Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Want to Start Imperial Guard....Any Ideas?
Old 24 Jun 2008, 22:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Want to Start Imperial Guard....Any Ideas?

I've been thinking to start the Imperial Guard because mostly, they look awesome, an unstoppable force of tanks, and like their background and Warhammer Books about them. But what really made me start to seriously think about getting Imperial Guard was from the PC game Dawn of War. >

And wondering if there was some experienced Imperial Guard players out there to give me some suggestions and if there might be some other good options then buying a BattleForce to start up with, important things to look out for, what to get, good army set ups.

Oh, I really like the Imperial Guard snipers.Can you pull off an army with a large army of tanks and about 3 to 6 squads of three guys each of snipers for your ground troops.

feel free to comment

Old 24 Jun 2008, 22:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Want to Start Imperial Guard....Any Ideas?

Ah, so we have another treadhead among us.

I really can't think of a better place to start than the Cadian battleforce. You get a couple of infantry squads, some heavy weapons, and one of those tanks that you want.

If you wan't tons of tanks, you have 3 heavy support slots and 3 fast attack slots that you can stick tanks into, and the chimera transport also qualifies as a tank. Yes, you can cram quite a few tanks into your IG army.

As for snipers, you can take the ratling snipers who pack quite a punch, or you can take the regular guard snipers, in which case you may field two 6 man special weapons squads with three snipers in each squad.

Hope that helps

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 22:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

As with any army, if you want to take vehicles you should be sure to take at least three. If you take just one, it'll be subject to the full measure of your opponent's anti-tank fire as he will have nothing else of worth for those weapons to fire at. It will have the life expectancy of an egg in a tumble-dryer.

The same is true for small pockets of infantry in vehicle-based armies, and often to a greater extent as anti-personnel weapons are far more commonplace in most armies than anti-tank. When you field three Demolishers and a smattering of Hellhounds and Chimeras, your handful of men will have to endure almost the full weight of bolter fire or whatever. And that can't even be realistically expected of power armoured marines.

In terms of force organisation, what you're suggesting is also impossible; you can't take three-man squads. The main way one can field snipers in small units from Codex: Imperial Guard is to take two six-man special weapon squads, but even then you've got to take a command squad and fill your troop slots. If you really want to keep boots on the ground to a bare minimum, you could manipulate a squad of last-chancers to your purposes. As said, Ratling snipers are also an option, but they're an elites choice.

If tanks are your thing, I suggest you download Codex: Armoured company from Games Workshop and see if that takes your fancy. Mixing snipers and tanks is not really possible to be honest, not without making some compromises.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 23:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yeah as tom said it's not really posible.

the closest you could get would be hq, 2 troop choices, 3 squads of ratlings, 3 tanks from Heavy support, and 3 hellhounds as fast attack.

another option is going mechanised but that expensive in both money and points but you get alot more tanks.

the armored company list tom suggested is probally your best bet for the huge number of tanks(you can fit about 9 tanks in 1500pts) but you'll have to give up the snipers
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2008, 20:27   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
As with any army, if you want to take vehicles you should be sure to take at least three. If you take just one, it'll be subject to the full measure of your opponent's antitank fire as he will have nothing else of worth for those weapons to fire at. It will have the life expectancy of an egg in a tumble-dryer.

The same is true for small pockets of infantry in vehicle-based armies, and often to a greater extent as anti-personnel weapons are far more commonplace in most armies than anti-tank. When you field three Demolishers and a smattering of Hellhounds and Chimeras, your handful of men will have to endure almost the full weight of bolter fire or whatever. And that can't even be realistically expected of power armoured marines.

In terms of force organisation, what you're suggesting is also impossible; you can't take three-man squads. The main way one can field snipers in small units from Codex: Imperial Guard is to take two six-man special weapon squads, but even then you've got to take a command squad and fill your troop slots. If you really want to keep boots on the ground to a bare minimum, you could manipulate a squad of last-chancers to your purposes. As said, Ratling snipers are also an option, but they're an elites choice.

If tanks are your thing, I suggest you download Codex: Armoured company from Games Workshop and see if that takes your fancy. Mixing snipers and tanks is not really possible to be honest, not without making some compromises.
maybe I too Tau based but want all the tanks.
cause I was thinking move the snipers fast around the battle field and out of fire with transport tanks.

But do you think I can pull off an army with a squad with 2 snipers (possibly Ratling) and rest with CADIAN KASRKIN SQUAD units for an elite.
3 Cadian snipers with a couple of other HQ units,3 squads of Tanith Gosts with as many snipers as I could possibly fit in.
With the added tanks.

I'm really trying to pull of a highly mobile, strong Imperial Guard force, that slightly resembles Tau for one army.
But since I've never really played with Imperial Guard on the Table top I don't know how to do that.

Also what do you think about the BaneBlade, is it worth getting.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 21:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic001
maybe I too Tau based but want all the tanks.
cause I was thinking move the snipers fast around the battle field and out of fire with transport tanks.

But do you think I can pull off an army with a squad with 2 snipers (possibly Ratling) and rest with CADIAN KASRKIN SQUAD units for an elite.
3 Cadian snipers with a couple of other HQ units,3 squads of Tanith Gosts with as many snipers as I could possibly fit in.
With the added tanks.

I'm really trying to pull of a highly mobile, strong Imperial Guard force, that slightly resembles Tau for one army.
But since I've never really played with Imperial Guard on the Table top I don't know how to do that.

Also what do you think about the BaneBlade, is it worth getting.
Uh...honestly, bud, I don't say this to insult you, but your post was damn-near unreadable. I don't understand the bulk of it because it was written as though by an eight-year-old.

It seems as though you really have no idea about IG force organisation, so your first buy before you do anything else should be a codex. From that you will be able to see what units comprise which FOC choices and you'll be in a position to actually buy models you'll be able to use. Also note that neither Tanith Ghosts nor Cadian snipers have their own unique unit entries - both are merely models that can be used to represent normal Guardsmen or Snipers.

I get what you want for the army, but even if the FOC restrictions allowed you to do what you wanted, it still wouldn't work in the context of a normal game of 40k. Sniper rifles are heavy weapons, which severely impacts their mobility. Even if they were assault weapons, loading them into transports and moving them away from the action so they can shoot in peace is just not possible. For one, it is beyond the scope of a six turn game if they are to have any battlefield value, and secondly, there is nowhere on a 6' X 4' table that is really out of harm's way.

Regarding the Baneblade: In an Apocalypse game it is a deeply overpowered unit that is greatly underpriced for the sheer killy firepower it can lay down. In a normal game of 40k however (where one would be expected to stick to the Imperial Armour rules) it is a giant points sink that can do nothing several tanks can't do better. This shouldn't influence your decision about getting one of course, because it is the sort of vehicle you buy for the sheer joy of the model itself, whether you mean to use it or not (unless you're talking about the ghastly cheap plastic rolling cathedral knock-off GW pushed with the apocalypse release).

By the sounds of things you like the Tau way of doing battle but prefer the IG model range? Perhaps then you might consider using IG models to represent a Tau army? It would be a remarkable feat of creative genius if you could convert every model to represent a Tau unit, but you will likely have to make some compromises. Obviously, you can't make up rules for your army and still call it a 'counts-as' army, but there's nothing stopping you from volunarily dropping certain beneficial rules in favour of better suiting the model. One major for-instance would be in regards to the tanks: If you wanted to field Leman Russes with converted weapons to represent Hammerheads, you'd probably have to drop the skimmer rule (or else move them as though they were not skimmers) otherwise the vehicles simply wouldn't behave the way they should on the tabletop. You could counter this to an extent by customising them in such a way as to represent super-charged engines or lightweight armour (or both). Perhaps you might consider combining Chimera and Leman Russ hulls to make a unique vehicle? At any rate, you get the idea. Just remember that no model is inextricably tied to a specific unit entry, and can be used to represent any unit at all so long as you convert it accordingly. Obviously, using a Termagant to represent a Land Raider might be hard to pull off...but there's no reason a Kasrkin trooper can't be used to represent a Fire Warrior. Get the idea?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 15:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think you can do this. I don't have the Codex in front of me... I think this would be around 1500-2000 points.

HQ:
Command Squad in a Chimera Transport

2 Special Weapons Teams with Snipers

Elites:
3x Ratling Snipers

Troops:
3x Grenadiers (Stormtroopers) in Chimera Transports

Fast Attack:
3x Hellhounds

Heavy Support:
3x Leman Russ

That would give you 10 tanks.

By The Way:
If you want to make an all Human "Tau" army like Tom suggested I can give you tips on how to convert them.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 15:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursivecoin
I think you can do this. I don't have the Codex in front of me... I think this would be around 2000 points.

HQ:
Command Squad in a Chimera Transport

2 Special Weapons Teams with Snipers

Elites:
3x Ratling Snipers

Troops:
3x Grenadiers (Stormtroopers) in Chimera Transports

Fast Attack:
3x Hellhounds

Heavy Support:
3x Leman Russ
sorry, ratling squads are 0-1
Old 27 Jun 2008, 00:19   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursivecoin

By The Way:
If you want to make an all Human "Tau" army like Tom suggested I can give you tips on how to convert them.
Defiantly
Do you have any pics of converted Tau?

I had some extra pieces of Tau and Eldar, so I mixed them.
Worked out....OK. Had to do a lot to just have it look the way it did and the pics I took were from my phone so I doubt you'll see a whole lot.

minutes after I glued it together

Old 27 Jun 2008, 06:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I will try to take a pic of one of my human models. I cut the boots off Cadian IG and added them and human heads to Firewarrior Models. Then I added just a little green stuff to the trigger hand to make a fourth finger. (On the off hand it is not as noticeable that there are only 3 fingers, but you could add green stuff to that hand too.)

The rest of these I have not done. They are just ideas:

Add SM legs to Stealth suits
-or-
SM legs, IG torso, Stealth Suit arms/shoulderpads/jetpack and IG head (The Forgeworld Elysian heads would be really cool.)

Crisis Suit:
Start with SM Terminator legs, then cut out a small disc of plasticard and glue it between the legs and the torso of a regular SM. This disk lengthens the torso some to match the larger legs (I have seen this done for a SM commander conversion.) Use green stuff to cover the eagle on the chest and add a Tau symbol to the chest (you can sculpt this from the green stuff or use the Tau symbol off the back pack of the old XV15 Stealth Suit.) Use the Arms and Weapons of a Crisis Suit. Use SM or Stealth suit (the XV25's b/c they are bigger) jump jet. Then use a Tau Targetlock and antennae to build the head.

I am also thinking you could convert an IG Sentinal with Railguns to be Broadsides.

If you want a Tank heavy army then you won't need to build a lot of these conversions. But these should be enough to make a human army supplied and trained by the Tau. This is not too big of a fluff stretch.

I will try to add some pics of the conversions I have done.