Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some new ideas on Guard - Stupid or just different?-
Old 06 Jul 2008, 16:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Some new ideas on Guard - Stupid or just different?-

Hey guys. I recently became inspired to finish my IG army during the summer, and to just get them done so they will look cool and then I can actually use them.

But I want to be different. No SIGAFH or any other set kind of army. I need to stay true to my background, and to be different and have fun doing it. My background is well, Space Romans.

I already know my doctrines because of this background. Iron Discipline, for the officers rallying their men, Die Hards because Romans were well known for holding against larger numbers, close order drill because of their fighting style, rough riders because I need cavalry, and veterans just because they are a good unit and fit into the experience of the maniples of the Roman legion.

You can get a lot of information from here: http://www.roman-empire.net/army/army.html

So my one idea was a full fast attack of rough riders. Yup. Thirty of them. But one of them will be lead by a sergeant with the Honorifica Imperialis, becoming an HSO. The model will be:

I will give the HSO carapace armor and maybe a few other goodies. So this gives me a fairly good assault unit, with thirty rough riders armed with a mix of meltas, shotguns and maybe lances on one of the squads.

So this should be a bit different, but it does not stop there. My basic infantry squads will be looking for a fight. They will move forward (alternating between moving and shooting, I think) using cover as best as possible. If they are recieving a charge, I'll form them into the Close Order Drill, otherwise they are spread out to avoid template weapons. On the charge they will from into a COD in contact with the enemy. That should give me a bit of staying power.

The Veterans in larger games will have shotguns and lascannons. This gives them the ability to do what I need. A CC unit with a punch, or a long ranged accurate tank killer.

What do you all think? Will relying on the rough riders for a heavy handed hit a good idea? Is this army different enough to be fun to use? I am open to suggestions or comments!
Old 06 Jul 2008, 18:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Some new ideas on Guard - Stupid or just different?-

All told, your proposed Rough Rider contingent is likely to cost in the region of 380 points. That's a considerable investment for thirty flak armoured models. Carapace armour all round could suit your fluff, but it's even more expensive, and even then they won't be as durable as you might like.

From a gameplay point of view I think such a sizeable allocation of points for such a fragile unit is a bad move...but it'll look brilliant on the table and so very daunting for any infantry unit in their path. Plus, the less competetive your list (when you know it is so), the sweeter your victory.

Thirty Rough Riders is - truth be told - something very few people do. I think this is possibly because of the reputation Rough Riders have as 'smart bombs', same as deep striking special weapon squads. They're something that you take with a specific target in mind, but you're proposing taking them as the spearhead of your army and I think that'll make for something very different. Sounds great to me!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2008, 18:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
All told, your proposed Rough Rider contingent is likely to cost in the region of 380 points. That's a considerable investment for thirty flak armoured models. Carapace armour all round could suit your fluff, but it's even more expensive, and even then they won't be as durable as you might like.

From a gameplay point of view I think such a sizeable allocation of points for such a fragile unit is a bad move...but it'll look brilliant on the table and so very daunting for any infantry unit in their path. Plus, the less competetive your list (when you know it is so), the sweeter your victory.

Thirty Rough Riders is - truth be told - something very few people do. I think this is possibly because of the reputation Rough Riders have as 'smart bombs', same as deep striking special weapon squads. They're something that you take with a specific target in mind, but you're proposing taking them as the spearhead of your army and I think that'll make for something very different. Sounds great to me!
Well, not as a spearhead to be fair. They wouldn't do the Lord of the Rings style charge right in en masse. They'd be flankers, and aim to role up the flanks of the enemy. But if things come down to it, then yes a massive assault to push back the enemy would be useful.

Only the HSO would have carapace, everyone else is standard. So besides the HSO, 30 X 4+4 = 240 points, without upgrades. This could work alongside either mounted veterans or an armoured fist on the other flank in a pincer move, while the infantry either advance or stay back and shoot to hold the line.

This should be similar to the "Worst of Guard comes in third in a tournament" thing I saw a while ago, to be honest. Using what other people do not, so that people do not know how to counter me. If the enemy is confused, that only helps me, right?
Old 06 Jul 2008, 23:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Gecko is back!
Only the HSO would have carapace, everyone else is standard. So besides the HSO, 30 X 4+4 = 240 points, without upgrades.
Come on now, you can't just discount the upgrades and the cost of the HSO as though they were nothing. You said you want them to be armed with a mix of shotguns and Meltaguns, perhaps with one squad carrying lances. The shotguns are free but the meltaguns will cost 60 points and the lances 24, so there's 84 points right there. The veteran Sergeant with Honorifica and Carapace armour will cost a further 36 points, and that's assuming you don't want to arm him with a power sword as depicted in the image you showed us (or a plasma pistol or whatever). Then there's the die-hards upgrade for all three units, and that's another 15 points. So adding it all up, these minor upgrade costs you have so flippantly disregarded total up to 135 points!

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea, but I figure you're asking for an analysis of its competetiveness. That's my assessment - The proposed rough rider contingent is probably going to get cut to ribbons more often than it makes its points back, but that'll make successful charges just that little bit more glorious.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 00:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey, as I said, I don't mind losing, so long as it isn't an utter slaughter. I have an image of these units hiding behind LOS blocking terrain, and charging out at the sides before the attacking force can hit the main infantry lines.

That is true about the ugrades, but this list will probably be used in 2000+ games, otherwise will either have the units scaled down or just one unit omited from the list.

It'll redefine death or glory, no?