Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why did you choose Guard?
Old 16 Jun 2008, 16:09   #11 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Why did you choose Guard?

I start IG as a way to get long range weaponry for my Inquisitorial armies and ended up with an entire army of IG ;D
Old 16 Jun 2008, 23:09   #12 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

... I chose Guard because i figured out I could paint more models with a guard box than any other army... Yeah, I got into the hobby because I liked painting models *sigh*
Malbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 23:17   #13 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallessian
Well I started Guard after the glory of the Blood Angels faded away.
Similar story here except with Black Templars instead of Blood Angels. I started out with marines like many new players do because I liked the way they looked and because the learning curve on marines is not very steep. I painted them as Templars because I liked the color scheme (this was 10 years ago, long before I knew they even had special rules). One of the friends that started playing along with me played Guard. Although I got tired of beating him even after making serious mistakes, I came to dread having to look down the barrel of that Battle Cannon.

More recently, my Templars evolved to the point where I could consider the army complete. I'd mastered all of the skills necessary to at least give a skilled opponent a run for his money with these close combat oriented zealots and was ready to move on to a new army. There really wasn't much choice involved.

I chose Guard because I really like the less-than-superman stats and play style. If you manage to pull down an enemy's most awesome centerpiece model with a squad of guardsmen it grants a much greater sense of accomplishment than the usual "Ho Hum, the Emperor's Champion seems to have pwned yet another Farseer." Plus the dizzying array of heavy and special weaponry make the Guard a very customizable force.

The top reason, though, has got to be that tingling sensation that I get when the Leman Russ scatters well and an entire Death Company and attached Chaplain are scoured away in a hail of burning shrapnel.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 00:40   #14 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monochrome Ape
...The top reason, though, has got to be that tingling sensation that I get when the Leman Russ scatters well and an entire Death Company and attached Chaplain are scoured away in a hail of burning shrapnel.
That is a good feeling. I love it when my opponent spaces out his expensive models so I can only get one fully under the template...then it scatters 1" or something and I've suddenly got four of them. >
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 00:52   #15 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Well my dad was in the Marine Corps during Vietnam- although he was a helicopter technician for the Presidential Helicopter Squadron HMX-1, so he never actually went to Vietnam itself... he did test fire the Vulcans when they first mounted them on Hueys though!

In any case, Catachans were a rather obvious choice for me.

I still think they're one of the coolest and most fluffy Imperial Guard armies ever.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 01:10   #16 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monochrome Ape
...The top reason, though, has got to be that tingling sensation that I get when the Leman Russ scatters well and an entire Death Company and attached Chaplain are scoured away in a hail of burning shrapnel.
That is a good feeling. I love it when my opponent spaces out his expensive models so I can only get one fully under the template...then it scatters 1" or something and I've suddenly got four of them. >
yes it feels good. especially when its a command squad with jump packs that adds up to 500 points in a 1000 point game... one shot, 6 kills :P
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 02:44   #17 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to inuyasha1162

honestly? Because my friends were selling theirs for ridiculously cheap and I wanted a new force.

I love them though, could collect all the regiments and then some haha.
There is nothing more fun then staring death in the face and prevailing. With every guardsmen just "for the emperor!" and the commisars "NOT ONE STEP BACKWARDS"

it's just awesome..
inuyasha1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 04:06   #18 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha1162
There is nothing more fun then staring death in the face and prevailing. With every guardsmen just "for the emperor!" and the commisars "NOT ONE STEP BACKWARDS"

it's just awesome..
That is until your Commissar runs away (last man in the squad after losing cc, so no one left to execute, plus I rolled box cars... TWICE! :'() while the 3 remaining guardsmen in a different squad stayed in the cc to eventually kill the last Harlequin *shrugs* "For the Emperor!" indeed. That was the only time where the Commissar was summarily executed by a Sergeant :P. (justification for pulling him off of the table because he couldn't rally)

Plus, there is nothing like getting 2 full units of Howling Banshees to run off the table because of one amazingly awesome scatter on your only indirect fire Basilisk! (why the only vehicles in my opponent's army were Fire Prisms instead of transports for the Banshee squads is beyond me).

I guess another reason is that it is always a fun game when your opponent realizes that no matter how many guardsmen he kills, I will always have more left. The proverbial "tar pit." Nothing quite compares to the expression on their face when they realize that even though they've killed four infantry squads, they only get 260ish victory points from me in a 1500 point game when they end up having 600ish points left on the table at the start of turn 6.
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 11:35   #19 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Haha, I've never heard of that happening before. A sergeant executes a commissar?

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 15:14   #20 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I know, I hadn't either. Its kind of sad really, seeing as though he was 6 inches away from my banner too. But I guess my time was up for the 1 in 1296 chance of doubling up on box cars ;D (I don't have to worry about that one again for a while at least).
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote