Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Plasma Cannons
Old 06 Jul 2008, 16:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA
Default Plasma Cannons

Is it just me or did the plasma cannons on the Demolisher get a whole lot more badass in 5'th ed. They don't miss, they scatter, and the hit like flamer templates (partials are hits). Now they will go from just looking cool on my Demolisher to actualy being used (a lot).

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 04:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Plasma Cannons

Plasma in general improved. It overheats on a 1 only, for improved rapid fire survivability, and dropping all templates on the most populated spot, and rolling that many hits * number of templates = giant pile of bodies.

My 4x plasma dev squads are gonna be a lot more unpopular...

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 05:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

yea my oblits just scored a big power increase with them.

But alas, plas cannons on the russ will still only get used when your cannon gets destroyed.
Old 07 Jul 2008, 12:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, you will probably only get one round of shooting with those plasma cannons, since your demolisher cannon only has 12 less range, and it has the massive pie plate of doom.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 20:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Tyndmyr, I don't think that's how plasma cannons work in 5th. I'll check the 5th rulebook. I'm pretty sure you role each one's scatter individualy, then add up all the hits.

Yes, plasma cannons are very good. I targeted an eldar war walker, and used the blast to kill the killer space clowns that were right by it, which I wouldn't have been able to hit because of their special rules. 2 hits, 1 scatter of 3 inches, 1 scatter of 0. All 4 shoots hit the war walker. It died to the plasma, I killed all but 1 of the clowns, and then he died from the exploding war walker. Plasma fun.
maniclurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 20:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD

But alas, plas cannons on the russ will still only get used when your cannon gets destroyed.
All depends on what I'm shooting at. The demolisher cannon isn't always the best option.

Like the time I had my russ facing a squad fo spread out orcs, I let them have it with the heavy bolters, not the battlecannon.

with plasma and lascannon you get 3 chances to hit a target, with cannon only one chance.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 21:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfrikA
All depends on what I'm shooting at. The demolisher cannon isn't always the best option.

Like the time I had my russ facing a squad fo spread out orcs, I let them have it with the heavy bolters, not the battlecannon.

with plasma and lascannon you get 3 chances to hit a target, with cannon only one chance.
Do note that JD was referring to the usefulness of Plasma cannons only. Heavy Bolters will remain a viable alternative against certain targets, but I'm not entirely convinced that a couple small blast markers and a single lascannon shot are necessarily better than a single AP2 pieplate. Bear in mind also that under 4th edition rules, firing more than one main weapon is only possible when you're stationary, and getting all three off requires the vehicle to be facing the target directly (and from a reasonable stand off distance). This is not alway feasible.

Maybe the restrictions on moving and shooting will be lifted in 5th, but if not I don't actually expect Plasma Cannons will see much more use on Demolishers than they do now.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 23:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniclurker
Tyndmyr, I don't think that's how plasma cannons work in 5th. I'll check the 5th rulebook. I'm pretty sure you role each one's scatter individualy, then add up all the hits.
It's how templates work in fifth...which yeah, that only applies if they are on the same place/overlap, but hey, a scatter is far superior to the old way of just plain missing.

Quote:
Yes, plasma cannons are very good. I targeted an eldar war walker, and used the blast to kill the killer space clowns that were right by it, which I wouldn't have been able to hit because of their special rules. 2 hits, 1 scatter of 3 inches, 1 scatter of 0. All 4 shoots hit the war walker. It died to the plasma, I killed all but 1 of the clowns, and then he died from the exploding war walker. Plasma fun.
Ah, very nice. I hadn't even contemplated scattering onto stuff thats normally not targettable yet...but nifty. I may deliberately try to lay shots on units close to combat. =)

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 07:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ZOMG does it work. I played daemonhunters tonight, and the guy I played thought it would be funny to hide some inquisitorial storm troopers behind some grey knight termies, to pick up the save. I just targeted his IST, and used the splash to kill both squads. Completely. Oh, and I hit the walker with a whirlwind, before hitting it with the cannons, the other night.

Aside from that, my bike squad took no casualties from a 2 heavy bolters and a psycannon. And then one died to a fething laspistol. A LASPISTOL!!!! I was pissed.

Well, I returned the favor, and killed his grandmaster with a storm bolter on an immobilized rhino. Take that, ****er. As to date, I've killed 2 termies, 1 grandmaster, 1 chaplain, 2 death company, 3 rhinos, and a chimera with the storm bolter mounted on a rhino. I think I'm gonna start buying the pintle-mount. This seems to be the deadliest weapon in my arsenal...

When he deepstruck his termies and g-master, he scattered into my whirlwind. He rolled a 4 on the mishap chart. I decided that his termies would benefit from landing in some woods. He didn't roll any ones for dangerous test, so that plan worked against me. If I had dropped them in the open, I would have probably killed them with my other weaps. Instead, he got a better save against my lascannons and plasma guns. Damn. And then my chappy decided not to wound anything when he charged. And my canonness decided she was going to fail her 2++ save to 2 wounds from NFW. Dumb girl. It sucks, because I had also pumped her with +2 strength. She woulda raped those termies if she were allowed to fight.

Vindicares need some sorta unit to stay with them and serve as counter-charge. He didn't kill anything, and I rapid fired him death with a mounted sisters squad.
maniclurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2008, 16:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD

...which you can count on happening most of the time.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote