Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tank
Old 12 May 2008, 01:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default tank

I don't have a considerably big army at all. Just 6 storm troopers, two servitors, one techpriest, 41 plain guardsmen, one commisar, two snipers, 3 heavy weapons crews (3 models), and one battle tank. I almost always use my tank and seems to be the main target for the enemy and my most used unit for covering fire. how do I make it useful so it doesn't sit aroung lobbing shots? I've been told to just advance it, but whenever I do the other player uses his special and heavy weapons on the side. Please, I need help!

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 02:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: tank

Having only one vehicle means that it'll automatically be the target of all the AT firepower the enemy has.

Best solution? Get another tank .
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 14:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, another tank will solve your problem. They will still attract fire but you will have two of them so your opponent will have to split his firepower.

What I usually do with my Russ is tuck it into a corner of the board, preferably hull down, where I have a good angle of fire to hit the advancing enemy. The Russ is best when it is sitting motionless and shelling things.

Unless of course your Russ is a demolisher. Demolisher's are meant to advance forward and support the infantry.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 14:46   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

In my "casual" list, I always have at least four tanks;
  • A Leman Russ.
  • A Leman Russ variant (either a Demolisher, or something from Forgeworld).
  • A Chimera.
  • A Chimera variant (either a Hellhound, Griffon Mortar or Salamander Scout).

The Rule of Four seems to work well; you can swap them around a little bit, but having 4+ tanks seems to spread enemy AT fire nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 19:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well the Chimera isn't really a tank, it is an Infantry Fighting Vehicle, but an opponent unfamiliar with the guard will probably treat it as a tank.

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Old 12 May 2008, 20:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

It is classified as a tank. But I see what you mean. It can still put out a good deal of firepower against light infantry.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 22:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, by Eldar standards it is heavily armored but 12 front armor is simply unacceptable for an IG battle tank. And Its main weapon is only Str 6.

By my definition, a "tank" is a heavily armored behemoth that can be called in to blast into oblivion pretty much anything with it's main gun.

Old 12 May 2008, 22:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

By "classified as", I mean rules-wise. It is a tank, it uses tank rules. I agree with you, but you may be underestimating its usefulness, especially when the enemy's AT weapons are preoccupied with your heavy tanks. Several times a nice flanking manouver from a Chimera has caught enemy light infantry off guard, and hence dead.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 22:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

As others have highlighted, having one tank is basically suicide, as every one of your opponents anti-tank weapons will be pointed at it as soon as they can be. I'm assuming the tank in question is a Leman Russ, and if so there is one thing you can do - keep it at the back until it's safe. It's got a nice juicy Battle Cannon that can spell long-ranged doom for armoured troops, and if it's not behind cover it'll be more accurate, but unless you're playing Tau they shouldn't be able to freem it without advancing a bit. This is where you can set a trap. An example of such a trap is a full Sentinel squadron. They can advance behind cover until needed, then walk out 6 inches and blast the enemy anti-tank unit when they advance. If it's infantry, use multi-lasers or autocannons, if it's a light vehicle use an autocannon or lascannon squadron, and if your opponent's main anti-tank unit is a heavier tank like a Predator Annihilator, freem them with a lascannon squadron. The advantage of all these weapons is that they're quite long ranged, allowing you to be able to attack your opponent's anti-tank units before they get too close to your Russ. If possible, keep the Sentinels surviving for long enough to repeat the process with as many of your enemy's anti-tank units as possible. If you're playing with small points values, then your opponent shouldn't have too much anti-tank power, and if you get rid of that then you can have pretty much free reign of the board, which with a Leman Russ is a very good thing. 8) Hope that helped!

I also appear to be a Shas'el now. WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry about that)

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 08:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

get a basilisk.
or a salamander. or, to help it out with the anti-tank weapons, get some multi-laser sentinels. walk them as far as possible and shoot whatever happens to be in range. they are a nice distraction.

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote