Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Different Patterns?
Old 11 Jul 2008, 20:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Different Patterns?

I see many different "Patterns" in the codex and rule nook (Ex: Mars Pattern sentinel) and I was wonder what they meant. They have refer to location of course but theres the "Long pattern" Lasgun and I'm not aware of a place called "long"...

Anyone know anything about this?

The Star Forger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 20:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Different Patterns?

a 'long pattern' lasgun is just that.

A long barreled lasgun. It's used for sniping.

it says exactly what it is in the IG terms section of the codex.

Other than that you're pretty much right. Patterns are named after the planet they are bulit after. Though with the Sentinals it just refers to the way they are equiped(the weapon) rather than the chassis itself.

those that have the IA books can answer it better than me though
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 23:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Different patterns has slight quirks to them. The las-guns used by the Death Korps of Krieg tend to overheat for example. Mars pattern baneblades have better logic-engines than Lucius patterns. Stuff like that.

In terms of 40k the differences between patterns are really to slight to warrant a different set of rules. And where they do have different rules they are generaly not listed as a different pattern. Hellguns are actually lasguns with the power setting permanently set on high.

Hope that helps a little.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2008, 00:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmmm...don't really know how to say this any different to be honest, nor whether I can add anything to make it clearer for you, but I'll give it a go.

It's purely a fluff thing. In terms of location (e.g. 'Mars pattern' or 'Lucius pattern&#39 it relates to the world of origin for a particular version of a vehicle type, weapon or piece of equipment. Whether that be the world upon which the STC was discovered, the world that first started producing it, or the world that traditionally adopts a particular configuration.

An example would be the Vanquisher - There are two predominant types: The Stygies VIII pattern and the Gryphonne IV. Both perform identically on the tabletop but have a slightly different appearance to them. In fluff terms they perform differently also, but no official comparison has ever been made between the two (presumably AdMech Piests of both worlds don't want to risk finding out the other pattern is superior as they would lose supply contracts).

Another example of different patterns is lasguns. There are dozens of different variants - Mk 4 Catachan; Kantrael; Tallarn; Accatran; Krieg etc. All perform the same in gameplay terms, they just look slightly different.

Regarding short and long pattern weapons, it is sometimes represented on the tabletop. For instance, Guardsmen equipped with sniper rifles are said to have 'long pattern' lasguns. Again, this is purely a fluff thing though as in gameplay terms the sniper rifle performs entirely as a sniper rifle and has no real affiliation with the lasgun at all.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2008, 03:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh wise IG one, where could I find a great big list of this sort of thing? I'm curious what it looks like and stuff.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2008, 04:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3v!L Tak'Ukos
Oh wise IG one, where could I find a great big list of this sort of thing? I'm curious what it looks like and stuff.
You'll find this stuff in all kinds of IG fluff. The rulebook probably has some examples (the 4th edition book did), you'll find it in codices too; novels; fluff supplements like the Imperial Munitorum manual; and Imperial Armour volumes (especially Imperial Armour volumes).

Navigate over to Forge World's website and browse their online store. If you take a look through the various Imperial Guard vehicle models available, you'll see all sorts of different 'patterns'. They look fundamentally the same as the standard models but with some particular difference like an alternative muzzle brake; a sleeker looking turret; a different hull shape; a new style of gun shield etc.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 05:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks everyone I think I get it now.

Went to forge world and really saw what you guys where talking about. (8 different baneblades )

The Star Forger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2008, 15:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by L
Thanks everyone I think I get it now.

Went to forge world and really saw what you guys where talking about. (8 different baneblades )
No, those are actually different types of super heavy tank, all built around the same basic chassis. The Shadowsword for instance is not the 'Shadowsword pattern Baneblade'; it's just a 'Shadowsword'. The three different predominant patterns of Baneblade are Lucius, Mars and Arkurion. They all perform exactly the same in gameplay terms and the differences are purely cosmetic. The only instance I can think of in which armaments vary with different patterns of vehicle is Sentinels. They are named after the world that traditionally adopts a particular armament.

Mars pattern Baneblade

Lucius pattern Baneblade

Arkurion pattern Baneblade
Old 12 Jul 2008, 20:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think pattern is just type.
Or maybe just a group of weapons with the same characteristics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2008, 20:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Sounds about right.

Patterns is pretty much the different configuration your tank, sentinel or whatever will have.

That's why my sentinel conversion was called a 'Gue'vesa pattern Sentinel'...it's a configuration that you would only see amongst Gue'vesa.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote