Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some questions...
Old 20 May 2008, 19:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Some questions...

I'm interested in starting an imperial guard army, and I wish to ask some questions:

1) To start a normal army, an hq and 2 troop choices, do I have to get for example 4 10 man squads and 3 command squads?

2) About command squads, how many members should they consist of?

Thanks very much
Pesmerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 20:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesmerga
I'm interested in starting an imperial guard army, and I wish to ask some questions:

1) To start a normal army, an hq and 2 troop choices, do I have to get for example 4 10 man squads and 3 command squads?

Thanks very much
1) The minimum required for a IG list would be 2 command squads, 2 10 man squads, and then either 1 command squad and 2 10 man squads, 1 10 man squad and a chimera, or 1 conscript platoon of whatever size you wanted.

2) 5 men. 1 officer and then 4 guardsmen with whatever options you buy.
ArchHeretic Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 20:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Welcome to the Forums, I see you're interested in the Guard eh? Well, welcome to the Ranks.

Quote:

Thanks very much
1) To start a starting legal army, you'll need two command squads, these will be (1) Command Squad and (1) Troop Command Squad where these guys lead your men. Now, a Troop Command Squad may command up to six squads of ten men. But lets shorten that down to four, for the time being. :P You may have one Armored Fist Squad per Platoon, a Platoon may be up to 4 or 6 squads of ten men. Conscripts, well these boys are used for meat shields apparently, this means that these boys run out into the field and get shot down whilst the normal squads bring their guns to the enemy. (But you don't have to include Conscripts in a army).

2) 1 Officer and a personal staff of four Guardsmen. Five men in all.

And you're very welcome by the way.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 23:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi Sensei
Welcome to the Forums, I see you're interested in the Guard eh? Well, welcome to the Ranks.

Quote:

Thanks very much
1) To start a starting legal army, you'll need two command squads, these will be (1) Command Squad and (1) Troop Command Squad where these guys lead your men. Now, a Troop Command Squad may command up to six squads of ten men. But lets shorten that down to four, for the time being. :P You may have one Armored Fist Squad per Platoon, a Platoon may be up to 4 or 6 squads of ten men. Conscripts, well these boys are used for meat shields apparently, this means that these boys run out into the field and get shot down whilst the normal squads bring their guns to the enemy. (But you don't have to include Conscripts in a army).
Wrong! A platoon may be between 2-5 squads. Please check your codex before leading new members astray.

First and foremost you have your HQ Command Squad. This consists of your officer of choice and the four men that accompany him.

Then you have your first platoon that consists of the platoon command squad and 2-5 infantry squad.

To fill the second troops choice in the Force Organization Chart , you can either take another infantry platoon, or an armoured fist squad that is composed of an infantry squad and a Chimera transport or a conscript platoon that consists of 20, 30, 40 or 50 conscripts.

Cheers!
Old 20 May 2008, 23:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The codex is quite clear that an infantry platoon contains 2-5 infantry squad, but since you may take one armored fist squad per infantry platoon, the armored fists are essentially part of the platoon they are taken for.

Therefore a full infantry platoon contains a command section, 2-5 infantry squads, and an attached armored fist squad, making 6 squads in total.

Just to clear up some of this rediculous arguing.

An basic Imperial Guard formation consists of:

1 Command Squad consisting of an officer, 4 guardsmen, and any attached advisers such as commissars, psykers, and priests.
2 Infantry Platoons

An infantry platoon consists of:
1 command section, containing a junior officer, 4 guardsmen, and any advisers.
2-5 10 man infantry squads

Therfore with the basic HQ and 2 Troops choices, (without any advisor's attached to the command sections) you have a force of 55 men.

As a side note, this is more men than most 2000 Pt marine armies field. ;D

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 00:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallessian
The codex is quite clear that an infantry platoon contains 2-5 infantry squad, but since you may take one armored fist squad per infantry platoon, the armored fists are essentially part of the platoon they are taken for.
That doesn't work either, as some people may assume by you saying that is that only one Troops slot is filled.

People, think before you post! For gods sake, is it necessary that you repeat what other people have said before? You're only contributing to any more sense of confusion. Especially when you're wrong.

And honestly, Pesmerga, read the stickies or use the search function. This thread has been answered hundreds of times.

Why can't I moderate the super tame members that inhabit the Eldar board...*mutter*
Old 21 May 2008, 00:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallessian

Therefore a full infantry platoon contains a command section, 2-5 infantry squads, and an attached armored fist squad, making 6 squads in total.
wait what ???

no

A infantry platoon is a command squad and 2-5 infantry squads. An armored fist is another troop choice. You can only have one armored fist squad per infantry platoon, the exact same with conscript platoons. By your logic an infantry platoon could have 115 men (5 in command 50 in infantry squads, 50 from a conscript platoon, and then 10 from the armored fist squad).

the rule is
Quote:
Up to one Armoured Fist squad may be fielded for each infantry platoon.
note: it doesn't add a armored fist squad to a platoon.

and if you look at the list building objective on page 17 it has the armored fist squad as a seperate troop choice.

/rant

now that that's over with. You can have 6 squads in an infantry platoon. command squad, 5 infantry squads, and one remnant squad.

hope that clears it up

PS. @PocketGrim: because then you'd be working for the xenos :P
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 00:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Without the ability to take a heavy weapon, Remnants squads are basically useless.
Old 21 May 2008, 00:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

fluffwise yes you can have 115 men in a platoon, because the Junior Officer is still the commander of the men attached to his platoon.

And remnant squads can earn their points back when equipped with a flamer and charged at the enemy.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 00:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

fluffwise maybe

but we're talking rules here
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote