Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some fluffy questions, technology, officer training, etc
Old 09 May 2008, 01:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Some fluffy questions, technology, officer training, etc

Right-oh then, I've been toying around with a little writing, and I have some fluff questions I just can't get answered. Believe me, I've tried, but even my google-fu and all the books I can get my hands on havn't helped me much.

The main regiment in my story is very low tech. Not warrior weapons low tech, but using very old weapons, Vox sets that are barely man-portable, no micro-beads (just hand signals for these guys). They're sort of a siege-ish regiment, not unfamiliar with trench fighting, but just as happy to ride in Chimeras or fight in an urban setting. I've been thinking about what their men should have, I'm considering that I may have to go with auto-guns to get the right feel. I'd like to do lasguns, as that is how they are modeled, but lasguns don't do things like jam. How low-tech can I get, and in what ways, without loosing the WWI/WWII feel and making them seem barbaric. The idea is that these guys have everything going against them; and just barely win (and sometimes loose) through dedication, sweat, and blood.

In the battle the story I've been thinking about revolves around, I think I want them to be stationed next to a very high-tech regiment, possibly have some background between the siege and high tech regiment's C.O.s. In a similar vein to the Tanith and Whatchyamacalems (Not the Patricians, but the other ones. I think their name started with a V, I Know they were in "First and Only", but I havn't read that book in years, sorry ;D ). So what are the upper limits of technology for the guard? Micro-beads of course, lasguns for sure. Should I make them grenadiers and give them all hellguns? I think that may get the right feel.

Next topic is how officers are trained. I'd like to have the main character (the CO) start as a Platoon Commander, but would a Platoon Commander (J.O.) be a commissioned officer, and hence have gone to officer training school? And if so, what is the name of said schools? Is there any fluff about these schools? I seem to remember a "Schola Pen-something", but I think that was for Commissars.

Also, any thoughts on what type of stuff you like to read? Battle scenes? Dialogue? Character development? Hell, love interests? I've read the advice in the fluff section, don't worry, no ridiculous heroics here. It'll be inspired by what I've read before (First and Only, Stankov's work, etc.), and most likely be highly influenced by Band of Brothers as that is what I am watching right now. It will most likely have a darker side, and the "hero" won't be particularly heroic.

Thanks for reading, stuff is swirling about in my head pretty crazy-like right now, so sorry if I'm hard to follow.

Any and all input is highly, highly appreciated!
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2008, 02:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to ilveIG159
Default Re: Some fluffy questions, technology, officer training, etc

In regards to
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
In a similar vein to the Tanith and Whatchyamacalems (Not the Patricians, but the other ones. I think their name started with a V, I Know they were in "First and Only", but I havn't read that book in years, sorry ;D ).
Could you posibly be thinking of Vostroyans? Anyway this doesn't have much to do with your question. Sorry
-IG

War is simply galaxy's hygiene.
ilveIG159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2008, 03:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

No, I looked it up, it was the Vitrian Dragoons. Thanks, though.
Old 09 May 2008, 04:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

JOs are typically equivalent to a lieutenant, I'm not extremely competent in real-world military issues, but I'm pretty sure thats the lowest commissioned officer rank in most armed forces. They're trained by the Departmento Munitorum just like the rest of the regular troopers, but obviously in more offcery type stuff. Schola Progenium is where men and women who eventually train to be Stormtroopers, Commissars, Inquisitors etc. are taught in their youth. It's an orphanage essentially.

As for tech limits, upper tech limits are pretty much everything Stormtroopers are equipped with: Targetting systems, hellguns, carapace armour, microbeads, gravchutes, landspeeders, widespread use of plasma and meltaguns. Lower limits would probably be about WW2 era with bulky comm systems and bolt action rifles, minimal body armour, flamers and Grenade launchers.
Old 09 May 2008, 04:23   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Since Imperial Guard regiments will often spend their entire lives away from their planets of origin, I am not sure a traditional OCS would be feasible. And if they were trained at a facility somewhere else, they might not retain their regiment's unique character. So my guess is that some officers are brought in from the beginning as cadets, and others are promoted in the field and then further trained for their new role during transit between systems. That would actually be a good use of the time, since the regiment could be cooped up in the transport ships for months at a stretch.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 00:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I don't really understand why people think autogun's are low tech. Lasguns are not high tech. They are probably produced at every Forge World out there and are extremely cheap to produce and purchase. Microbeads are not high tech either. You can walk into your local electronics store and buy a set of cheap radios for $20, why can Imperial Officers have access to them? I don't understand what Games Workshop was thinking when they said microbeads were "high tech".

You're going to have to think of other ways of making your regiment "lower tech". Perhaps they haven't had the ability to replenish their stockpile of newer technologies as quickly as they'd like?

Cheers.
Old 10 May 2008, 00:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The answer to your problem is either Tallarns or Valhallans. These equate to the Arabian and Russian nations in modern day life, which tend to be considered "low tech" by western standards.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 00:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Pocketgrim, I understand what you're saying, but you do understand where I'm coming from in that it gives them a different feel, right? The biggest thing with lasguns is that they seem fairly indestructible; it's never going to jam, it's pretty much never going to get dirt or shit in it that needs cleaning, etc. And I think that a jam can be a interesting plot device.

And since many guard regiments are supplied essentially by their own worlds, it makes sense that a world with few resources wouldn't be able to give them the luxury of micro-beads or the like, right? The Imperium is a big place, there have to be worlds that don't have the resources or the technology to give their soldiers the best technology- an opposite, if you will, to the finely-crafted guns of the Voystroyans.

Thanks everybody for the help with officer training. It'll help me a lot.
Old 10 May 2008, 09:33   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Just quickly, Autoguns are seen as primitive. If your regiment is equipped with Autoguns, then it's a laughing stock. Typcially, the Autogun is used by Siege Regiments, because it is cheaper to produce than a Lasgun, and the casualty rates are so high nobody sees the point of giving a semi-valuable weapon to the cannon fodder.

Autoguns carry a lot of negative connotations within the Imperial Guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 18:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Good, thats exactly what I was going for.