Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What is the best way to build an IG Drop Troop Armies?
Old 23 Jun 2008, 02:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default What is the best way to build an IG Drop Troop Armies?

My wife wants to start playing 40k.

She wants to play an IG- Drop Troops army.

Does anyone have any tipps on how to build a hard hitting all Drop Troop army?

Fixed the title for you - Rezzy
Old 23 Jun 2008, 02:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: What is the best way to build an IG Drop Trop Armies?

Go check out the Elysians in IA 3: Taros.

While the models are expenise, the rules are rock hard. Im sure most people would be fine with your wife using the standard cadian models with the Elysian rules.

But about the game play and tactics:

You want versatility. Each unit should have a purpose, but be specified. One thing I love is the "Auxillia krak grenade launcher" It's basically a one shot krak grenade launcher attached to a lasgun, and gives you one more shot in those dire situations. Also, each squad can have a demolition charge, so take as many as you (she) can, since they can rip apart infantry and destroy many a vehicle.

So you get 1 (Or maybe 2.., my memory is weak.) special weapons, plus a demo charge, plus a single auxillia krak grenade may be expensive points wise, but it really gives versatility to a unit.

If your wife uses drop sentinels, tell her this: Go big, or go home. Same can be applied to Tarantula deep striking turrets.

With AV 10 all around for both of those mentioned, having one or two just won't be enough and they will be wiped out. Horde them, and you should do fine.

Does she have any specific questions for me to answer?
Old 23 Jun 2008, 02:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Gecko is back!
Go check out the Elysians in IA 3: Taros.

Does she have any specific questions for me to answer?
Yeah where can I get the IA 3, without paying $140.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 11:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursivecoin
Yeah where can I get the IA 3, without paying $140.
It's 55 to be fair, so I guess that makes it about $30 cheaper than you thought. Still damned expensive though, so you might try Ebay, or you could get IA4 - The Anphelion project for $63? It's got the Elysian D-99 list in there. D-99 are much like the standard Elysian drop troop list, but they're slightly more 'elite' with a couple different twists.

That said, Elysian lists are damned hard to play effectively. Bottom line is, they've got no tanks nor a great variety of infantry-borne heavy weapons, so their hard-hitting capacity comes in the form of aircraft or short-range special weapons. That makes the troops extremely vulnerable.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2008, 12:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Look, if you want her to go play with you, and she wants IG drop troops, you just have to consider how you can get the maximum number of squads in play with the maximum amount of Str4+ firepower at one time. You have only one set of viable options:

Max sentinels in HQ and in the fast attack sections, so you're looking at about 12 total.
Take veterans with meltas and plasmas.
Take special weapons squads with demo, plasma, meltas.
heavy weapons squads in heavy slots.
You're talking around 80 to 120 figures

Personally, I chose to make my drop army a Schaeffer army with 20 last chancers using 5 flamers, 5 meltas, 5 demo charges, and 5 plasmas. In addition, I run a platoon of 3 or 4 squads of normal troops with missile launchers, sentinels, and doctrines harden veterans, iron dicipline, drop troops and sharp shooter.

An all drop army begins at a disadvantage because you don't have any heavy weapons stationary, you can't predict when what squad will drop in or where. However, no two games are the same, and you will feel the thrill of victory or the agnoy of defeat I promise you. ;D
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2008, 12:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Used effectively a drop troops army can be devestating, as Wanax has said, spam those special weapons as best you can, but your wife should be prepared to see her army crumble half of the time.

The new Deep Strike rules in 5th edition will be a boon...

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2008, 15:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: What is the best way to build an IG Drop Troop Armies?

Thanks for the imput guys. Here are a few more questions.

Does IA 4 have the New Tau Crisis suits? That is why I was wanting the IA 3; to get those as well as the Elysians.

Is the "Carapace" doctrine worth taking?

And,
Do sentinels benifit from the "Sharp Shooting" doctrine? (I can't remember.)

Old 23 Jun 2008, 15:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
I certainly think so the added survivablity is great against marines... well against everything because almost everything has a basic weapon that will tear through standard flak. I'll say it's expensive though but it hasn't stopped me from still having around 100 models in my army(and I use hardened fighters too.)

as said before spam special weapons, and adding carapace lets you get in a lot more shots(because you have a 50% chance of surviving most weapons rather than none)

but as said before it's an expensive doctrine. I think it's worth it but keep in mind you will probally be droping around 2-3 squad for it.

Quote:
I don't beleave so. I think the only doctrines that affect sentinals is hardened fighters and drop troops.

but if she plays drop troops you can get around it. Just take heavy flamer sentinals. If you drop them they will have a good chance of landing close enough to actually use the weapon(if you don't deep strike almost all other configs work better) and you auto hit.

as an add on sentinals, it you play drop troops it's a good idea to give the sentinals improved comms. They don't have to be on the table to get the reroll and it gives you a big advantage. If a drop troop army comes in piecemeal they will die, with the rerolls you have a much better chance of getting your troops when you want them and all at one time. When your entire army lands right in your face it's hard to handle all those men, not to mention the psycological effects.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2008, 16:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Thanks for the imput guys. Here are a few more questions.

Does IA 4 have the New Tau Crisis suits? That is why I was wanting the IA 3; to get those as well as the Elysians.

And,
IA3 is the book that focuses on the Tau, but there's nothing new about the Crisis suits as far as I am aware...the book just features the Forge World models a little bit. Before you go forking out for IA3 though, I should warn you that the proof-readers really phoned it in. The entire book is marred by spelling errors and typos. The Elysian drop troops for example are cited as having 'Iron Disciple'. But despite the piss-poor editorial quality, the content is great. Overall it's a really fantastic book, second in my mind only to IA1.

In regards to Carapace...well to be honest it's one of those upgrades that you have to take across the board, and in an infantry based army, that's gonna get very expensive. Carapace armour dramatically improves survivability in the face of most small arms and in close combat, but against most heavy weapons it's completely worthless. All in all, despite the inevitable proximity of Drop troopers to the enemy, I think carapace armour is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage, and all it really boils down to is whether it suits the fluff of the regiment (which should really be the guiding light of all doctrine selections truth be told). Does your wife want airborne light infantry to follow a sort of band of brothers theme, or does she want high-tech aerial assault Storm Troopers?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2008, 16:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

for drop armies you are going to want maximum troop density so that you can max the number of special weapons shooting when they come in. Carapace will cut about 1/3 of your force size and only give you a save against bolters. To be honest, if you are standing 12" away from many SM units, it doesn't matter since you will be in CC in their next turn.

You might consider it if you are also taking close order drill, since in such an instance you might survive both initiall shooting and the first round of CC.

Myself I prefer more men than more equipment.

And, of course, don't forget that doctrines are "rumored" to be going away in the codex update.

Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote