Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Considering Death Korps.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 22:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Considering Death Korps.

Hiya folks.
With my Tau and Dark Eldar armies finally approaching where I want them to be, I'm considering my next project. I've got to say here guys... I'm really digging these Death Korps chaps. So I have a few questions I'd love to have cleared up.
I don't want to shell out the 40-50 on the Siege of Vraks if it turns out that this ain't the army for me after all, so could someone with knowledge on it share with me a little about how they play? Typical army lists and tactics? I know that a lot of heavy armour is used, but how much is too much? What about things like cavalry and transports etc? How am I supposed to use these elements together to field a force? Any special rules I should be aware of? You get my drift right?

Basically guys I'm just incredibly in the dark here, more so than with any other army I've started out with. So as much light as can be shed on the matter would be great. Feel free to just throw anything about your experiences or knowledge of the army at me .

Thanks alot.

PS. I'm aware of the rumours about plastic greatcoats in the next IG codex, but it doesn't really sway my want for the resin Forgeworld ones much, so if we could keep such discussions about the pricey FW models being a waste right now out of here I'd appreciate it.

"I spit in the water that old people keep their dentures in MWAHAHA!" -Kruellagh the Vile

"One time some tourists asked me to take a photo of them and I ran off with their camera!!!" -Urien Rakarth
sol blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2008, 23:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Re: Considering Death Korps.

They actually aren't really a heavy armour regiment. They're more of an artillery regiment. They're kind of thin on transports, and your infantry are going to be slogging it across the field for the most part, especially seeing as they can't take heavy weapons in they're squads, so you need to close in to use special weapons. Your squads are also a but pricey for standard guard infantry.

The toughest choices for your army are going to be your elite slots (DK grenadiers, which can bring absurd amounts of special weapons to the fight or artillery batteries which bring absurd amounts of pie-plates to the fight.) Personally I'm more a fan of the artillery, especially with 5th ed template rules.

Krieg Roughriders are also superior to their standard guard brethren, and have an option for an HQ choice, for a potential 4 RR squads. They compliment the infantry well to as krieg infantry are meant to get into CC, unlike usual guard tactics. I can't speak from experience, but I could see a combined infantry/deathrider charge doing reasonably well if it was supported by an artillery barrage.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 02:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I don't want to go into the intricties of the siege army list mechanics, but I shall add to Jordan's imput by briefly describing the fluff:

As Jordan said, the Death Korps of Krieg is not traditionally affiliated with heavy armour. Though there are some Krieg Armoured regiments, the Death Korps is first and foremost known for its infantry regiments. The Kriegs way of battle is to hurl men at the enemy defences in wave after wave in a cold-hearted war of attrition fuelled by the Imperium's almost limitless resources and manpower. This irreverence for human life and the soldiers' selfless mentality of service in death is born of a nuclear civil war that wracked their home world for 500 years - It is a service of penance for their heresy. Tanks have use in the Death Korps infantry regiments as siege vehicles used to support infantry assualts on strong points. Some regiments however regard tanks as little more than rolling shields and more gristle to throw into the meat grinder in an effort to clog its gears.

More prominently affiliated with the Death Korps are the Death Rider squadrons - They're essentially rough riders that ride genetically engineered mounts of superior strength, resilience and fighting spirit.

Also common to the Death Korps war of war is masses of artillery from heavy guns like Earthshakers and Bombards to medium artillery like Thudd guns and heavy mortars. They are used to bombard the enemy positions to cause destruction and attrition from a strategic perspective, and suppressing and fixing in a tactical application.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 12:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Death Korps are like any other Regiment except they are mainly Siege Regiments, but you do get Tank Regiments and Infantry Regiments. They don't make much of Transports except from the Grenadiers, they use the Grenadier Centaur Light Assault Carrier to ride where the fighting is fiercest and support the Troop Squads on the front line (and maybe seek enemy armour). Although there is the Gorgon Armoured Assault Carrier which is a massive troop carrier, which can carry loads of troops to the front line, but it's mainly used for assaults when there is a lot of ground to cover.

The Death Korps get Special Rules (not sure if I'm allowed to state them), for being a hardened force and whilst being thoroughly trained for Siege warfare, mostly some of the lists you'll come across will use the basic layout, except they don't use/have Heavy Weapons in their squads. Furthermore Death Korps use a lot more Artillery than other Regiments so you'll get something called the Quad Launcher Gun and the Heavy Mortar Gun which both count as Elites in the Death Korps organization.Calvary wise, the Death Korps have the Death Riders, which are bascially like Rough Riders, except they benefit from the Special Rules too. (And you could have an army of these guys!)

I hope this helps somewhat.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 18:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I wouldn't really say thats true. Death Korps really CANNOT field a "typical" IG army (I'm considering a stand and shoot army as typical). They have no heavy weapon option in their basic infantry squads.
Old 26 Jul 2008, 18:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
I wouldn't really say thats true. Death Korps really CANNOT field a "typical" IG army (I'm considering a stand and shoot army as typical). They have no heavy weapon option in their basic infantry squads.
I see your point there.

But what I'm saying is that they basically have the same layout as any other Regiment, of course without the Heavy Weapons in the squads.

Edit: To cease further confusion I've re-phrased what I've said about the 'basic layout'.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 04:05   #7 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Woah, Death Korps actually sound really cool (besides the constant army sacrifice), particularly the artillery and assault squads (well no HW's). First time I've been tempted to collect them (not that the mini's are bad or anything, I just like Elysians - not that I can afford either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 23:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal585
Woah, Death Korps actually sound really cool (besides the constant army sacrifice), particularly the artillery and assault squads (well no HW's). First time I've been tempted to collect them (not that the mini's are bad or anything, I just like Elysians - not that I can afford either).
I'm an Elysian fan myself. I don't like DKOK at all though. I think it's really great that Forge World has given us two IG armies from such opposite ends of the spectrum. Great models, but damn they're hard on the wallet!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2008, 08:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would personally say no because it would be cheaper to greenstuff steel leigon if you really like death korps or else just collect a diffrent type of guard because it really isn't worth the cost of resin soldiers.

Guardsmen-
http://bobthebuilt.deviantart.com/ar...oster-98448744
click on it.

Apature science would to remind you that the weighted companion cube does not speak and if does it is recommended that you disregard its advice
thedestroyerofworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2008, 15:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Cheaper? Maybe, but I'll tell you right now, modeling coat extensions on Steel Legion is all kinds of frustrating. I did it for my veteran squad and it took me close to a year of working on 9 models to get them finished and painted, and they still didn't turn out that great. I am, admittedly not the greatest with greenstuff, but I really wouldn't attempt something like that unless you really know how to work with the stuff. In the end it probably wouldn't be that much cheaper anyways, seeing as a squad box of SL costs around 45 dollars and wouldn't even give you a usable squad. You'd need to buy piles of extra guys, not to mention special weapons and heavy weapons with can cost around $14-20 for one guy/team.