their not gonna last long, sortof like a less-expensive land speeder without the skimmer ability.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 05 May 2005, 02:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like the sentinals, they look realy cool and have neat weapons but they have no staying power on the field.

The sentinal is kick ass, but not worth it.
Old 05 May 2005, 22:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

jd, the armageddon pattern is the one with the lascannon.cadian has the auto gun. ;D

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Closed Thread