Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sentinal with flamer help
Old 08 May 2008, 12:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Sentinal with flamer help

For a long time I have had a couple of IG infantry squads painted up in Urban camo colors, sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
Last week I happened to come across a good deal on some 2nd hand IG models and jumped at the chance to finally have a go at playing with the IG.

One thing I am unsure about though is the best way of fielding Sentinels.

I now have 5 Sentinels, 4 armed with Flamers and 1 armed with Multi-Laser.
Does anyone have some advise on how best to organise these models into an army list?
(I always have the option of ripping of weapons and getting new ones, but would like to try out the flamers first)

I also have 1 Hellhound to compete in the FA slots.

I read through the sticky tactics post above, and I got the impression the flamer sentinels are not worth taking, but I would love to hear some other points of view.
Sargaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 14:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Sentinal with flamer help

what do you want to do with them?

I have a heavy flamer sentinal and love it. I play drop troops so it can be really effective.

if you're army is based on an urban warfare theme the heavy flamers fit the fluff excelently. as for organization I would got with the multi-laser by itself in the command platoon, and spliting the 4 flamer sentinals into 2 squadrons(2 squadrons of two sentinals). This way you'll still have a fast attack slot open for your hellhound(which also fits the urban theme).

They heavy flamers are short range but it also make the sentinals carrying them seem less of a threat when compared to your hordes of infantry with heavy weapons and heavier tanks(leman russ and hellhound). Because of that they'll have a better chance to survive to get close enough to use their heavy flamers. As for the weapon itself it's a great short range weapon. It auto hits making it great for the guard with majority BS 3. And it has a pretty good str and AP, cover is no protection as well, it will cut though the armor of anything less than a MEQ(TEQ and GEQ love cover, and this doesn't allow cover saves as previously stated) and the str is high enough for force quite a few saves on MEQs if you can get several good hits.

Depending on your playing style it may not be the best choice, such as if you plan on playing a gunline. But they are still good choices if you can us them correctly so I would say give them a try before you tear off the guns.

oh and Welcome to the Guard

-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 22:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sentinels are best when equipped with heavy flamers in my opinion, because they can get in close quickly, cook a unit, and then charge into close combat. They aren't the best close combat unit, but they have sufficient armor and strength to break through most infantry.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2008, 02:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the replies.
I am reassured a bit by the responses and I am going to go with the 2 x 2 option as suggested by Johnnyboy.

now.. of to the paint station for me
Sargaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2008, 03:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Remember, you don't need to use FA slots to use sentinels. Command squads can take them as support squads, a useful bit of info if you're low on FA slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 00:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sentinels with flamers don't appeal to me. They just don't have the effective range to do anything good that fit into my tactics. I don't like simply throwing points away, so I don't deep strike them ever as I know they're eventually going to be killed.

Autocannons are my favourite weapon for sentinels. The fact that they can threaten light tanks and heavier infantry is what really appeals to me. The sense of variety makes me feel that I have options of what to shoot at regardless what the situation is in the current game. Also, as the autocannon has two shots a turn, even with the BS of 3 there is a good chance I'll get at least one hit a turn.

Cheers!
Old 10 May 2008, 15:55   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

By mathhammer:
Use Multi-laser for infantry (even up to T6)
Use Autocannon for vehicles (up to AV13 and luckily most vehicles are AV13)
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote