Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Equipping a Scratch-Built Commander
Old 23 Jul 2008, 03:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Equipping a Scratch-Built Commander

Well, the time has come, during the rebirth of my Valhallan army, to sculpt a commander. Now, with a few practice sculpts under my belt, including a junior Officer form of Generalissimo Stankov, a model based off of an image in IG Ed. 3, and a Savlar Chem-Dog, I feel I'm ready to make this happen.

I've built the skeleton of sorts, using a few cadian bits. I only really use these to cut down on greenstuff, I just sand all the detail off, and use heavy gauge steel wire to armature everything.

The plan is for the commander to hold a powersword in his right hand, and a plasma pistol in the left.

Heres a pic of the concept, piccies of the model WIP to come sooner.

However, this isn't in hobby, so I need opinions for gameplay.

What should I equip him with?

I'm thinking:

Power Weapon
Plasma Pistol
Carapace Armor
Trademark Item (Voice, I know its unorthodox, but my troops hearing his stentorian roar amidst the battle is most inspiring)
Krak Grenades

Thoughts? I'm expecting this guy to get stuck in combat quickly, so I'm gearing him up for assault. He'll be in a Chimera with a Reggie Standard, Holy Relic, Medic, Master Vox, Commissar w/ Power Fist, and Pysker.

Ideas?
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 03:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Equipping a Scratch-Built Commander

Refractor field? Might be handier in assault against power weapons then carapace armour.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 04:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmm, not a bad idea, especially as I very often play a Space Marine army, notorious for Assault Squads with heavily equipped Sergeants.

I'd take it instead of carapace though, you think thats a good idea? I just don't want to have both, I think its a little unfluffy.

Would you consider any medals or awards, things like that? I'm thinking maybe the Macharian Cross...
Thoughts?
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 23 Jul 2008, 05:46   #4 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalissimo Stankov
I'd take it instead of carapace though, you think thats a good idea? I just don't want to have both, I think its a little unfluffy.
Why unfluffy? I can't see what would be wrong with a Commander equipping himself with a refractor field built into Carapace Armour or as well as. I think Creed has both, and it's sort of extra protection, not really one or the other. It's like wearing good armour as well as a force field.
But, I think it could be worthwhile taking instead of Carapace to save points, and will probably come in handy in assaults if that's where you want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 08:15   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Carapace & Refractor combo seems quite normal to me; I'd imagine the device is built in to the armour.

As for Medals, I've always liked the Medallion Crimson, but the Macharian Cross is a good one if you want something a little different. Besides, it does make him feel so much more like a General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 13:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think my issue with Carapace and Refractor is that its just too much, you know? I could see a Valhallan officer wearing a carapace vest out into battle, or if he's especially lucky, a refractor field... but both?

I think that one or the other is most appropriate, but if you guys say both is okay, I suppose I'll try it.

Wargamer: I was thinking the Medallion Crimson, but the Macharian Cross's benefits are pretty good, and fluffwise it makes a lot of sense for my regiment to be lead by a tactical genius... after all, they're, in fluff, ill equipped and poorly fed, they've got to have a pretty great leader to follow through all that.

Thoughts?
Thanks for all the comments!
Stankov

Old 25 Jul 2008, 23:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

well you could always give him the refractor shield for points and upgrade but fluff wise say its down to his skill at dodging/blade what ever...
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 02:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, perhaps a cover save would be more appropriate for that type of attribute.

For those curious, I've finished the sculpt, its awaiting painting. Heres the thread in Conversion.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=69888.0

Thanks,
Stankov

Old 27 Jul 2008, 04:09   #9 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

That's nice.

Personally I'm going to go with both for my Commander.
I don't really see anything wrong with it. If Carapace Armour is at all available, an officer is going to be likely to wear some. The refractor field would probably be a rather more expensive and unique piece of wargear (not that I know) and an experienced or rich officer would have the chance to pick one up. If one or the other isn't available then the officer wouldn't even have a chance at taking both, but if possible, I know I would if I could.
(if that makes any sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 18:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

I love the plasma pistol on my commander, assault, high ST, and shoots through any armor. Combine that with a power fist or power sword and he makes space marines cry. My commander have killed an eldar avatar, dreadnaught, demon price and other big targets using his plasma pistol, he never leaves home without it now.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote