Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Russ Exterminator?
Old 23 Jul 2008, 15:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Russ Exterminator?

So how come the Space Wolves have access to the Russ Exterminator but the Guard doesn't?

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 15:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Russ Exterminator?

When the Wolves 'dex was written, the Guard did have access to it.

Does anybody know why it is, though, that the Leman Russ is called the Leman Russ? What's the connection?
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 16:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

But In the 5th Edition Rulebook, the Space Wolves still have access to the Exterminator, but the Guard does not.

Well, Leman Russ was basically a human battle tank...Fitting name for a tank if you ask me.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 16:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

They removed stuff from the most recent Guard 'dex though to undercomplicate it, like the Griffon and the Exterminator. The Exterminator is still in the Space Wolves Codex, so why should it not be in the 5th Ed book? It isn't in the Guard Codex, so why should it be in the 5th Ed book?
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 16:14   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Simple, they didn't update the SW Codex for the 4th Edition. Otherwise, they'll either take it out from the SW Codex or kept in the IG Codex.

The Summary table seems to be taken from the current edition. Remember, the Codex will supersede the Rulebook once the new editions of the codex comes out.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 16:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Circus, If im not mistaken its because he helped design it.
“Never break the rules, for They will only make them harder to get passed and the consequences will be the worse for it. Instead, bend the rules, and bend with them. This allows for no sight of the incursion to be noticed, thereby remaining un-acted upon by Them.”
ropya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 16:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropya
Circus, If im not mistaken its because he helped design it.
Which is fair enough but it makes me think "Well why don't the Wolves have proper Russes? Not just Exterminators? I'd field one. Hell, I'd field three!"

Edit: I know Leman Russ battle tanks, for their effectiveness and points, would probably unbalance a Marine army. I'd pay whatever points cost is considered fair. We have Vindicators and Laid Raiders. I'd pay somewhere between the two for a Russ. I play for coolness, not game winningness.

You may call me Circus.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 16:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Actually I agree w/ you on that (even though I field a Sally des Force)
It makes since to me for the SW to have the Russ.....
Their Primarch (sp?) helped designed it....so they should have it.
They are Wolves (pack animals)..... so they should have packs of Russ's.

I think only the SW should have access to it though. And only in specialized configurations. Otherwise you would end up taking away from the IG.
“Never break the rules, for They will only make them harder to get passed and the consequences will be the worse for it. Instead, bend the rules, and bend with them. This allows for no sight of the incursion to be noticed, thereby remaining un-acted upon by Them.”
ropya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 16:48   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Actually, Leman Russ found the STC Template for the Tank design thus the tank is named after him.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 17:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

To be fair IG armies can still field Exterminators (and a whole host of other variants) if you and your opponent agree to use Imperial Armour rules. I've never met anyone unwilling to accomodate them, and if the codex legal alternative to an Exterminator is another regular Leman Russ or a Demolisher then I know which I'd rather face, especially with the new shooting restrictions for vehicles.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote