Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help with some IG "Renegades"...
Old 09 Jun 2008, 23:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Help with some IG "Renegades"...

I'm interested in starting an IG army (like you haven't heard that before). However, unlike some of you loyalists out there I'm looking for more of a traitor/chaotic feel to the army specifically using the new forgeworld kits. Is there any advice I could be given on how to start a small (less than 1000 points) IG army, based on renegade/traitor models? I would like it to be competitive, but fluff and creativity comes first. Also, I'd prefer to ignore doctrines and focus on upcoming changes (5th Edition and possibly new guard codex) rather than the current stuff.

I know it's a general question, just looking for some cool ideas you guys might have along with any tactical advice for small IG games.
Old 09 Jun 2008, 23:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Help with some IG "Renegades"...

Well, I've always dreamed of a small Khorne renegade force.

May I suggest....

1 Renegade HQ
1 Renegade Pysker
1 Squad of Renegade Ogryns (models are just too cool)
2 Renegade Squads
1 Sentinel using a Renegade Crew Member (just convert the bitz using those you recieve with the renegade squads)
1 Renegade Leman Russ Vanquisher (new FW Model with Renegade crew bought seperate, treated as a Russ in game terms lest you want to use FW rules)

If your looking for a little extra, a Chimera wouldn't go amiss to cart your HQ around to the closest brawl. But this little lot gives you superb assault, a decent mid range firefight capability, and a little long range punch to keep your opponent's heads down as you surge forwards.

This won't be too expensive, the ogryns and troopers will be pricy, but painted up right they're well worth it, especially in an entire renegade army.

Thoughts?
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 05:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Maybe this is stating the obvious, but if you've no particular aversion to Forge World prices, then a copy of Imperial Armour 5 might be in order; within which you will find the Renegades and Heretics army list (a slightly different flavour of traitor guard).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 11:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, I did have an interest in IA5, BUT I also happen to have a lack of funds for it... :P stupid economy. Other problem I got is that the Forgeworld list wouldn't be allowed in some "official" events which would irk me. According to Anton here: http://www.tauonline.org/Article/327...adeListReview/ the Renegade list is basically normal guardsmen anywho.

With that in mind, I was looking to base my list primarily off of the Guard codex. Thank you for the outline Stankov... when you say troops squads, do you mean entire platoons or just two ten man squads? I'm looking at getting roughly two renegade upgrade packs and maybe an extra goodie or two this weekend. Not sure what yet though.

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it
Old 10 Jun 2008, 17:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I mean just squads of ten men. Make sure you pick up the weapons arms too! Don't expect every renegade and heretic to be packing Cadian issue rifles and shoulderpads!

And, those autoguns are just too cool, along with the other goodies you get.

It's well worth the cost, I think...
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 10 Jun 2008, 19:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm currently looking at a set of arms and torsos, possibly the "extra" set as well. I have enough extra bits to make the additions from the two conversions kit apply across 2 squads rather than one.

I thought that Guardsmen had to be purchased in platoons... and that a minimum of two platoons are necessary for a troops choice...? I'm hoping I'm wrong here but that is what I remember.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 22:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionnach19
I thought that Guardsmen had to be purchased in platoons... and that a minimum of two platoons are necessary for a troops choice...? I'm hoping I'm wrong here but that is what I remember.
You're in the right area, but not spot on. Regular Guard infantry are formed into platoons comprising one command squad and two to five infantry squads. Each platoon is a troops choice, but conventional platoons are not the only troop choices available to an IG army, especially with the application of doctrines.

But seriously, before you go spending all your money on models and upgrade kits (especially given that by your own admission, funds are limited), don't you think you ought to lay your hands on an army list (be it Lost and the Damned, Renegades and Heretics, or Codex: Imperial Guard)? When you can clearly see what you will need to make a legal army and what your options are for expansion, you'll be much better informed when it comes to getting the models themselves. Besides, you'll need one to play anyway, so why not make that your first purchase?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 22:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, my first purchase if I were in your boots would definately be either the Codex or IA. You really need to decide for yourself not only what you need, but what looks cool, different paint schemes, etc.

I say I like the models, but you may see models in the Codex you like much more...

I say buy the Codex, make a list, and then think about purchasing models... you don't want to buy things you don't need first... you'll be better off, I think, buying the Command Squad and two troops choices so you can start playing immediately!

Stankov

Old 10 Jun 2008, 22:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Codex: Witch Hunters has some interesting rules for traitors, mutants, rouge psykers, and apostate cardinals respectively.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 22:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oh yes, I do understand obtaining the rules first. However, IA 5 is too expensive/not useful enough for me. While I own the IG dex, I know very little about how it is played and was looking for advice from people with some experience. LatD is no longer tournament legal and those rules weren't that great (in my opinion) to begin with. I have been toying around with ideas for Inquisition-based forces as well, but figured I would check with the IG people first on the plausibility of using the IG codex for something like this.

Thanks for all the help thus far, though