Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Veteran starting up some IG - calling backup!
Old 14 May 2008, 12:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to OmikronAlpha
Default Tau Veteran starting up some IG - calling backup!

Hi guys,

Been a while since I've played any 40k, been busy with other things. Dusted off the ol' Tau army and headed down to the local hobby shop the other day for a little blast-from-the-past, and got my butt handed to me by those fancy tanks of yours!

Now, although by my Tau standards, your treads and cannons and whatnot are somewhat primitive, I'm interested in getting my hands on a few.

I've got the codex, and I picked up a Armored Fist squad just to get my hands on some models. So my question is, what next? Ideally, I'd like a nice mix of tanks and infantry - I think I'd be hoping to keep the army nice and mobile; most troops having transports available, keeping my main offensive force on the move, pretty much the opposite of my static Tau army.

So, any tips on what to pickup next, what I should be looking for in the future, and what the required reading is would be great! Thanks all!
Old 14 May 2008, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tau Veteran starting up some IG - calling backup!

Primitiveness is irrelevant. The most advanced soldier in the universe can still be killed by a sharpened stick. We just modified our sticks so that they are made of lead and fly very fast at their target.

Okay, concerning Mobility. Most folks will tell you that the Guard is not a mobile army, and this is true to a point, but that does not mean that you cannot make them into a mobile army. Here are some options to make your army more mobile.

Chimera IFV
The Chimera is not a transport, but an Infantry Fighting Vehicle. It has armor equivalent to that of an Eldar tank, and carries an array of weapons such as the multi-laser, heavy bolter, and storm bolter which are excellant for ripping through infantry. And let's not forget that it can tank shock, and carry 12 Guardsmen, who tend to carry big nasty weapons on them.

In summary, an Armored Fist unit (10 Guardsmen w/Chimera transport) Can field some devastating firepower, is cheap, fast, and quite durable by guard standards.

Mechanized
This is one of our beloved doctrines you have probably heard about. It enables us to mount all of our infantry in a transport. All of your men will essentially become armored fists.

Hellhound Flame Tank
Basically, the hellhound is any infantryman's worst nightmare, as it is armed with the inferno cannon, which happens to be a souped up heavy flamer that has 24 range. This tank is perfectly suited to annihilate hordes.

Sentinels
These guys are the beloved units of fast attack junkies. Sentinels can be outfitted to serve as highly mobile anti tank, or anti infantry weapons platforms. They are also competent close combat units, especially when upgraded with the hardened fighters doctrine.

Rough Riders
Every Guard commander loves rough riders, but few actually use them because frankly, the models supplied by GW suck. It is possible to convert your own though or get some of of FW so they don't look so absurd.

Rough Riders when equipped with hunting lances have the ability to make things like terminators just disappear. They also are quite mobile as they are calvary units.

Russ Battle Tank
Due to my hatred of all things space marine, I simple call the Guard MBT the "Russ" so as not to include the full name of the space wolves primarch.

The Russ is arguably the best battle tank in the game, though many people will argue in favor of the hammerhead or land raider, I'll stick with the Russ.
The Russ is equipped with every IG commanders favorite weapon, the battle cannon. the Battle cannon is the best weapon for killing space marines which happen to be 90% of the armies out there. It can also be equipped with other weapons such as a hull lascannon, and heavy bolter sponsons.

Russ Demolisher Tank
If you want your army to be on the move, the Demolisher is your best option, in the tank department because it has heavier armor, and it sports the godly power of the demolisher cannon. It can also be equipped with powerful sponsons such as multi meltas and plasma cannons.

Those are just some suggestions for what you should pick up next. A Chimera IFV, Hellhound Flame Tank, Sentinel, or Russ Demolisher. Keep in mind though that you need to have an HQ and 2 troops to fight a battle, so you should first pickup a couple of boxes of infantry.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 15:22   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Hey OmikronAlpha! Welcome to the Imperial Guard.

OK, first; get rid of the notion of quality over quantity. In the Imperial Guard, QUANTITY over quality.

Give basic upgrades to your Infantry Squads and vehicles. Upgrade the Infantry Squads with all Special and Heavy Weapon for that firepower that the Guard is infamous for and either Vox-Caster or upgrade the Sergeant to Veteran Sergeant for that Leadership bonus. Vehicles; upgrade them with Extra Armor, Rough Terrain Modification and Smoke Launchers.

If you want mobility, Vallessian ha said it all. In a 2000 point list, you field 70 Guardsmen, 8 Chimeras and 3 Leman Russes. That and we still have 4 more Troop Slots ;D
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 15:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to OmikronAlpha

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive replies! Definitely got me excited about my guard - I do have a few (more) questions though!

Mechanized Doctrine - So this doctrine quite simply puts everything in a Chimera? Command squads, Heavy Weapon teams, etc? And is it just Chimera tanks that are eligible to transport units?

Rough Riders - I did see these guys in the codex and they look so cool! What's the easiest way to make some? The GW models are far too expensive (And not the nicest models) - Are the Lord of the Rings models around the same scale? Could I chuck some Kasrkin armor on a few High Elves and call it a day? :P

Colonel Zenai - So, 70 Guardsmen with 8 Chimera's leaves one transport spare, is that the go? Or are we talking about an infantry wall with IFV flanks? What's the general strategy?

Oh also, in terms of Heavy Weapons troopers, are they all okay to mount in Chimera's? I'm used to anything with a base that size having a jump-pack, so I was somewhat curious - the whole formation of the the guard platoons and whatnot is very different to the Tau, and I love that . But I am insanely confused ><

Finally, in terms of my next choices - For a troops choice I'll be going for some Cadian Troopers to fill out my second troops choice, but as far as HQ choice goes, it looks like my choices are a Command Squad or... a Command Squad? Anything else I can/should go for or is the command squad the way to go?

Thanks again for the great feedback guys, I really appreciate it!
Old 14 May 2008, 15:39   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

You cant do the Rough Riders thing legally, its part of the contract for the LotR range, and they are a slightly different scale.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 15:43   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Yes, for the Mechanized, you put EVERYONE in Chimeras. There's the word "MUST" in the explanation for Mechanized Doctrine.

Rough Riders: Alternative: Get some SM Scout Bikes and do a bit of conversion.

OK, HQ Command Squad and Platoon Command Squad each in their own Chimeras meaning 2 5-man Command Squad each have their own Chimeras. So that's 2 Chimeras and 10 bodies. Hope that clears up things.

Ya, it's OK to mount Heavy Weapons on the Chimeras. Do note; if you wish to fire them from the Chimera, they're counted as Open-Topped.
Old 14 May 2008, 15:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't have the codex in front of me, but I don't recall the Chimera being opentopped. It does, however, have 3 lasguns on each side that the passengers can fire. If no one is in there they don't fire.

And you can't fire heavy weapons from open topped vehicles anyway, cause they count as moving.

Piet
Old 14 May 2008, 15:57   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Chimeras aren't open-topped. Just saying when you're firing from the fire points (Top hatch) with that heavy weapon, it count as open-topped.

I thought if move 6", you can fire all your weapons on the Chimera including that Guardsman with the Heavy Weapon.
Old 14 May 2008, 16:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Another option for a mostly mechanized force would be to use the Grenadiers doctrine.

It lets you take up to 3 Stormtrooper squads as troops choices instead. And Stormtroopers get a transport option. Stormtroopers are better shots than regular infantry, and are generally better armed and armored as well. If you couple this with the Veterans doctrine, you could put together a small, but elite, force of HQ squad mounted in Chimera, 3 Veteran squads mounted in Chimeras, 3 Grenadier squads mounted in Chimeras, and a Hellhound all in about 1500 points. That gets you quite a bit of mobility, high BS, and armor. Granted, there's no heavy tanks in that list, but you can fiddle with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Zenai (General Zia'ne)
I thought if move 6", you can fire all your weapons on the Chimera including that Guardsman with the Heavy Weapon.
The Guardsman counts as moving, so he can only shoot his heavy weapon if he would normally be able to move and shoot a heavy weapon.
Old 14 May 2008, 16:35   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Ah, the Panzer Grenadiers (Storm Troopers with Chimeras). But I think they're too expensive. But that's just my opinion.