Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

leman russ sponson weapons
Old 24 May 2008, 00:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default leman russ sponson weapons

I'm starting a fairly infantry heavy imperial guard army and I'm taking a leman russ demolisher, which i intend to use mostly in support of the infantry. i was planning on giving it a lascannon and two multi meltas so that if it ran into an enemy tank it could use more accurate weapons than the demolisher cannon to counter it. what are your opinions. on this matter.
shas,o kauyon,va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2008, 02:18   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: leman russ sponson weapons

Do note: That one Leman Russ Demolisher will be a fire magnet and your opponent will concentrate all his/her anti-tank upon it. That will make that expensive Demolisher blow up

Get more tanks and keep them cheap. Give them Heavy Bolters.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2008, 04:59   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

true about the bullet magnet but i wonder what point amount because the tanks are bullet magnets in low point games and i wonder how many point game you are playing and what else is on your list just infantry???
Old 24 May 2008, 11:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You will rind that around here, everyone always tells you basically the same thing: More tanks!!! It's true that having more tanks helps, but it also costs money to buy another one, so here's how to best use the Demolisher you have.

The Demolisher is an infantry support vehicle, and thus it's weapons all have rather short range, but some of them are still quite powerful. So which ones do you use?

Side Sponsons

Mutli Meltas: The only other way to get multi meltas in a non Elysian army is to use tech priests, so many players jump at the opportunity. The multi melta is outstanding for close range tank busting, but it's virtually useless against most infantry. It's ridiculously short range also limits it. I do not recommend the multi melta.

Plasma Cannons: The plasma cannons are one of my favorite weapons. S7 AP2 with a blast? Excellent for killing terminators. The problem is that they are expensive, and you probably will never fire them, as your demolisher cannon is still more powerful. If you do want a powerful side sponson that doesn't scatter though, the plasma cannon is for you. It also has good range so you won't have to be shaking hands with the enemy in order to fire.

Heavy Bolter: Cheap and effective. These boy's put out 6 shots, which means you will probably get 3 hits a turn. With good strength and AP, these weapons are excellent for taking out most infantry. They have the same range as the plasma cannon, but you will have many more opportunities to fire them.

Heavy Flamer: You can get a stronger weapon with more shots for the same price. Why would anybody take it?

Hull Mounted

Lascannon: You can get a lascannon for cheap on your demolisher. It has excellant strength, ap, and range, so is perfect for taking out any hard targets as you advance towards the enemy. Taking a lascannon also means that if the enemy gets lucky and destroys your demolisher cannon, you still have an effective weapon to make your tank earn it's points back.
Heavy Bolter: Once again, and excellant infantry support weapon. When you have 2 side sponsons with heavy bolters, that gives you a total of three heavy bolters, which is the equivalent of a fire support team. Very effective against infantry. I would not recomend it however, because taking a hull heavy bolter leaves you with no anti tank options save the demolisher cannon.
Heavy Flamer: Same as before. The IG does not want to get that close to an enemy.

In summary. I recommend a hull mounted lascannon, and 2 heavy bolters for your demolisher. This will give you excellent anti infantry capability, and will allow you to knock out any heavy armor as you roll into range with your dreaded demolisher cannon.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2008, 16:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I sort of agree with Vallessian, although I'd suggest just taking 3 heavy-bolters, straight up. Turn 1 you can charge forward, unleash 9 infantry slaying shots and then start bombing with the Demo-Cannon on turn 2. It's tied for cheapness with a no sponsons hull cannon russ and much more effective
Old 24 May 2008, 22:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Relatively good post Vallessian, +1.
Old 25 May 2008, 02:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I tend to disagree here. Unlike armies such as Tau, IG does not have the luxury of splitting fire (save super heavies), so while the las/bolter combo is good in theory, it does not work well in practice as either the horde killing or tank busting ability is wasted. Also, in 5th defensive weapons are Str4 and lower making the decision is harder.

5th Edition is not released yet, is it? Let's not talk about it in advance. I'm sure it will be talked about enough.-AC
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 02:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Not sure where you are coming from, as that pattern for the demolisher has proved very effective for me. Fire the lascannon as you advance to pop enemy armor, then when you are in range fire the heavy bolters to soften up the infantry, then blow the rest of them away with the demolisher cannon.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 03:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallessian
Not sure where you are coming from, as that pattern for the demolisher has proved very effective for me. Fire the lascannon as you advance to pop enemy armor, then when you are in range fire the heavy bolters to soften up the infantry, then blow the rest of them away with the demolisher cannon.
what he's saying is that while yes you can use a demolisher like that. On most boards your heavy bolters will be in range first turn as will your lascannon of course. But if you fire at tanks your HBs will be wasted(more likely) or if you fire at infantry your lascannon wouldn't be as effective. so you're wasting shots either way because after the first long range turn you probally will be firing the demolisher cannon every turn.

in other words you're wasting points you could be spending on other things. Not to mention that 3 HB will cost the same points as a single lascannon. Besides if both you and your opponent deploy at the 12 inch mark in you're deployment zone you can move forward 6 inches and be fireing the big gun the first turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shas,o kauyon,va
I'm starting a fairly infantry heavy imperial guard army and I'm taking a leman russ demolisher, which i intend to use mostly in support of the infantry. i was planning on giving it a lascannon and two multi meltas so that if it ran into an enemy tank it could use more accurate weapons than the demolisher cannon to counter it. what are your opinions. on this matter.
On to the original question.

as stated it's going to be a magnet for every weapon that has a slight change of hurting it. I would suggest a standard russ to back it up when you get the money(if you can't afford one right now ) but as for the lascannon and multi-meltas, I think that it's becoming a points sink.

If you are only running a single tank at least make it cheap(hull heavy bolter and nothing else except possibly extra armor and smoke launchers). The only real reason to take the demolisher if for the heavy gun and frankly it's more useful as an anti-tank gun than the lascannon and multi-meltas(exspecially if it's surrounded by infantry) because it can usually scatter about 3 inches and still cause full damage, not to mention the special rules ordinance gets against tanks (2d6 choose the highest, it's on chart for damage, etc.). Besides you're better off having lascannons in your infantry squad to take out enemy armor.

I have 3 suggestions about weapons.

1) a single heavy bolter, the main reason you want the tank is for the main gun. It's cheap so you can fit more stuff in your infantry squads, and it also keeps the enemy from gaining too many victory point with one lucky hit.

2)3 heavy bolters. Its only 10 points more but it's got 6 more shots. The only reason you have 3 other guns besides the main cannon is in case that demolisher cannon is destroyed. You may possibly want to look into buying a heavy stubber for the tank too, 12 shots at 36 inches is nothing to sneeze at.

3) a single lascannon. It's the same cost as the 3 heavy bolters but it can be used to target tanks instead of infantry but it's still cheap enough that you don't kick yourself whenever it's destoryed.

The reason most folks here say get another tank is because if you get a second tank it'll draw fire as well, making fire at both tanks less effective.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 13:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallessian
What people are saying is that you cannot split the fire of your sponsons or hull mounted weapons. So you'd be wasting a lascannon shot if firing at infantry and vice versa for heavy bolters if you fire upon a tank.

The "tactic" you mention isn't really a tactic at all. You are basically just telling us what each weapon is appropriate against.