Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why did you choose Guard?
Old 16 Jun 2008, 03:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Why did you choose Guard?

I was just wondering what made some of the players here on TauOnline decide to start playing the imperial guard. As well as what is your inspiration; movies, games, books, etc.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 03:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Why did you choose Guard?

I choose guard because I wanted a non-fanboy imperial force that everyone critises (flashlights being the most common) and whoops the after there done with there trash talk. You got to admit, guard books are more awesome because they always seem like their going down but keep fighting and eventually win the war when you compare it to a marines book like this
"The marine ran naked threw a field with a gun but stepped on a mine which had the power of a nuclear bomb, he only scratched his foot, he made it to the trench line and shoot everyone with his eyes close and killed them all the sat on the sergeant killing the traitor instanly, thanks to that marines heroics, the war was one"
Not much of a thrill there, you could tell from the first page that the war was won, guard books are much more diffrent and better, thats my main inspiration.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 04:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Because they're one of the more "realistic" armies out there, if you get my drift. That, and they're extreme customization. You can make armies and use tactics that resemble paratroopers, WW1 soldiers or even modern troops.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 04:27   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

- Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War: Winter Assault
- Gaunt's Ghost
- Ciaphas Cain
- Fifteen Hours
- Imperial Guard Youtube videos

These give me the inspiration to start Imperial Guard. Furthermore, i can make up my own regiment, my own world, so many uniform within the Imperial Guard etc. Also, the 'average human going up against demons, aliens and monsters as well as hell' story.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 09:45   #5 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

How I started:
Well I wanted a second army with Tau being my first (one that would logically fight Tau often). But that was to be sometime in the future. I started with a box of Cadians (still my only IG models so far due to a massive backlog) which I planned to turn into Gue'vesa. But I fell in love with the models, they were just so much easier/more enjoyable to paint than my Tau.

However the main reason I like them is their humanity. One can connect with the individual soldiers of the Imperial Guard far more than any other force. I mean SM's are just about alien, and as much as I admire the Tau and their ideals, they're still alien in the end and still think differently to me. IG was an army that I could make my own, creating background, personality and an affiliation with my troops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 11:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well I started Guard after the glory of the Blood Angels faded away. I realized that painting your armor red and charging somebody with a sword is simply...stupid.

The Guard seemed like a much more plausible force for the year 40000 because they didn't paint their armor ridiculous colors, and they preferred to use firearms over swords.

After reading up on the fluff, It also came to me that these guys are alot more courageous than the space marines. They are just regular guys with flak armor and lasguns who go up against the same opponents that the god like space marines do, and win.

It also helps that the Guard are just human. I remember reading somewhere that the blood angels eat the flesh of their enemies, and I was like "what the ****? and these are the good guys?" The Guard are just men fighting for their homes and families, and of course, for the immortal emperor.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 12:39   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm a loyal treadhead and tank lover. I love big, shooty, mean tanks and when I saw the Baneblade my reaction was "Love at first sight."

Hell, it's now my dream to build a working Baneblade, so ha!
Old 16 Jun 2008, 12:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

It was the Imperial Armour books and the IG collectors guide for me. Imperial Armour 1 first stirred my passion for tanks, but I honestly didn't like the way Leman Russes looked. Then I flicked through the IG collector's guide and saw for the first time the 'King Russ' command tank of the Screaming Eagles. It was a double-tracked beast with a Ryza pattern turret and I fell instantly in love. I thought "Leman Russes with double-width tracks look wicked" and I had to start an Armoured Battlegroup. Two Chimeras, eight Russ variants (all double tracked) and one Baneblade later, I felt it was complete and wanted something else.

That something else was Elysian drop troops. I'd seen them before in IA3, but I think it was the advent of IA4 that rekindled something. Elysians are a pain in the ass to build though, Valkyries and Vultures even more so.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 15:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I used to be a mortarman in the U.S Army, so all of the indirect fire assets of the IG appealed to me. When I read Imperial Armour 5 with all of the heavy mortars and artillery guns and the like, I realized that I could really show my eccentric side playing an army filled up with mortars.
(big guns blow stuff up. Me Likes! >)
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 16:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortargrunt06
I used to be a mortarman in the U.S Army, so all of the indirect fire assets of the IG appealed to me. When I read Imperial Armour 5 with all of the heavy mortars and artillery guns and the like, I realized that I could really show my eccentric side playing an army filled up with mortars.
(big guns blow stuff up. Me Likes! >)
Hehe. I used to be in a gun battery, and yet I've not got a single true indirect weapon in my entire IG collection. I keep telling myself I'll make a Basilisk battery one day and model it on my old regiment, but I think it's just one of those 'one day' projects that will never come to fruition.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote