Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

5th Edition: Rise of the Conscripts?
Closed Thread
Old 27 May 2008, 15:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 5th Edition: Rise of the Conscripts?

Looking over some of the more believable rumours for 5th Edition I notice that many of them will make conscripts way better than they used to be. Rumour by rumour, here is how I see it:

Rumour 1: Blast weapons now always hit but scatter.
Rumour 2: Multiple blast shots act like a barrage.
Rumour 3: No more partial hits, if a model is touched by a template it takes a hit.

Conscripts: A squad of conscripts is no longer limited to flamethrowers with their low BS. 5 grenade launchers make a 50 man unit a threat to both hordes and very light vehicles. A 5 blast barrage is almost the coverage of an ordinance template so if the scatter ends up being 1d6 our grenades will almost always hit the target as partials now hit, no more 4+.

Rumour 3: Troop infantry are only units allowed to capture objectives.

Conscripts: An extra unit that can capture objectives is nice and moving this unit onto objectives means you don't need to send a squad that loses a turn of shooting its heavy weapon when it moves.

Rumour 4: No limit to wounds caused by outnumbering a fearless unit.

Conscripts: There are a substantial number of fearless units in the 40K universe. Conscripts could, in theory, get a 50:1 outnumber and the corresponding 50 wounds. Not likely but 30:1 is not out of the realm of possibility on something like a greater daemon or avatar. That's 30 saves your opponent gets to make on a model that costs more than your whole unit of conscripts plus commissar.

Rumour 5: Units can "run" 1d6 inches in the movement phase instead of shooting.

Conscripts: Normally you would want to be firing your grenade launchers, but against a gunline your opponent will have to recognize the threat of a 50 man unit plus commissar charging into CC with some of his best shooty units. In the past this was not such a threat as it would be turn 3 or 4 before a footslogging unit could reach CC. In 5th Edition our conscripts are suddenly fleet! Alternately you don't need to charge. Just move them to within 12" and take 90 shots plus grenades at whatever unit you want. Then, once your conscripts start dropping to the point where firing is less effective, charge!

Our conscripts just might get a lot better.
Old 27 May 2008, 16:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 5th Edition: Rise of the Conscripts?

Yes, if the rumors are true than these will make conscripts a very effective unit, but there is the possibility that doctrines will be thrown out, meaning no more independant commissars.

And there is the small problem of the conscript horde blocking your infantry's line of sight...

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Old 27 May 2008, 18:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallessian
Yes, if the rumors are true than these will make conscripts a very effective unit, but there is the possibility that doctrines will be thrown out, meaning no more independant commissars.
Removing doctrines would require a major errata to the IG codex and I think GW has stated they do not intend to release any more erratas just FAQs till a new codex comes out (though I can't find a link to this right now). Even if they keep doing erratas removing doctrines would be a much more dramatic change than any errata they have ever released in the past.

Quote:
And there is the small problem of the conscript horde blocking your infantry's line of sight...
Which is why you either put them in front of tanks whose LOS they don't block or hide non-shooting squads behind them to advance with the mobile wall, like a Repentia squad or Grey Knights.
Old 27 May 2008, 18:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchHeretic Templar
Quote:
Removing doctrines would require a major errata to the IG codex and I think GW has stated they do not intend to release any more erratas just FAQs till a new codex comes out (though I can't find a link to this right now). Even if they keep doing erratas removing doctrines would be a much more dramatic change than any errata they have ever released in the past.
I believe he is refering to the new IG codex that is stated for release around 09
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Old 27 May 2008, 18:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Which is why you either put them in front of tanks whose LOS they don't block or hide non-shooting squads behind them to advance with the mobile wall, like a Repentia squad or Grey Knights.
[/quote]

You just made me cream my pants a little. Grey knights behind cheap-o infantry that block LOS. That's pretty much disgusting.
Old 27 May 2008, 18:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't even want to guess what GW is going to do to the IG if and when the new codex comes out. We may not even have conscripts at all. I suspect, however, that doctrines will just get included into unit's upgrade blocks so commissars will be upgradable to be an IC and can then join the conscripts if they are still a unit choice.
Old 27 May 2008, 20:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

5th edition has not yet been released. When it comes out, feel free to discuss the new rules as much as you'd like.

This thread is now locked. Any more 5th edition rumours threads should be posted in the Rumours board. If I see any more speculation threads, the poster will be smited.

Closed Thread