Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Experience with indirect fire... not to include basilisk
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jul 2008, 07:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Experience with indirect fire... not to include basilisk

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with IG's other indirect fire weapons.

Such as...
Griffon
Mortars
etc.
Old 04 Jul 2008, 08:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Experience with indirect fire... not to include basilisk

What do you want to know exactly. Your not elaborating enough.
???
Old 04 Jul 2008, 08:22   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I think he means like the Scatter with 2D6 type of weapons. Thing is: Basilisks have a 36" range limit and the table are play will make have to field TWO Basilisks if I want to be effective but that's beside the point.
Old 04 Jul 2008, 09:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
I think he means like the Scatter with 2D6 type of weapons. Thing is: Basilisks have a 36" range limit and the table are play will make have to field TWO Basilisks if I want to be effective but that's beside the point.
WOW!!! I know I wasn't quite concise about what I wanted, but I thought I was pretty clear about what I didn't want... I really don't want this thread mutating into some crazy basilisk merit convention.

Alright, I will try to explain what I'm looking for.

I would like to know if anyone fields a griffon, how they perform, how widely they are accepted in tournaments, and whether or not there's an update on them from the original IA vol. 1.

I would like to know if anyone makes wide use of mortars, how they perform, different tactics, and how you think they'll do with 5th rules.

I would like to know what exactly a 'heavy mortar battery' is? Where can I get models? Are they useable at all in tourneys?

I only want people who ACTUALLY USE THEM to post. Actual experience is far more valuable to me at this point, I don't want conjecture, I can do that myself.
Old 04 Jul 2008, 09:29   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Oops, sorry but I did say it's beside the point. Anyway, I did have experience with Mortars. Like other people might say, don't use them in Infantry or Command Squads unless you're hiding you want to hide that Command Squad. People might say (and I agree) use them en-massed like in Mortar Support Squad or if you want, Heavy Weapons Platoon.
Old 04 Jul 2008, 09:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Erm.. thanx?

Let me reclarify to anyone else who might post... Overly obvious blanket statements are of no use to me.
Old 04 Jul 2008, 11:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I gave my mortar team a blast yesterday for the first time. They worked pretty well, took down half a fire warrior squad that had just disembarked and put a wound on a battlesuit, then they got shot up by drones and ran away (terrain was not in my favour)

Otherwise they worked pretty well. Next time I might put three teams down and see what happens.

Old 04 Jul 2008, 13:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm no expert on the use of mortars, but I've thrown a team into my army on occasion, just so that they did more than collect dust.

Mortars are excellent anti-horde weapons. They have only average strength of four, and pathetic AP value, but this is sufficient to put a dent in most swarms who have low toughness and armor saves. Mortars also cause pinning, which is a useful tool against swarms who are trying to get into close combat with you. It is rare that a unit fails its pinning check, but in the event that they do you have an enemy unit stranded and unable to move. Tempting target for your infantry units.

Against MEQ, Mortars are a tremendous waste of points, because they cost the same as missile launchers who are much more versatile, being able to fire a powerful krak missile which rips through marines. Mortars will only wound marines on a 4+ and they will always get their godlike armor saves. If you will be facing marines, leave your mortars at home.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Old 04 Jul 2008, 13:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, I find mortars to be quite good, (for soome reason) my scatter rolling seems to be very good, and in 5th ed, they will become better in that the ordinance rules change.

As for Griffons, it depends on what tourni you play, SOme will allow IA rules and models, others won't, But i find that most do.

Heavy mortars work pretty much the same as normal Mortars, Except (as the name suggests) they are heavier, i use these to take out hordes and armies with a realative save, Like tau.

So while they are not as great as other weapons, they do have their uses. But i will say now, Never use them as singular teams, they need to be fired in groups to do any good really!

Hope i helped.
Old 04 Jul 2008, 14:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hehe. You don't really seem to be getting the answers you're looking for here do you, Lurker?

I'm afraid I can give you nothing but theory concerning the use of alternative indirect weapons, but I can answer a couple of your other questions:

Griffons have changed since IA1 - You can find the current rules in IA update 2005 or IA3.

Heavy Mortar batteries are 1-3 mortars taken as a single elites choice for an IG army, or 1-4 for a siege army. They may also be upgraded with Centaur artillery tractors. The rules for heavy mortars and the siege army list can be found in IA5. The models are available from Forge World; they were released as part of the Death Korps of Krieg range.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Closed Thread