Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to IG
Old 02 May 2008, 22:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Mobius
Default New to IG

Hey, Im thinking of starting an IG army. I was wondering, how is their army set up (whats the deal with platoons?) and what force (Death Korps, Catachans)

Any help would be thank you'ed

A Fire Warrior with an Ion Cannon on his head has an ion cannon on his head
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2008, 23:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: New to IG

Well the basic setup for an Imperial Guard army is:

1 Command Squad
2 Infantry Platoons

A Platoon consists of 1 Command Squad, and 2-5 10 man infantry squads.
The result is that an IG army with the basic 2 Troops and HQ consists of at least 55 men. If you want a large army, look no further than the IG.

There are millions of different regiments in the Imperial Guard, so theoretically you could use any human models you want to represent guardsmen, but GW currently produces the Catachan and Cadian models in bulk, so it would be easiest to start one of those armies. GW also has a good number of other models, such as Krieg, Vostroyaran, and Armageddon, but these are a bit more expensive.

I recommend the Cadians myself, simply because they are "standard" Imperial Guardsmen.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2008, 00:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hey, great to see another Guard player! ;D

Well, the platoons are what set Guard apart (other than the reason in my sig ) from the other armies. One platoon is one troop choice and is set-up like this:

Junior Officer+command squad
2-5 10-man Guardsman squads

So in theory, you could have 384 Guardsmen (each platoon can take 9 remnants, but you don't need to know what they are) in roughly about 2400 pts, and they are all Troop choices.

As far as an Army, there are several differant types. There are vanilla Guard, using the standard list. Then there are Doctrine Guard, where you use your 5 doctrine points to pick things like drop troops (self-explanitory), mechanised (every squad has transport), grenadiers (Storm Troopers can be Troop choice), and many more. The downside is that you need to buy back most of your elite, and some fast attack and Heavies with the remaining points.

Those are all in the Guard Codex.

Then there are the Forge World regiments which are in Imperial Armour books. They are Elysians (specialized, uber-drop troops) and the ever popular Death Korps of Krieg (siege/trench warfare). I don't have these rules, so I can't tell you how they are different, but know they have different lists and special rules.

There are also Armoured lists. The two are the free, chapter-approved list on the site, and then there is the (vastly superior) list in Imperial Armour. In these lists you can take tanks as Troop choices, Elites, Fast attack, and Heavy (all different kinds too, not just the standard Russ). Those lists also include some infantry (mainly the IA list).

I play the IA Armoured Battlegroup in addition to my Codex Guard and I will say: its tough. It takes some practice to learn how to lose one model and that be about 1/6 of your army. It has a much steeper learning curve compared to the Codex IG, even to a more experienced player. So I would recomend you getting the Codex and then going from there.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2008, 15:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hi there!

Welcome to Tau Online, I'm Pocketgrim, one of the IG board moderators. I really recommend you read all the stickies here, specifically this one.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message.
Old 05 May 2008, 00:20   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Mobius

Well ok, thanks for he help. I would buy a codex obviously before I started to buy models, but I lean more toward an urban fighting force. How is the IG in assault? Or is it a shooty army? How is mobility wothout being mechanized?

Thanks

A Fire Warrior with an Ion Cannon on his head has an ion cannon on his head
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 00:27   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Assault: Not so good. Swarm them.
Shooting: Good.
Mobility without Mechanized: Not so good.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 02:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

The Imperial Guard are a very shooty army through the sheer amount of heavy weapons they can bring to the tabletop. Your opponents simply can't kill all your units with heavy weapons!

In assaults, the Imperial Guard struggle. They're just not strong enough and don't live long enough to do much good at all. Although there are a lot of appealing upgrades that can be given to Command Squads to help them in assaults, they are not actually that effective.

Without your men being mounted in Chimera's, mobility is hard to achieve. Your infantry units may be able to infiltrate, but that doesn't really help as it only brings you closer to the enemy, which is really just closer to an assault.
Old 06 May 2008, 00:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Its always good to see a guard player.
One thing you will want with guard is the ordinance.
While the leman russ tanks may seem overpriced the can do alot.
My favorite example is my first match with guard, i was fighting dark eldar.
This guy had a monster of an archon, pimped out with a big bodyguard. he also took a really upgraded transport, I don't recall what it was. But with my first shot of the game the russ fires at some men next to it, as he positioned it behind cover, the battle cannon scatter directly onto it. of course I got Vehicle Annihilated. that was one third of his army in one shot.

And while I agree with the venerable Pocketgrim on most of his points there is one thing I must argue. For me guard are very good in assault. in one game my H.S.O. killed three wraithlord in close combat. of course I spend alot on my Officer but that's because I use his battle exploits in the stories I right. Strategy comes after a good read on my priority list.
of course this could be why I lose one in three matches when taking my H.S.O. instead of the normal one in four.
Anywho welcome to the guard!

First thing first, but not necessarily in that order! - Doctor Who

Fight well and Die well. What more can a guardsmen hope for?

Duality is key, good and evil, dark and light, only when both come toghether can man truly prosper.- Lord Bale

No matter what you do to me I am safe in the knowledge that nobody cares about me anyway!
Psyker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2008, 02:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyker11
And while I agree with the venerable Pocketgrim on most of his points there is one thing I must argue. For me guard are very good in assault. in one game my H.S.O. killed three wraithlord in close combat. of course I spend alot on my Officer but that's because I use his battle exploits in the stories I right. Strategy comes after a good read on my priority list.
of course this could be why I lose one in three matches when taking my H.S.O. instead of the normal one in four.
Anywho welcome to the guard!
A little offtopic maybe, but how is that even possible?
Old 06 May 2008, 09:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to shaso kunas

first off welcome to gaurd, its good to see the SM aren't getting all the new players

on an army note i recomend standard IG with cadian models. if you need any help with a list I literally have time to burn so you can drop me a personal message and i'll be happy to make one with you. for fluff (regimental background, ect) the cadian models fit most regimental histories and certainly go very nicely with a city based regiments (my own regiment being city/ad mech based ;D) gaurd don't do awfully well in assault and the doctrines aren't an awfull lot of help for a cityfight army, exept maybe carapace (light infantry is helpfull, just often means mass conversion and makes them not awfully good outside dense terrain) i find that making each model with the same equipment and giving them most of the stuff they can have gives them a very good tough, ready for anything force and a paint scheme with city camoflague and a bit of finery goes very well.

shaso kunas is offline   Reply With Quote