Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What do you think is the best faction to ally with?
Old 05 Jul 2008, 15:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default What do you think is the best faction to ally with?

Simple thread this time.

One of the guys I know is putting together his own Eldar Empire right now while I'm saving up for that Baneblade legion, and I've been thinking: what do you think is the best combination for teaming up the Guard with?

I mean, if you can account for things fluff-wise and create a good plot, I figured Eldar would be a pretty good match for Imperial Guard, seeing that they can cover each other's weak spots. The Eldar's speed would be able to offset the slow movement of the Guard, and the Guard's ability to take losses and still continue to fight would offset the fragile Eldar units. Any other ideas?
Old 05 Jul 2008, 16:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: What do you think is the best faction to ally with?

The massed legions of the Imperial Guard can't really be counted as an advantage when your army is half-Guard, half-Eldar. Eldar are one of the most expensive races in the game, and you can only take advantage of your army's expendability when your units are cheap. Losing a squad of Guardsmen may be no severe blow when you've got another half-dozen squads spare, but losing a wave serpent full of Wraithguard is crippling no matter how many Guardsmen you've got left.

That said, I do think Eldar are your best choice. Them or mechanised Marines. Dark Eldar would probably work too I suppose, but I've no experience with them and they don't really fit fluff-wise anyway.

Strengths of the Imperial Guard:
  • Lots of ordnance and heavy weapons;
  • Good access to indirect fire weapons;
  • Cheap infantry units (strength in numbers);
  • Great tanks and IFVs.

Weaknesses of the Imperial Guard:
  • Poorly armoured infantry units;
  • Weak in close combat;
  • Poor mobility;

The Eldar list is diverse enough to offer many units that compensate for the Imperial Guard's weaknesses. Aspect warriors are perfect for filling in specific gaps. They're a great choice.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jul 2008, 16:39   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sorry, I didn't mean to make *my own* army half guard, I meant I'd play on a team, with my pal fielding his army of Eldar while I field an Armoured Battlegroup.

Because my strengths as an Armoured Battlegroup would lie in those STR8 AP3 and STR10 AP2 pie plates I'd be dropping all over the battlefield I wouldn't want to compromise that by trying to make my army a jack-of-all-trades-but-master-of-none.

Old 05 Jul 2008, 16:50   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Tom sums it up pretty good as usual Ya, just had a game today. The real problem is IG's inability to do well in Close Combat. Deep-Striking/Infiltrating CC units will outflank us by attacking our gap in the line and start chewing through and consolidating like there's no tomorrow.

Get some dedicated CC units on your side to fill in the gaps. And ya, Tom i also right about the Eldar. But general dedicated CC units will be a good ally.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jul 2008, 18:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head
Sorry, I didn't mean to make *my own* army half guard, I meant I'd play on a team, with my pal fielding his army of Eldar while I field an Armoured Battlegroup.

Because my strengths as an Armoured Battlegroup would lie in those STR8 AP3 and STR10 AP2 pie plates I'd be dropping all over the battlefield I wouldn't want to compromise that by trying to make my army a jack-of-all-trades-but-master-of-none.
Who commands the armies is irrelevant; the fact remains that a single force comprises equal values of Guard and Eldar. That being so, strength in numbers for the Guard contingent is rendered almost meaningless.

What is relevant however is that you'll be fielding an armoured battlegroup and not a conventional IG force at all! The strength and weakness you cited (expendibility and poor mobility respectively) don't apply to an armoured battlegroup; an army of tanks feels the loss of one of its number, but mobility is no problem. Sure, you may not be able to keep pace with skimmers, but you're still more mobile than a footslogger army.

Given the comparitively small number of infantry models in your combined force, they really need to be pretty durable. You must remember that if you've no infantry models of your own for your opponent's army to shoot at, then your ally is going to have to take it all. He really ought to avoid using 4+ save units if possible as they will be instantly mown down by heavy bolters and the like. The chief strength of an armoured battlegroup is that it renders the enemy's anti-personnel weapons almost completely useless. But joining forces with an infantry army simply refocusses all those weapons (on expensive units no less).

I think - ideally - Space Marines are the better counterpart to an armoured battlegroup.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote