Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting IG
Old 16 Jul 2008, 00:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to demitriusnassy
Default Starting IG

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I think that 5th edition butchered Space Marines. Now before you start yelling at me, I'm not talking about equaling them to a Hormagaunt. I just don't like the way the new codex supposedly affects them. I was thinking about starting Guard, since they are my second favorite army. Pros? Cons? please?

"You dare stand against the might of the millenia and the number of the dead?"

"..." zap. "..."
demitriusnassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 01:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Starting IG

Pros:
You're not playing the super noob army that everybody and their brother plays. The Guard seem to lack enough numbers so as to make them an army that still has individuality to it, where as armies like the marines have a thousand players all playing the same thing. Guard does however have enough influence that they have a fantastic range and get new models fairly frequently, not to mention Forge World is more like an awesome guard model factory.

Guard allow you alot of flexibility, anything from ninja commandos sneaking in to assassinate some important dude to a bunch of conscripts that accidentaly got dropped on a warzone way to hot for their experiance. Doctrines allow you to play almost anything you want, and if you're willing to buy a IA book in addition to the guard codex then there are additional lists for: Elysian drop troops, Tallarn Desert Raiders, D-99 (a special task force, ask around about it if you're interested, i dunno much about them), Siege Infantry, Traitor Guard and Armored Companies.

Guard are also just people, which is were alot of appeal for them comes from. A boy in flak armor defending his home from demons is so much more inspiring and heroic than a several ton walking tank with a geneticly engineered pilot and a full-auto grenade launcher defending his.

They are also alot of fun to model, the realm of experimentation with guard is massive, and even if you only do a conversion once, it still fits in with the army and the feal most of the time.

Cons:

Playing guard is pretty expensive, with guardsmen costing only 6 points a piece you need a fair number of them to play a sizable army. $200 dollars will get you slightly more than 500 points.

Playing guard is hard. not necissarily, if you go the D'yime route a play a ten million man army with only lasguns and las-cannons, its really easy, but youll be playing the game to win and not for fun, nullifying everything 40k is supposed to be. if you go the route of the normal person, guard takes getting used to, deciding something is a mjor commitment with the guard, requiring several squads and sometimes armored support. Youll probably loose alot of your opening games, i still loose most games, but i play to my fluff. Guardsmen are bulletcatchers, so let them catch bullets. If you like playing in acordance to fluff, then guard is alot of fun.

hope i helped

+1 -AC
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 01:49   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Beowulf got it right Some of the newbies and assholes might laugh at the humble Guardsman......until they see 200 models on the table and/or Leman Russ Tanks. And they look down upon the lasgun as well, it will be too late when they're in rapid firing range of 50 lasguns. Even a Terminator or two will be mowed down by the torrent of fire.

And even Mechanized, we can field twice as more vehicles. Infantry Squads are the backbone of the Imperial Guard. We can play with Infantry Squad spam alone. Who else can brag about that? Furthermore, we can have the least KP. I can even field 3 KPs worth army while my opponent got like 6 KPs for a 2000 point game.

Fluff-wise; we got books from Dan Abett's Tanith First-and-Only series to Sand Mitchel's Commissar Cain series. We got wide range of models from your generic Cadian and Catachan models to Forge World's Death Korps of Krieg and Elysian Drop Troops. And there's a million worlds in the Imperium, you can make one up and say your regiment is from this world and blah blah blah suit them to your fluffy pleasure.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 04:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Demitriusnassy, I'd just like to direct you to the Search function because I'm sure people have asked this question a lot.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 08:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenny
And even Mechanized, we can field twice as more vehicles. Infantry Squads are the backbone of the Imperial Guard. We can play with Infantry Squad spam alone. Who else can brag about that? Furthermore, we can have the least KP. I can even field 3 KPs worth army while my opponent got like 6 KPs for a 2000 point game.
What's 'KP'? That's an abreviation unfamiliar to me. ???
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 09:07   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Kill Point, Mr. Tom Norman Get with the 5th! :P
Old 16 Jul 2008, 13:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

don't worry tom it took me a second to figure it out too(it's so early in 5th I don't think everyone will understand abreviations yet :P )

but Zenny is that really a bonus? yes we have more kill points on the table but guard are easy to kill. You don't get points for the units you have surviving, just the ones you kill. :-\
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 14:05   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

I like to see them kill 55 Guardsmen who are in cover and have Cameleoline > but I guess getting an extra KP is also worth it :P
Old 16 Jul 2008, 15:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
but Zenny is that really a bonus? yes we have more kill points on the table but guard are easy to kill. You don't get points for the units you have surviving, just the ones you kill. :-\
To be fair, Zenny said: "...we can have the least KP" (though that doesn't seem true to me). :-\
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 15:33   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
To be fair, Zenny said: "...we can have the least KP" (though that doesn't seem true to me). :-\
Hmmm.....I guess that's true.