Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thinking about switching to full Death Korps
Old 17 Jun 2008, 21:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Thinking about switching to full Death Korps

Hey everyone,

So a little while ago i was paging through my IA5 and i really want to play a full death korps siege regiment army. So here is my plan, and i dont want "Dude death korps are fracking awsome!!!!" or "You're a fething idiot". I want honest constructive advice and what you think. Image that you're in my place and you're contemplating your dream army whose basic squads happen to cost $68.

So here it is. I sell my 4,500 points on non Krieg guard (i have a command squad, 3 infantry squads, 3 heavy stubbers and 1 las cannon of krieg units), i sell my 2,000 points of Tau, i sell my 5,000 points of LOTR models, i sell about 50 tech deck finger skate boards, i sell about $100 dollars in useless toy tanks i received from my grandparents, and about 100 dollars in OOP Micro Machines.

My goal is 1,000 dollars, which will land me with 2,300 points of Krieg troops. So i'm asking you what you think about this.

Also something to bear in mind is that i'm 16, am i to underfunded for this, even if i get the 1,000? When i go to college is my brother correct in saying that the games are small and im likely to end up with food on my models, and that the destruction of models is commonplace? Will by army case be screaming "STEAL ME"?

I'd also like to here from people more experienced with EBAY. Is it to much hassle? Is 1,000 dollars and obscenely high figure for the meager earnings of EBAY?

Your advice is appreciated.

Beowulf
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 23:22   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Thinking about switching to full Death Korps

While I personally love the Death Korps, even I am not insane enough to build a whole army of them. I do have a few squads and I have spent a lot of money at Forgeworld, but I mainly go for tanks.

There have been rumors that one thing that will be coming eventually will be greatcoat guard plastics. If I had to suggest a course of action, I would say to cross your fingers for that to come out, or get good at greenstuff conversions. Another alternate would be to possibly go with Steel Legion since they mix well with Krieg.

Going to college however, I would be extremely careful about that, especially in dorm rooms. Resin models are extremely fragile and can and often will shatter if they take a strong hit. Someone dropping a book on them or close enough to knock them off the table could be tragic. Also, the very fact that you are spending so much on each squad, really demands that you give them an amazing looking paint job to do them justice. Which in turn will increase the possibility of them getting swiped too.

In your 4500 points of guard, you should be able to salvage any tanks and repaint them in the krieg color of your choice.
Norsehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2008, 00:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Also, if you don't mind having squads of your Krieg Guardsmen looking like they are standing at ease, buying a few Gorgon Infantry Squads instead of getting the unique squads which cost $68 each, you will get 5 squads for only slightly more. The only thing you will need to do is cut them apart and then do small green stuff additions to replace the parts that would get the chop. Not a bad deal if you think about it. Instead of 10 Death Korps Guardsmen, you get 50 for about $12 more. We all know that Forge World has some pretty shady business practices (poor quality controll, astronomical prices compared to other game systems they make models for, and the list goes on). Also, Chimeras can be changed into Trojans or Hellhounds, Basilisks can be cannibalized to make ground mounted Earthshakers as well as Hellhounds, and you can simply keep the heavy weapon platforms you already own, so there is no need to get rid of all of your Guard forces. Lemans can be modified to become Centaur artillery tractors and Thunderer Siege tanks with a minimum of effort, so there is no reason to buy the overpriced ones from Forge World. Hope this advice helps keep the cost to a minimum.
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2008, 01:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortargrunt06
Also, if you don't mind having squads of your Krieg Guardsmen looking like they are standing at ease, buying a few Gorgon Infantry Squads instead of getting the unique squads which cost $68 each, you will get 5 squads for only slightly more. The only thing you will need to do is cut them apart and then do small green stuff additions to replace the parts that would get the chop. Not a bad deal if you think about it. Instead of 10 Death Korps Guardsmen, you get 50 for about $12 more.
Sorry, bud, I know your heart's in the right place but this is honestly a terrible idea. Those few models that come away in an acceptable condition will just look utterly crap on the tabletop. A massive legion of Imperial troops just standing around nonchalantly on the battlefield will just look wrong.

Beowulf, I did over 800 ($1600) down Elysian drop troops in a moment of madness and I really wouldn't recommend it in your current position. Such a sizeable investment in a hobby is something best saved for when you're in a high paying job and you're financially secure. I didn't end up in trouble after my wild expenditure as I had considerable savings at the time, but I do rather wish I hadn't blown all that money. Just think, what will your parents think if you do something so unwise? I challenge you to include your parents in this decision; describe it as best you can, show them the website and get their take on it. They're not just killjoys that want to stamp on your fun. They may have no idea about the hobby, but they do know a thing or two about managing finances responsibly, and they'll condemn this idea in a heartbeat. Honestly, it really is the wrong time for you.

Also bear in mind that your calculations are massively off the mark. Even if you bought only infantry squads, $1000 would amass little more than 1100 points. I recommend building your shopping list on the website just to see how much more expensive it is than you thought.

Another thing to consider is the sheer weight of miniatures you'll have to paint. A $1000 infantry-based siege regiment can number up to 150 near-identical models. How many can you get through before you're utterly sick of them? I don't know how alike you and I are, but in about fourteen months I've got through only one Valkyrie, one Vulture and twenty-six infantrymen. I don't know what Death Korps are like, but Elysians are horrible to assemble; Vultures and Valkyries even worse.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2008, 05:13   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Tom replies with the best post yet.
I agree it would be better to simply wait until you have access to the funds needed for this. It's an expensive purchase for you, based on what you said it would take to get the money together.
Burke888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2008, 09:49   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

My opinion for what its worth is that:
a) you have under estimated the cost (as was pointed out in a previous post)
b) how much time do you have to paint and play? this will get swallowed at college (work and parties)
c) why not use steel legion until money is not so tight and then replace one squad at a time

just some thoughts, i agree that a whole army would look great. before i went to college i bought 6 Valkyries and 2 vultures to make a drop troop army before the Elesians (used Kaserkin) i have converted the command figures and built 1 vulture. just some handy advice.

Jon
ciaphas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2008, 13:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Has anyone asked. Do you have a part time job?

Thats very important to know first of all.
That Phyco Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2008, 18:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

In Response to Tom: My parents will absolutly be included in the decision. They're really active in my life and i dont do a whole lot without their knowing it. Theyll probably shoot this down, they did with my brothers Fully OOP Dogs of War army when he was my age. They also know alot about the hoby and what is going on. When the Gorgon first came out and i asked if i could get one my mom said no because she had recieved the newsletter and seen how expensive it was.(Turns out she had already ordered it for christmass.)

Also in responce to everyone telling me i wouldnt have enough money. here is the purchase list i made

1 Quarter master and retinue: $50
5 Las-cannon teams: $140
Quad launcher battery: $150
2 grenadier squads: $136
2 infantry squads: $204
2 platoon command squads: $80
1 Earthshaker platfrom (non-krieg variant) $62
1 Heavy Artillery Crew: $30
2 Leman Russ: $80
1 Leman Russ Annihilator turret: $24

Adding up to $956, thus leaving room for shipping costs and slight mis-calculation of pounds to dollars. I used a 1 pound to 2 dollars conversion, not exact but pretty close.

The units in the army list that i already have are:

1 Regimental command squad
3 stubber teams
1 las cannon
3 infantry squads
1 hellhound
and if you count super heavies then a Baneblade and a Gorgon

So unless i am truly dismal at math or the is some kind of magic warp buble around my computor and making the prices half of what they really are. Im pretty shure im correct.

In response to mortargrunt06, i had considered that. But it if Tom knows about what he's talking about, (which is usually the case) then that wont turn out to well. Im also really not at all good with green stuff, and gun-strap here and there is about as advanced as i get, and even then it turns out awfully.

In response to ciaphas, I predominant reason im into 40k is building models. The game is a fantastic side affect, and painting is a chore (i've decided to start painting one model a day to begin getting better at painting so that by army can look decent) If i start using Steel Legion, then i loose alot of modeling in the infantry. Putting a guy on his base and clipping flas is not tricky.

To Phyco Guy, I dont have a job. Im not allowed to during school because of the potential grade drops, and every summer and spend a month (conveniantly placed in the middle) studying at a college somewhere in the world, this summer will be england, and in addition i do a great deal of prolonged backpacking during the summer. none of this stuff points to a good long term employee, more one thats gonna disapear every couple of weeks and then come back for a week and leave again. I do work at the welding distributorship that my parents own, since i can work for a week and then disapear and theres no problem. But that deosnt happen to much since i have so much to do.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. the money saving plans and honest appraisal of the situation is greatly appreciated.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 01:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
...unless i am truly dismal at math or the is some kind of magic warp buble around my computor and making the prices half of what they really are. Im pretty shure im correct.
My apologies. I mis-read your original post; I thought you were listing some of the non-krieg models you had to sell...not the Krieg units you already own. But even so, they amount to little more than 450 points on their own, so even if I'd accounted for them, you'd still be a fair way shy of 2300.

You might have mentioned the two super heavies and Hellhound though. They make up this list to the approximate value of 2900 points!

Anyway, here is your shopping list. Good news - it's almost $100 cheaper than you thought and shipping is free for an order of this size (I still think it's the wrong time for you though):

When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 03:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Just an FYI, you'll take a huge price hit selling stuff on ebay, once shipping is said and done.

I suggest playing your normal armies...sure sell off the stuff you'll never, ever want to play again, but dont get carried away, and either save up and buy it all in one lot, or if youve got a bunker nearby, have them order you squads to save on shipping.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote