Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some questions about the distribution of units in the guard
Old 22 Jun 2008, 21:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Some questions about the distribution of units in the guard

Hey everyone, I was paging through IA5 last night looking in on things for a series of 3 page stories im going on the Seige of Vraks and i noticed some odd stuff.

On page 31, there is a Gorgon from the 7th Tank regiment, attached to the 143rd regiment. I thought that this was kind of odd because the gorgon is an infantry transport. Granted its been attached to an infantry regiment, but why bother assigning such a vehicle to an armored regiment in the first place. Does anyone know if tank regiments have infantry compliments large enough to justify such a vehicle. Im not an Armored Company buff so im not shure. In fluff ive written, infantry have alwayse been in seperate regiments than tanks, am i wrong to do so?

I was also wondering how you justify the tanks in your army, are your regiments simply combined arms, or is it like mine, where there are tank regiments and infantry regiments opperating in the same area.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2008, 22:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Some questions about the distribution of units in the guard

I think tanks would be pretty vulnerable without allied infantrymen there to keep enemy infantry away from them. (Keep away those with meltabombs, krak grenades...)

If an armoured regiment is making a push forward, it's safe to assume Gorgons would be there to allow large bodies of infantry to keep up with their armoured counterparts.

Chimeras are relatively fragile, and can't hold enough infantry to be effective in helping the tanks.

That's my take on it anyhow.

Individual squadrons of tanks may be attached to formations of infantry to support them - to answer your second query.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 00:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm writing a full on manual for my forces on how this works, it deals with Praetorian Expeditionary forces, I'll put it on the web when is done.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 01:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

That does seem odd. Gorgons are very much purpose-specific vehicles, not workhorse transports at all. I disagree with Krez on this one. Gorgons are neither flexible nor manoeuvrable enough to serve tank regiments as Grenadier transports. The sort of place you might expect to need infantry in close support of tanks is in a city, and Gorgons just aren't suited for that environment. What'll they do? Disgorge the troops outside the city limits and wait outside all on their own for the city to be cleared? No, Chimeras are the choice IFV for flexible, Quick-Reaction-Force troops of that nature.

I don't know why it's been attached to a tank regiment in that bit of fluff. Seems to be that it just wasn't thought through very well.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2008, 02:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just a thought here, prehaps thats for logistical purposes? The type of maintanence facilites needed for a Gorgon would be more in line with what you'd need for an armoured regiment so prehaps it helped streamline their logistics and paperworkness to make it part of an armoured regiment?
Who knows, army paper pushers do strange things sometimes...
Old 23 Jun 2008, 05:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Your idea about streamlining logistics would make sense if it weren't for the subject regiments being Krieg. A group not known for efficiency, but rather a blatant lack there of.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote