Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Krootox as Ogryn? (Gue'vesa Guard)
Old 15 Jun 2008, 21:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Krootox as Ogryn? (Gue'vesa Guard)

Now that I'm almost done with my Kroot army (aside from trying to procure Knarlocs : ) , I'm looking to get back into building a Tau Empire Alliance of Tau, IG as Gue'Vesa, and Kroot Mercenaries.

Now, with the setup of the army I would usually run I have no real use for the 10 Krootox I have procured over the years. Additionally, I like the rules for Ogryn as far as a combat squad goes, but hate the models for them. What I was thinking of is just using my Krootox models as stand-ins for an ogryn squad, with a shaper as the Bone'ead.

What experience do you have with using Ogryn in-game, and how do you think they would fare alongside Tau and Kroot?
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 00:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Krootox as Ogryn? (Gue'vesa Guard)

They're not particularly effective in close combat, and they're utterly useless in the shooting phase, but for your substantial points investment you get a unit that can merrily soak up fire and storm on with belligerent indifference. They're good for tying units up in close combat, but too expensive to make such a role worthwhile.

Personally, I see Ogryns as a bit of a point-sink. They certainly add character to an army though. I love their simple bull-headedness, but I'm not a fan of the models and they don't really fit into what my idea of the Imperial Guard is.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 12:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ogryns are great because of their psychological factor. They aren't really that good in close combat because of their average weapon skill and initiative, but your opponent thinks they are good at close combat, so he will sometimes dedicate one of his units to destroying them, which means less firepower heading towards the troops you need. The best thing about Ogryns is that they can take quite a bit of firepower before going down, so they will keep your opponent busy.

Might I also add, that against a normal Marine tactical squad, they do well since they strike at the same time and have the same WS, but are much stronger and have multiple wounds. Against dedicated assault units though, they will get destroyed.

Or if somebody is mean enough to drop a battle cannon shot on them...

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 13:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallessian
Might I also add, that against a normal Marine tactical squad, they do well since they strike at the same time and have the same WS, but are much stronger and have multiple wounds. Against dedicated assault units though, they will get destroyed.
They don't strike at the same time; Space Marines strike first. I think initiative is often overlooked by people when measuring a unit's close combat worth. If your opponent gets to make twenty or so attacks against you before you get to roll a dice, there's a good chance a large proportion of your models will be missing when it comes to their turn.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 16:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They both have initiative four.

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 16:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ogryns have 3, Marines have 4. Marines will mop the floor with ogryns because of the sheer number of attacks they get by comparison. Back to the topic at hand, if you want to use Krootox to proxy as Ogryns, go right ahead, it goes along with the theme of your army and gives you a use for the Krootox models you have (other than making nice paperweights of course). In my opinion, I would keep them as Krootox since they cost less points wise and have the advantage in the shoot phase. Down side to this would be their lack of armour and 1 less toughness. When all is said and done, use what you want to use, come up with a story to explain it, and no one will have a problem with you playing with them.
As an afterthought, I use High Elf Cavalry with guardsman heads and laspistols to proxy for Rough Riders because I hate the "Mongolian looking" Rough Rider miniatures with respect to the theme of my army. No one complains about it because it matches what would be expected of an army modeled around a USO show. They also think it is funny as heck to have an equestrian troop in an IG army.
Hope this helps, have fun with your new themed army.
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 16:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

*Checks codex*

Son of a bitch, they do have three. My mistake. Nork Deddog has four.