Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

which is better?
View Poll Results: whats better for a Imperial Guard army list.
Heavy Weapons regiment 9 75.00%
Assult Weapons regiment 3 25.00%
Mortar Weapons regiment 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Jul 2008, 12:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default which is better?

i am planing to do a regiment but i can't decide which one of the three. i need your help badly on this.

please help me.
i like pulse rifles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 13:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: which is better?

In pure battle-winning terms, you want to dole out the maximum hurtiness from the longest reach. Special weapons can inflict real harm, but generally require close proximity to the enemy to do it, and there are few armies IG can outperform in close combat, so that's not a place you want to be. Mortars have a nice long reach and can merrily ignore intervening terrain, but you'd probably do more damage if you got your conscript platoons to spit on the enemy. Of the three choices presented, a blistering array of lascannons, heavy bolters and lots of autocannons is your best bet. This is the basis for a Shooty Imperial Guard Army From Hell. Be warned though, while effective, it is boring to play after a game or two. But if static firepower on an epic scale floats your boat, you can't go far wrong by basing your army on heavy weapons.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 13:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

as tom said in pure killyness the static shooty army is one of the best in the game. Unfortunately it is badly under powered in objective taking(specially in 5th). you may want to take a single Armored fist squad just for some backup.

Really I think Assault weapons are great but being shorter ranged they generally aren't as good as a heavy weapon heavy army. Footslogging it across the board with guardsmen is suicide, but if you plan on taking a drop troop army the shorter range isn't as big an issue because you'll start(hopefully) in range. It can do a lot of damage on the turn it comes in but you'll be landing in melee range, so it's a double edged sword.

between the two I'd say the SIGAFH is generally better for killing but boring. the Drop assault is generally exciting but relies heavily on luck, it can be highly effective if used correctly though. Besides nothing is more fun than deep striking a demo charge and annihilating(yes everything died) a falcon with Yieal and squad in it ;D
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 13:41   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
In pure battle-winning terms, you want to dole out the maximum hurtiness from the longest reach. Special weapons can inflict real harm, but generally require close proximity to the enemy to do it, and there are few armies IG can outperform in close combat, so that's not a place you want to be. Mortars have a nice long reach and can merrily ignore intervening terrain, but you'd probably do more damage if you got your conscript platoons to spit on the enemy. Of the three choices presented, a blistering array of lascannons, heavy bolters and lots of autocannons is your best bet. This is the basis for a Shooty Imperial Guard Army From Hell. Be warned though, while effective, it is boring to play after a game or two. But if static firepower on an epic scale floats your boat, you can't go far wrong by basing your army on heavy weapons.
thanks.

[i]Don't double post, especially if it's the same word twice. :

You can add multiple quotes to the same post, if you don't know how to do this, click the "Help" button next to the "Home" button on the top left of your screen and you will be taken to a new window with a whole list of tutorials. Double posting is frowned upon, as it's basically spam, and in your case - it is, because you posted a single word.
I'd suggest you read the forum rules over once more before posting again.
-AC[/i
]
Old 11 Jul 2008, 13:48   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Take Heavy Weapons to kill them before they're in 24" firing range. Take Special Weapons when they can get up to you close fast or they deep-strike or infiltrate. You wanna kill them fast especially when they're 12" in front of you. So, rapid fire those lasguns and plasma guns and most enemies will be cut down.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 14:11   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenny
Take Heavy Weapons to kill them before they're in 24" firing range. Take Special Weapons when they can get up to you close fast or they deep-strike or infiltrate. You wanna kill them fast especially when they're 12" in front of you. So, rapid fire those lasguns and plasma guns and most enemies will be cut down.
thinks. what do think of mortar Weapons?
Old 11 Jul 2008, 14:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

they're fluffy and can be effective against horde and if you get enough hits they can force quite a few saves on marines. They'll be even more effective when you don't have to roll for partials.

but over all most of the other heavy weapons are generally more effective. I personally have had some good out of them but your still relying on luck because it is the weakest of the heavy weapons.

if you plan on taking one make sure it's in a Mortar Support Squad, otherwise it's a complete waste. Well it you use the vox network it can be effective in a command squad so you can hide the squad and still kill something but for other than those two options they really aren't good compared to the other heavy weapons the guard can use
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 14:24   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Great against GEQs and better used in Support Squads or Heavy Weapons Platoon. Otherwise no.

In my store, there's loads of MEQs so my army list leans toward anti-MEQ.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 14:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenny
Great against GEQs and better used in Support Squads or Heavy Weapons Platoon. Otherwise no.

In my store, there's loads of MEQs so my army list leans toward anti-MEQ.
same here but my boss and one other guy does play nids so i have to have something special for them(like 7 lascannons)
Old 11 Jul 2008, 14:34   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
they're fluffy and can be effective against horde and if you get enough hits they can force quite a few saves on marines. They'll be even more effective when you don't have to roll for partials.

but over all most of the other heavy weapons are generally more effective. I personally have had some good out of them but your still relying on luck because it is the weakest of the heavy weapons.

if you plan on taking one make sure it's in a Mortar Support Squad, otherwise it's a complete waste. Well it you use the vox network it can be effective in a command squad so you can hide the squad and still kill something but for other than those two options they really aren't good compared to the other heavy weapons the guard can use
thanks. when i write the army list (i will write 3 of them,combining the results form this poll. look out for them within 1 week).